Outdoors
Sponsored by

Building a Horseshoe Pit.............

6,833 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by RoyalOak00
Gameday Bill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone built their own horseshoe pit?

I have ideas of how I want to build it and the way that I want it to turn out, but I wanted to see if anyone around here had any recommendations or suggestions to add to my ideas.

• What type of materials did you use? I would like to use railroad ties as the border, does anyone know where to get ahold of any?
  • I plan to place landscape cloth underneath the sand.
  • Did you build it raised above the ground, or make the top flush with the ground surface?
  • I would like to have a cover to place on it when not in use, but don't want to have to take out the stake to put it on.
  • Any other ideas are welcomed.

[This message has been edited by madams (edited 5/20/2009 3:33p).]
DaRootas Big D
Here is what I have...I'll try to take pictures tonight if I remember.

-I use a small hand-cranked pool cover when not in use. I bought it for like $75...it was the smallest one they made...for a lap pool.

-I built essentialy two sand boxes and each one of those is surrounded by a larger box filled with loose pebbles...the pebbles help stop all of the crazy "rollers" that my drunk friends always seem to throw. I decided to put in the pebbles after replacing fence boards pretty regularly.

-I did use a landscape lining under the whole thing. I rimmed the boxes with landscape timbers that I sunk in to be flush with the lawn.
Cowtown Red
1. Drive in first stake.

2. Pace off the appropriate number of steps, and drive in second stake.

3. Play horseshoes.

I have blueprints avaialable for a small reproduction fee if you need them.
Terk
AG
Use silica instead of sand. make those pits look like PGA bunkers!!
Post removed:
by user
Stoney
S
This looks good.

Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
Use silica instead of sand. make those pits look like PGA bunkers!!

Not to split hairs, ok I am... "Sand" is a grain size not a composition. Geologists call any grains between 1/16th mm and 2mm sand. Engineers go a bit larger (>50% passing the #4 sieve, but retained on the #200 sieve). To get a brilliant white you are correct you'll want pure quartz sand (Quartz = mineral name for the compound Silica SiO4). Calcite and gypsum sand will also be a brilliant white, but their solubilities in water will lead to frequent replacement. (Think White Sands New Mexico).

Ok, done bustin your chops now.

[This message has been edited by Kenneth_2003 (edited 5/21/2009 12:04p).]
Cowtown Red
Whoa....check out the big brain on Kenny.
DaRootas Big D

[This message has been edited by pauley01 (edited 5/21/2009 1:46p).]
Terk
AG
Thanks for the education... go with what he said.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.