Outdoors
Sponsored by

PSA for deer hunters.

3,642 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by LGAggie
LGAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I meant to post this weeks ago but got busy and forgot. It may be a little late, but here goes anyway.

For all you hunters stressing about corn costs this year, do some "hunting" and find yourself a local corn farmer. My dad has been farming Fayette county since he was still at A&M and has been selling direct to hunters for probably as long. He doesn't only sell to hunters, but takes care of them as best as our own feed needs will allow. I don't think he's ever turned anyone away but I could definitely be wrong on that. Not all years are as plentiful as this one.

Right now he's selling bulk corn for $12.50/100 and sacked for $14/100. That's at least $6 a hundred cheaper than anything I've seen in stores. This corn isn't recleaned and will have some sticks, broken kernels, and leaf particles in it. But, in almost 20 years of hunting using only our own corn, I think we've only ever had 2 sticks stop up a feeder.

So, do some legwork, find a farmer, save some cash, and support your local economy. Buy direct from a producer.
shalackin
AG
thats pretty cheap
TexAg0308
AG
Thomas Moore Feed between Navasota and BCS on 6 has it at $7.95 / 50 lb bags if anyone is looking for some out that way. They are even selling their apple flavored corn at $7.95 / 50 lb bag. That was the price this past weekend.
Zone Club
Buying by the ton.
LGAggie
AG
$16/100 is by far the cheapest I've seen from a feed store. I haven't done a whole lot of shopping around though so maybe I'm off on my pricing guesstimates.

Does apple flavored corn make a difference and if so, how can you tell it does?
Corps_Ag12
AG
get two 5 gal buckets fill them up half way with each type of corn, fill with water, and store in a cool dry place. use google for the rest of the details
Bobby Ewing
AG
I laugh every time I see one of these threads. Corn is probably the cheapest part of hunting. In the first place, you really don't need it, and you always put out less if you absolutely need it.

I do agree with the OP that you can save money by buying it direct from the farmer or buying it in bulk and sacking it yourself. When you buy sacked corn your are just paying the middle man and paying for convenience.

I've been farming all my life and don't have enough fingers and toes to count all the years I've sold corn for $2, $3, and $4 a bushel. That doesn't pay the bills. Now we're finally getting what it's worth and all I hear is *****ing about "DEER corn prices". Come on man!

If you can afford the lease, the gas to get to the lease, the ammo, the food, time off from work, you can afford the corn.
DJ Lance
Please reread the thread and point out where someone made a comment about being upset with farmers selling corn at attractive prices.

Find another place to vent.
HouseDivided06
AG

LGAggie
AG
It's all about perspective!

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.