Outdoors
Sponsored by

Is it dumb to have a gas grill and a smoker/grill?

1,416 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by MasterAggie
rdag04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really like the convenience of having a gas grill if we are just making something quick like chicken breast/fish/steaks etc. But I really want a large smoker than i could also grill using charcoal.

Is it dumb to have both?

Is there some sort of combination out there that could serve as an alternative to having both?

Is the answer a big green egg???
Curak73
Not at all. I have the smoker, but wears me out that I wont break down and buy a grill for quick stuff.
harge57
AG
http://www.grillsdirect.com/gas-grills/grills-with-carts/chargrillertriogascharcoalgrillandsmoker.cfm

I have one of these and like it. They sell them at Lowe's and Academy.

HDeathstar
I have a weber and a big green egg. I do not use the weber much, but I do use it as a second grill for sides or hamburgers/hotdogs. Egg is not on wheels, so if we cook in the front I use the weber.

Once the weber needs new grills or burner, I will replace it with a WeberQ. Smaller and meets the needs of the weber use above.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Not at all.

I've had a really good gas grill for almost 6 years now. But it's finally breaking down. I just replaced the burners and grates. But I also really, really want a smoker.

It was this desire for both to prompt me to go for the BGE-style. But I'm using my gas grill for one more year while I save up to do a really pimped out dual-BGE set-up.
fido98
Yes the answer is a BGE or Grill dome. If you don't want to have both a) Use a grill pan for quick grill jobs or b) Buy a Weber Q200 tabletop

I have a Weber Genesis grill next to my BGE. Even when I am just cooking something quick or simple I still find myself using the BGE. Food tastes better and it's more fun. About the only time I use my big Weber any more is when I am feeding a bunch of kids hot dogs.
rdag04
AG
harge that is pretty awesome.

do all the components work well or are they all kind of mediocre but together its worth it?
aggielostinETX
AG
I have a gas grill and a gas smoker....
harge57
AG
Everything works well. The gas grill is on par with any other grill I have used. The small fire box on the side is made out of thicker metal, I kind of wish the smoker was the same thickness.

I really like being able to just flip on the gas for a few burgers, or cook with charcoal when I am going to be cooking for a longer period of time. I use the propane stove on the left and a charcoal chimney to light my coals in about 5 minutes which is awesome. I have only smoked with it two times,the first time I had trouble keeping the temperature down, but both times I had good results.

The thing is a beast to put together and it is very heavy, but overall I am pleased with it.

TRIDENT
AG
I have both and use both often. The gas grill is great for quick meals after work. When I have more time... you can't beat charcoal and woodsmoke for flavor.
WestTexAG
AG
http://www.grillsdirect.com/gas-grills/grills-with-carts/chargrillertriogascharcoalgrillandsmoker.cfm is way cheaper at academy, but yeah, its pretty junky componets that add up to an okay total.
harge57
AG
Just FYI. I paid lower than the Grillers Direct posted price at Lowe's.
turk
AG
Nope. I have a gas grill, smoker, and BGE. You can never have to many ways to start a fire on the back porch.
dead zip 01
AG
I have always looked down on anyone who doesn't cook over mesquite wood and always will but when I moved into my house a few months ago the previous owner left a nice gas grill in the barn. I have used it a few times to grill up some quick burgers, dogs and ears of corn during the week when I don't have time to burn down a pile of wood to coals. Of course it isn't as good as the real thing but it's better than cooking on the stove.

I haven't disgraced any steaks by putting them on it yet.

[This message has been edited by dead zip 01 (edited 7/14/2010 3:04p).]
Finn Maccumhail
AG
/\
|
|

You know the best steakhouses in the world generally use gas, right?

And the ones which do use wood use oak, not mesquite.
Campfire Soul
^
^
Most use a broiler, not a grill... put that in your pipe and smoke it.

"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
- Ted Nugent
Sooner Born
^
^
^
Are the broilers gas or electric?
Campfire Soul
I have never seen one that wasn't gas... except for Alton Brown's silly little, one steak at a time, charcoal broiler.

[This message has been edited by IsleAg11 (edited 7/14/2010 4:02p).]
Cowtown Red
I have a gas grill and a smoker. Sometimes you just want to grill a couple of chicken breasts.
opie03
Some days dinner needs to be ready in 30 minutes or less. Some days, you need a reason to sit in the backyard all day, drink beer, and tend the fire.

For this very reason, I have both.

-------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.
Jrod05
AG
I have a smoker and grill. Not dumb at all.
MasterAggie
AG
I have a really nice gas grill that cooks great. I have not used it once since i bought my grill dome a year ago. I keep it for the off chance that ill someday use it again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.