Outdoors
Sponsored by

Private ponds--need a fishing license?

28,453 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by AgBrad08
AgBrad08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am supposed to be going on a "camping" trip this weekend. There is a private stocked tank at the "campgrounds".

Does everyone that will be fishing need a license?

We were told no by the person who made the reservations, but I don't trust that person to know all the TPWD laws.

And if you are wondering why I put camping is quotes twice, its because I just looked at the satellite view of the spot and it appears to be a parking lot with "campsites" marked into it with a small pond. I'm not a hardcore camper, but I was hoping for more ruggedness than what i saw. Its a KOA campground.
aggielostinETX
AG
correct... license required for public lakes only...

from tpwd site:

Who needs a fishing license?

A fishing license is required of anyone who fishes in the public waters of Texas. This covers all the legal means and methods used for taking fish from rod and reel to bow fishing. All persons under 17 years of age, whether Texas residents or non-residents, are exempt from license requirements. Texas residents who were born before September 1, 1930 are exempt from license requirements. Texas residents who are 65 years of age and older and who were born after September 1, 1930 may purchase a Senior Resident Fishing License. Please see the Outdoor Annual for additional information on age requirements and other exemptions.

Do I need a fishing license to fish in private water such as a stock tank?

You do not need a fishing license to fish in private waters. If you are transporting fish off those private waters, either alive or dead, you should have some sort of documentation to prove where these fish where caught.

[This message has been edited by Deats (edited 10/1/2010 10:56a).]
Todd 02
AG
If the pond is private, you don't need a license.

quote:
A fishing license is required of anyone who fishes in the public waters of Texas. This covers all the legal means and methods used for taking fish from rod and reel to bow fishing. All persons under 17 years of age, whether Texas residents or non-residents, are exempt from license requirements. Texas residents who were born before September 1, 1930 are exempt from license requirements. Texas residents who are 65 years of age and older and who were born after September 1, 1930 may purchase a Senior Resident Fishing License. Please see the Outdoor Annual for additional information on age requirements and other exemptions.

-TPWD
HirschfeldAg
no you dont need one if its private
Ice Cube
Does a creek that forms a property line count as private property for fishing purposes as well? Private property is on both sides of the stream, but different owners.
Todd 02
AG
A creek isn't private water.
TexasRebel
AG
no license is required if it is a private body of still water.

if it is fed by moving water, it is not private.
Ice Cube
makes sense. I always have a license, but i was never sure of the rule.
Stinky T
AG
quote:
If you are transporting fish off those private waters, either alive or dead, you should have some sort of documentation to prove where these fish where caught.

How the hell are you supposed to do this? Write yourself a note stating where you caught the fish? I swear some of these game and fish regulations are absolutely retarded.
AgBrad08
Thanks for the replies.

Its catch and release only, so transporting them wont be a worry.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.