Outdoors
Sponsored by

What are your thoughts on 1 stage vs 2 stage AC units?

16,408 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by chocolatelabs
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting nothing on home improvement board.

Replacing our HVAC system.
Debating between 1 stage and 2 stage.
Do you have any experience with or opinions about 2 stage sytems?
Any reason not to go heat pump?

Thanks I;ll hang up and listen.
Colt98
AG
I have two 2 stage units downstairs at my house, single stage 2 speed upstairs. My ac bill for 5k swift runs $200-$300 in summer and that's with a pool running 7-12 hrs a day. If you plan on living in the house more than 5 yrs go 2 stage. My main compressors rarely ever kick on.
schmellba99
AG
Where are you located?

I forget which one, but heat pumps are pretty efficient, I believe, with lower humidity. With higher humidity, they lose their efficiency fast and wouldn't be something that I recommend.

Agree with the poster above - if you are going to be around for a while, go 2 stage. If you are going to be selling the house soon, get whatever works for now and get out.
FIDO 96
AG
We just built (5400 sf). We are 100% spray foam encapsulated and have two heat pumps. With kids in and out all day and house stays constant at 62....$127 per month so far.

My 2100sf house built in 1986 upgrade to a 16seer and was still paying $380 per month.

Pay for extra insulation. It pays you back.
BTHOthatguy
You will have no issues going with a 2 stage. Just make sure it is 410-A. The government has restricted the manufacture of R-22 and the price has gone through the roof. If you ever get a leak you don't want to have to pay for the much more expensive refrigerant.
BrazosDog02
AG
I have a two stage compressor/variable speed air handler Heat Pump. It services 2400 square feet on three zones. The other 2300 square feet is the upstairs, and is not serviced/finished off yet. The downstairs stays at 50% humidity give or take. In fact, we rarely set the AC colder than 77 because its just too damn cold. I wouldn't have any other system if I had the choice. The unit runs much more frequently at a lower speed than a single stage by design, and that's how your humidity level is controlled. If you can afford the system, I think its worth it.

Before my second story is drywalled, its going to be foam insulated like FIDO...I agree with his assessment as well...good insulation is worth it. In fact, if you are a planning on ever sealing off the attic by way of spray foam insulation, you should seriously consider doing the AC at the same time. If you insulate properly and leave your current AC setup as is, you COULD be OVER air conditioned and it won't work properly or as designed. The two need to be done as a unit. Ever see a 5000 square foot house serviced by a single 5 ton AC unit...that's how they do it.

[This message has been edited by BrazosDog02 (edited 5/21/2012 3:32p).]
chocolatelabs
AG
Fido is correct.

Insulate and then insulate some more.

2 stages is much more efficient that one. Get the most efficient unit you can afford.

AG Custom
AG
FIDO...you keep your house at a constant 62 degree? Now that is the coldest i have ever heard anyone keeping a temp at.
trip
AG
I have 15 years experience in this.

If you stay for 4+ years get the 2 stage. If less get a single.

Clear up some facts. Had a monitor system on one job. It ran 852 hours on the small stage and 3 hours on the big. What I am saying is you will you very little electricity for the size of the house. The small one will run longer thereby removing more humidity.

All units sold now are R-410A. you can't get a R-22 unit anymore due to regulations.

Heat pumps are not worth the extra money in high humidity areas of Texas (Houston). I do recommend a gas furnace if you have the option.

Insulation has around a 8-12 year payback on a new home (with a high seer unit and min insulation acceptable level).

Radiant heat barriers kick a$$.

Any other questions, ask.

[This message has been edited by trip (edited 5/21/2012 9:18p).]
DannyDuberstein
AG
^
|
couldn't agree more. With all of it
chocolatelabs
AG
Correct, but radiant paint doesn't payback. now a true radiant barrier (the foil stuff) does payback.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.