Outdoors
Sponsored by

Traction for kids John Deere gator

21,689 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by Bluto
Twix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any suggestions for getting traction on the wheels? We got a used gator for our kiddo, and it spins horribly on grass and some gravel. I'm debating trying a spray on rubber and just coating the wheels with that. I also found traction bands online, but concerned they might slip off.

Anyone else have this issue or have a remedy that seems to work?
birdman
Put some sacks of feed in the bed.
SWCBonfire
AG
Diamond tread conveyor belt (baler belt) and some self-drilling screws would probably work.
schmellba99
AG
Ballast in the bed- bag of concrete or something similar.
Centerpole90
AG
Sheet metal screws FTW.

Swarely
Christ that wheel looks mean as ****
milkman00
AG
try putting a cinder block in the bed. Then the kid can pretend he is going to build something too.
TexasRebel
AG
Put Cat tracks on it.
Twix
AG
Ok...let's look at this from a 2 3/4's perspective. Nothing can go in the bed because that's where he puts his toys and other stuff he "needs" to haul around. If I put a couple sacks of feed, the thing is going to flip over. I can't put a cinder block back there because he will likely try to lift it out and drop it on his foot. Plus, this prevents him from lifting the bed himself.

Note: I'm trying to minimize arguments and reasoning with my child. Those of you with kids completely understand where I'm coming from.

I need something for the wheels. Either a spray on treatment for the wheels or possibly traction bands. I even read where some parents "modified" their kids power wheels and put on rubber tires.

I'm just looking for something one of you has possibly tried with success.
Todd 02
AG
Why not just try to find some rubber tires? Lawn mower tires or the like would be about the right size.

ETA: Or try these: Traction Bands

[This message has been edited by Todd 02 (edited 12/31/2012 9:58a).]
Cole Trickle
AG
My kid has the Gator.

Traction bands are going to be the way to go. Google "power wheels mods" or something similar and you will see what others have done.

I'm with you on the other suggestions...no way a 2 yr old lets you keep sacks of feed or a cinder block back there. That's where the other crap they "haul" goes (toys, dirt, rocks, dog, etc.)

I'm lucky that my kid doesn't get too crazy with his. When he wants to ride, I turn the wheel all the way left and he drives in a big circle until the battery dies. No desire to ever turn it!
Twix
AG
The traction bands don't slip off? That's my only concern with them. If you haven't had any problems with them, that's likely the route we'll take.

Thanks!!
Cole Trickle
AG
I haven't needed any additional traction for mine, so I can't give you a review on them. Online they seem to be the most popular route.
35chililights
AG
Looks like the limited traction is a design used to save the gear box.

I would leave it alone.

http://www.modifiedpowerwheels.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3886

I taught my kiddo how to pick a better line going up slopes. Of course he is 4.5, and you will have your work cut out with a 2-3 year old.

[This message has been edited by 35chililights (edited 12/31/2012 11:26a).]
Cole Trickle
AG
Eh..gear boxes are about $20 and are gonna wear out anyway. Just my opinion, but get the kid some traction. Once my 2.5 yr old gets a little older I'm gonna throw some more juice in it too.
ag-guy
AG
Duct tape?
RoseRichAg01
Cheeseburgers and malts?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Drive it on concrete?
Bluto
AG
My 2 year old got the hot wheels jeep wrangler for Christmas. Not quite big enough for the gator. We're having traction problems too. I thought about some kind of spray on rubber type of substance for the wheels. Putting actual rubber wheels on would be too heavy. Let me know how the traction bands work out if you go that route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.