Outdoors
Sponsored by

getting a whole pig in DFW area

23,484 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by jh88ag
shiftyandquick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know there has been a thread on this in the past, but I can't find it.

Planning to roast a whole pig for the first time, in a couple of weeks. Probably a small one. Under 40lb.

Need suggestions on where to buy.
merle
AG
Kuby's
shiftyandquick
For about 25 people, how big a pig would you suggest?
shiftyandquick
I just called Kuby's and they said they don't see whole pigs, they just process them.
merle
AG
I'm not sure. We had one at a crawfish boil several years ago and i would guess it was 40 to 50 lbs before it was cooked. A buddy provided it, he bought it cooked from Kuby's. Contact them and see what they think.

6601 Snider Plaza
Dallas, TX 75205
Phone: (214)363-2231
Fax: (214)363-9673
bushman
AG
I could have brought you a boar or sow around 50#, shot them Saturday. They would have been good for cooking whole.
jh88ag
AG
Call Columbia Packing in Dallas. 214-946-8171. Wait until tomorrow morning. Already too late to get them today (they roughly operate 5:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm). Good people there. They can advise you and provide the appropriate size pig.
mts6175
AG
Search the DFW board, there was a post there about this a while back.
shiftyandquick
Haven't called Columbia yet. But went to the El Rancho Supermercado in Richardson. None of their butchers know any English, but a lady translated for me and they said they might have pigs in on Friday.
CoastGuardAg00
Vietnamese market in Carollton sells them. I just can't remember the name, sorry!
CoastGuardAg00
Here it is:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/vietnam-plaza-market-carrollton
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Same question but for the Houston area.

Gracias.
shiftyandquick
After a long drive in bad traffic, I have officially confirmed that that Vietnamese place does not exist at that address. Is it an empty suite available for lease.
Thunder18
AG
quote:
Search the DFW board, there was a post there about this a while back.

yep, remember seeing that thread a few months ago
Merph42
AG
Any Mexican grocery store. Specifically the Super Plaza at Webb Chapel and Royal.
shiftyandquick
Columbia $3/lb.

Super Plaza $1.49/lb. They said they can special order a smaller pig, but the smallest they normally carry is 90lb.

I also have a friend who hunts pigs who says he will give me one if he bags one in the next week.

So looks like I have some options.
CoastGuardAg00
quote:
After a long drive in bad traffic, I have officially confirmed that that Vietnamese place does not exist at that address. Is it an empty suite available for lease.

WTF? I was just there a month ago!
jh88ag
AG
Those Asian-owned markets in the DFW area mostly all get their stuff from Columbia anyway. May as well get it directly from the source.
shiftyandquick
what's the point when the Columbia price is double?
shiftyandquick
How do you say "do you sell whole pig?" in SPanish?
KRT-1
^
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/?fr=avbbf-us
jh88ag
AG
Be aware, if they special order you a smaller pig, the price/lb likely will go up significantly. Make sure you know before they order what it's going to cost. I will say that $3/lb. is high; but it somewhat depends on the size. It costs essentially the same to slaughter a small pig as it does a big one.
shiftyandquick
what about buying a big pig, and just roasting half, and freezing the other half?

Might look kind of lame, but that would solve my problem of finding a smaller pig.
jh88ag
AG
That would work if you have a big enough freezer.
shiftyandquick
So I may end up resorting to this.

shiftyandquick
I went back to the Plaza, and they only had 2 carcasses left. The smallest was 134lb. At 1.69 lb, it was just too much for my needs.

I went to an El Rancho Supermercado, and they said they will order a smaller pig for me. At about 50lb, $1.49/lb. The manager there explained to me that the smaller pigs (50lb and less) come frozen, and the larger ones come semi-fresh, but they are usually 120lb minimum. Same price /lb.

So that's what I've learned so far.
milkman00
AG
If you are going to cook a whole pig, you might as well go to an auction barn to buy it as well. Seguin has an auction twice a month. I've also seen locals selling them on the east side of most towns on Sat mornings.

Nothing like being able to say you took care of it from start to finish.
doubleag91
AG
I sell them at my place in Johnson City. We butcher them ourselves. I an get one delivered to Westphalia market in Westphalia. (SWof Temple) Smaller roasters are more expensive.
Email if you like, maybe I can help you out. kthompson at moment.net
shiftyandquick
dang, you're far. Too far for this weekend regardless. But I'll put your contact info in my "pig database."
shiftyandquick
See, getting a pig just keeps on giving...

I got the frozen pig from El Rancho, and it was apparent to me that it would not fit in any of my coolers. Nor did I want to put it in my chest freezer, because it needs to thaw.

So the wife gave me permission to buy a new cooler. The biggest one that Academy sells. Which will come in handy when I get to go hunting for the first time sometime in the future.

Not quite sure best procedure for defrosting. I have it in the 7-day igloo with a bag of ice. I"m afraid that cooler is insulated enough that it will just remain frozen in there.

I bought charcoal at the Plaza for about $2/10lb. I walked out with 120lb for about $23. I hope it's not loaded up with arsenic or something!

[This message has been edited by shiftyandquick (edited 11/17/2010 5:59p).]
TheEyeGuy
AG
We just had six hogs in a trap about 2 hours from DFW. Dad will be down next weekend and check it again, you might be able to work something out with him.
ursusguy
AG
I've had to assist with an inspection of the Asian market in Richardson with the game wardens. I can eat just about eat anything, and have a strong stomach, something walking in the door about gagged me.
shiftyandquick
Ursus--might be all that Durian fruit. It's nasty.

Vietnamese supermarket--my go-to place for cheap rabbit.

Eyeguy - I won't have an immediate need for another pig. But since I'll have all the stuff for doing another, I'm sure I'll get to it eventually. Will put your username into my pig database.
shiftyandquick
Thanks, OB, for helping make my first pig roast a success, and a lot of fun.

jh88ag
AG
Looks like it turned out well!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.