Outdoors
Sponsored by

Elephant skin boot care.

31,868 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by MattGigEm
35chililights
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just purchased a pair of boots with elephant skin on them. As someone who has never owned elephant skin boots, I looked up on the intertron what, if any, special care should be given to this leather.

From what I can gather, since they are naturally drier, they just need thinner coats more often.

For those with similar dry leathers, do you have a conditioner that you would recommend?

Thanks for any recommendations.
MasterAggie
AG
It is fine to use the bick 4 stuff on them. I use a toothbrush to make sure it gets in there good enough. I need to do it now. I dont do it nearly often enough but i dont wear them a lot either.
FSGuide
About once a year you will want to go stomp on a few Africans to keep the bottoms of them in shape.
35chililights
AG
i lol'ed.
35chililights
AG
and thank you masterAggie.

These were bought to replace my redwings as my "everyday" boot.

We will see if they last as long...
Blue Bell Ag
AG
I had a tree hugger type come up to me while I was taking my family thru the Houston zoo. She said she demanded to know what kind of animal skin my boots were made of (they were elephant). I responded "Mam they are made of nunyadam skin!"
She walked off clueless
rather be fishing
AG
hippies
Signel
AG
I use bickmore 1 to clean and bickmore 4 to protect. It won't change the color of the leather unlike mink oil.

http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/Leather%20Care/Bick4.html

They sell it at cavenders I believe.
Chief77
AG
I have had a pair since 1998. had them resoled 4 times wash 'em off with a hose and put some good brand of leather conditioner on them. Damn tough boots! Gary Loveless in Oklahoma City made mine. They are Maroon with Kangaroo tops and a Block aTm.
rock08
AG
Redass
LSRR
S
My dad has a natural colored pair he wears almost daily. They were made by the industrious hand of the TDCJ leather shop and are excellent for stomping hippies.

Sponsor Message:

Lone Star Rod & Rifle Texas' home for fine rifles, shotguns, handguns, and fly fishing gear.
MattGigEm
AG
quote:
TDCJ leather shop
They make good boots for a great price.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.