Outdoors
Sponsored by

Stick stuck to roof of dogs mouth-- Vet??

55,270 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by MouthBQ98
AgBrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My parents dog has another stick stuck across the roof of her mouth wedged against teeth. It has happened at least twice before, and both time they took it to the vet.

Is there any suggestions on what to do at home? She doesn't appear to be in pain, just constantly licking the roof of her mouth trying to get it dislodged.

It would be nice if I can just take care of it, because we have all been busier the last few days with my grandmother being in the hospital. If not, I should be able to get her in tomorrow.
IslandAg76
AG
Not trying to be a smart a$$ but..............take the stick out of her mouth if her personality will let you do so.

Get some blunt ended shears (metal cutting or pruning) so you don't stick a hole in her hard palate and cut the stick in half.
AgBrad08
I have had my hand hand trying to get to it. Its about 3/4 of the way back, and she doesn't like me holding it open. I figured cutting it would relieve the pressure and it would come out, just didn't know what would be best to use in case she jerks her head.
Sean98
AG
Just a small pair of wire cutters should do fine.
MouthBQ98
AG
Break it loose with some pliers...or like they said use some big clippers and cut it in two. Wear some leather gloves...

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 11/3/2010 8:54p).]
MurphyMID
a cable cutter from a flea market survival knife?
Allen76
AG
I had that happen to one of our dogs and it scared the hell out of us. She was drooling and before we discovered the stick, we thought she may have something serious like rabies.

Luckily she just let us reach in and grab it with a pliers and pull it out.
TRIDENT
AG
Not a vet, but I'd leash her and tie the leash tight to a post so she can't move much. Then put on some work gloves and reach in her mouth with pliers and pull it out.
spud1910
AG
It depends on how tightly it is wedged. Sometimes you can just grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out, but if it is wedged tightly, as they often are, she may need to be sedated to remove it. If it has been there for more than a day or two, there may also be some necrosis that will need treatment. Be very careful trying to cut it because it would be pretty easy to puncture the roof of her mouth.
AgBrad08
Thanks for the replies. My third attempt i was able to get her to keep her mouth open long enough to gently pull the stick out with pliers.

She has some bleeding around the gums now though. Is there anything I should do for that? How do I watch for infection?
IslandAg76
AG
Antibiotics would be best but if a generally healthy dog with a relatively clean mouth (no significant gum disease or excessive tartar/plaque)gingival tissue heals relatively quickly and it should do OK..
AgBrad08
I don't think we have any left over antibiotics.

Would oral cleansing gel that I was given for my lab after she had some teeth pulled be good to use?
DVM97
AG
Agbrad....that oral rinsing gel would be perfect!

DVM
AgBrad08
Thanks DVM
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
There's literally a thread on TexAgs for everything...

This was wedged in the roof of the mouth of our Labradoodle this evening.
the pit man
My old lab used to eat pork rib bones and occasionally would get one stuck between his teeth like that. When it happened I'd open his mouth and pull it out with my fingers, I only once had to use Chanel Lock pliers to get one out. After about 6-7 times we quit giving him rib bones.
MouthBQ98
AG
Pull out with fingers or pliers. Be as careful as you can but they'll survive. It happens from time to time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.