Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake nesting under my deck, how do I encourage it to leave?

56,258 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Death works, too.

I had seen a black snake in my yard a while back. I wasn't that close and couldn't ID. Then during the freezes I noticed an area under the edge of the deck that had been used by an animal to get under the deck. We have a ton of squirrels, so I figured one of them was going under there.

I kicked a bunch of pine needles over it to see if that entrance was still being used. I went out and checked today and it sure is. And there was a long snake skin next to is.

I'm not really a fan of snakes, so I am happy to go back to a snakeless yard. What's the quickest way to do that? How can I prevent them from seeing my yard as a great place to next in the future.

We don't have any pets, nor do we plan on it. So I am good with poisoning the hell out of everything.
WorkBoots09
AG
If the snake is an indigo, keep that sucker around. They are great on rats & other pests. We had one under out patio growing up, and my dad would almost brag about it.

If not, then I'd recommend beer + garden hoe. If not, then wait a couple of days until you're overrun by hogs. They'll take care of any snakes like they're candy.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Maybe the snake took care of the squirrels?
Goose
AG
I misread the subject line, thought it said desk.

I also thought you sounded a lot calmer about the situation than I would be if I had a snake living under my desk.

...that is all.
ghollow
AG
For what it is worth, my granpa would put mothballs out to get rid of snakes and he swore it worked. I have never had a chance to try it out for myself.
aggiepaintrain
AG
as Troy would say...
SHHHHOOOOOOTTTTTT IT!

Robk
Snakes don't "nest" they will on occasion use the same cover in their territory but that is about it. Chances are the snake is gone, if not there is not a lot you can do besides other animals (cats) and making sure to the yard is free of attractive cover.

I this is a pier and beam house crawl up under there and look in the nooks and crannies. Might find a couple TX Ratsnakes chilling out.
AZAG08
AG
quote:
as Troy would say...
SHHHHOOOOOOTTTTTT IT!

I think you mean CHOOOOOTTT IT
lglidewell
I hear mothballs are somewhat of a deterrent..
Post removed:
by user
Robk
Mothballs do not work long term or in open environments. They MIGHT drive a snake out of a tight enclosed space, but will not keep them out of your yard. the Snake=a=way at Wal-mart will work just as well.. i.e.. It won't
rather be fishing
AG
Mothballs will work for the time being while the snakes are out and about. They'll also keep rats and skunks and any other unwanted animals away.
Robk
Mothballs DO NOT work
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1041&context=ewdcc2

And in fact spreading mothballs around the yard is not the safest thing. Nothing has shown to be an effective snake deterrent. Removing habitat is the only sure fire way to reduce snakes in an area.

Here is an exert from the study.
quote:
RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
Mothballs were recommended by many
individuals as a good method of keeping
snakes out of a dwelling or away from
property. They suggested placing them
around the foundation of the house or
around the boundary of their yard. We
tested both types of mothballs
(naphthalene and para-dichlorobenzene)
in the olfactory and tactile modes. In
these trials, there was no reluctance by
the snakes to cross the grid through
which the odor was coming or to crawl
through the materials placed in the
chamber on a paper towel.

[This message has been edited by Robk (edited 4/25/2011 3:32p).]
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, I don't recommend mothballs. I've also watched them crawl over mothballs.
aTm2004
AG
Time to start blowing holes in your deck with a shotgun.
water turkey
you are supposed to EAT the mothballs....
aggiedent
AG
1. You never have a snake-less yard.
2. Since it sounds like it's definitely not a poisonous variety, why not leave it alone.
3. While you're at it, try learning to coexist with nature a bit. God's creatures have a purpose and are quite beautiful.
montanagriz
S
Cats... the only thing useful about them.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
2. Since it sounds like it's definitely not a poisonous variety, why not leave it alone.

I'm not worried about the snake being poisonous, I'm worried about it being venomous.

I live in an area with a lot of cottonmouths. Its wet enough here for crawfish to live in my yard.

If we were talking about a garter snake or king snake, I'd be all for it killing whatever it could find.

quote:
3. While you're at it, try learning to coexist with nature a bit. God's creatures have a purpose and are quite beautiful.

I'm happy to coexist with nature. I love nature. But I don't like cottonmouths hanging out where my wife and I like to lay down and read during the summer.
eric76
AG
Peacocks.
schmellba99
AG
Mothballs don't get rid of snakes. They do, however, tend to keep snake food away and snakes go where the food is, so keeping snakes out is a byproduct.

Get s spray bottle and put some gasoline in it. Spray under your deck in any area you can get to. I have never seen a snake that would tolerate the smell of gasoline. May not work permanently, but should work in the short term and with the occasional re-spray.
GurmTsu
Question about using moth balls...

How do you get their little legs apart?
ZooGuy
AG
Guineafowol? Aren't they good for keeping the area snake free?

But, if it's not venomous, I'd leave it alone. Keeps the area rid of rodents.
Arminius
Guineas keep just about everything away including scorpions. FIL had a bunch of them and he had only two complaints: they are stupid and loud. Not a single snake, grasshopper, scorpion or other pest on his hill country ranch.

I think GS lives in Houston so if there is an HOA, guineas may not be the answer.

You can:
  • Borrow someone's terrier or tabby and promptly return once said snake is gone
  • Shoot, shovel and shut up
  • Live and let live

Any way it goes, it sounds like you need to clean out the area under your deck to discourage animals or at least install some hardware cloth to keep them out of there...
DayAg!
S
Snakes hang around where they think they might score some snake snacks. If you have any trouble with mice and the like outside the snakes will show up. They also like to hang around watering holes and ambush stuff that comes to drink.

Chances are he has a food source close by and uses your deck for a daytime nap.
Robk
Unless there boards and other stuff laying on the ground under the porch we are most likely talking about it being either a Rat Snake or a transient snake that is gone by now anyway.

There is reason for this, snakes do not stay out in the open EXCEPT to sun. There is not sun (I would assume)under the porch. Even cover on the ground would not be too suitable for a snake (suitable as in the snake would regularly use it) because again under the porch the cover becomes almost useless for thermo-regulation. Porches (pier and beam type) are good for ratsnakes and semi-arboreal snakes as they crawl up into and around the crevices at junctures. This does provide a chance to thermoregulate as the sun heats up the boards. Food and thermoregulation are required for a snake to utilize an area for an extended period.

The only way is to make your yard less hospitable to snakes, and if your lawn is covered with crawfish holes it is going to be hard. Your best bet is to remove as much debris etc as possible (railroad ties used for gardens, flagstones used for walk ways, mulch piles, stacks of lumber, rocks etc). As stated above use some hardware cloth and block off the entrances. and then deal with each snake as they come. Most likely you will never see the snake that left the skin anyway.
Phantom309
AG
Communication is key. No way for snake to know how you feel if you haven't told it. Why do something rude like the mothballs if snake may be thinking of leaving already, but is just scared to let go? Maybe a talk could clear it up. Couldn't hurt.
Guitarsoup
AG
Snakes hate fire right?

And my deck is made of wood.

I've got.... an idea....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.