Outdoors
Sponsored by

Speaker Cooler

8,885 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by igotworms
igotworms
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here are the pictures from my speaker cooler build...

I know some of you aren't fans of these things, but wanted to share this with the OB!

[This message has been edited by igotworms (edited 7/7/2012 6:22p).]
FIDO*98*
AG
That's bad ass. Who wouldn't be a fan of that?

Specs?
LGAggie
AG
Very nice. We used a rectangular cooler instead of square. Only have 6x9's but it is plenty loud. Can it be drown out by another cooler on the river? Yes, but only 1 that we've come across so far. And, I will never be "that guy" with a cooler radio boasting a 1/2 mile of the river. My group always wants to turn it up the farther into the beer cooler we get. I think we are using a 400 watt amp right now.

Do you have controls on the exterior? Those and a cigaret lighter are the 2 things I would add.

They are hella useful. Tailgates, parties, the river, the lake, friends over for dinner and on and on and on.

[This message has been edited by Lgaggie (edited 7/7/2012 9:37p).]
Centerpole90
AG
aggielostinETX
AG
have spare cooler.... are you using marine batteries?
LGAggie
AG
Not in mine. We were a bit restricted on space so we just went to Walmart with our max outside battery demensions and bought the biggest that would fit. I think my battery is for a civic or other small car. I've even heard of people using motorcycle batteries. my battery is starting to give out and it's only a couple years old. It used to go 8+ hours and now it starts to lose volume around 8 hours. For that reason I'd say steer clear of the smaller batteries. Go with the biggest you can fit, preferably deep cycle.
Centerpole90
AG
Moar details on amp sizing / speaker selection / expected battery life.

I've contemplated building one of these to keep in the livestock trailer and pull out when we're at jackpot stock shows. The durability is a big draw. Plus it doesn't tie up an electrical outlet that's already overloaded w fans and blowers.

TIA
aggielostinETX
AG
centerpole,
check out amazon for pyle kits...
TexAgg_IE
AG
http://motorboatyourself.com/

This site has a lot of info and I can vouch that the coolers they have are durable and loud.
LGAggie
AG
For speakers I just found some marine 6x9'scthat had great reviews and went with them. All speakers have a "normal" watt and peak watts. Buy on the normal wattage not the peak. Then, when you pick your speakers order an amp with good reviews that is 50-100 watts more than the normal wattage on the speakers. I think my 6x9's are 200 watt/300max or somethIng like that. We got a 400 watt amp to push them (200 w per speaker). Could have maybe gone with a 500 watt but we had to use what Walmart had. We were finishing the day before a trip and it had to be done.

Wire the battery to the amp, the speakers to the amp, and get the right cord to plug an iPod straight into the amp. Easy peasy.
PooDoo
AG
Should've used a Yeti!
2/10 wnb
igotworms
AG
LG - Nice Build! Is this your first build? Looks great!

Centerpole - Not sure on battery life, but I'm testing it out on Tuesday evening during an Ultimate League. I'll let you guys know.

Speakers - Dual 6x9's - 175 watts max (Academy)
Dual 6.5's - 125 watts max (Academy)
Amp - Pyle Hydra 4 Way Amplifier
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3A-4-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B003K154IE
Battery - 375 amp 12v Lawn and Garden Battery (Wally World)
Etc - Lights, Dry Box, Switches, 12v (Wally World)

[This message has been edited by igotworms (edited 7/9/2012 9:42a).]
LGAggie
AG
Thanks. Yeah that's the first and only one I've built.
igotworms
AG
Nice Job! Enjoy it man! I use my old one weekly and the new one will take its place on the ultimate fields, fishing docks and beaches all over!
Centerpole90
AG
Are you getting stuff together Deats??? I had thought of taking the easy way out and buying one... but that wouldn't be much fun...
aggielostinETX
AG
I will build one. Just don't have a reason quite yet. But Labor day ain't far away...
Aggie7156
Looks good. This is the one I built last year and taking to the river again in 2 weeks.

I usually dont crank it up unless a reason to. Last year there was a group of little punks that kept playing the tu fight sond over and over. They didnt have much of a system so I put the War Hymn on and cranked it up. They paddled off pretty quick. The other time was a group of girls on a raft. They wanted the boom music. Within 30 seconds tops were coming off.
LGAggie
AG
Very nice!

When you use it do you leave the top open? If closed, no vibration problems?

Give us some specs man! Watts? Speakers? Pics of the inside? Everything!

[This message has been edited by Lgaggie (edited 7/11/2012 7:39p).]
Centerpole90
AG
< waiting on a box from Amazon....
Aggie7156
Yea I leave it open 90% of the time unless we go through some rapids.

Alpine 4 channel 300 watt Amplifier
Alpine 10 inch Subwoofer
Sony xplode 250 MP headunit
4 Kenwood 6.5 speakers

Inside is like a birds nest

Put charging terminals on there also so we can charge it up easily

Not the greatest but it works...ill probably tinker with it after the river
scottyk4886
AG
I see one problem with all these ice chests... WHERE DO YOU PUT THE BEER!!!! I built one that is 1/3 radio (with good sound quality) and 2/3 beer space back in 2007 but I do not have any pics with me. To me it is a waste of a tube to rent one JUST for your radio.

I'll take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow.
igotworms
AG
Nice, please post pics of your wet/dry build... That's going to be my next one!
igotworms
AG
The maiden voyage went well! The speaker is plenty loud and I got plenty of compliments! The battery also lasted 4+ hours and didn't have any signs of stopping when we got out!

There was some water inside the cooler, so I'm going to have to put some more silicon on the outside!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.