Outdoors
Sponsored by

Killing Bull Nettle

28,827 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by johndunk2001
roynonroy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any ideas on how to kill bull nettle? I tried roundup with dish soap mixed in to help it stick. Didn't work.
MasterAggie
AG
Wlaking through it in shorts doesn't work either.
carpe vinum
AG
diesel appears to be a pretty effective at killing most everything and it's cheap.
BoyNamedSue
quote:
Wlaking through it in shorts doesn't work either.

Oh, damn....seriously, diesel or any other petroleum product should work. Maybe a diesel/Remedy mixture?
carpe vinum
AG
I learned about Remedy on this board a few weeks ago. It does work very well, it is also very expensive. When I ran out of Remedy, I just sprayed diesel on the remaining stumps and plants and it appears to kill everything just as dead.
str8shot1000
AG
Burn them....A propane weed burning torch does wonders on them and non-toxic. It also burns up the burrs to keep them from spreading in the future
dsvogel05
AG
Try 2,4-D since bull nettle is considered a broadleaf and not a grass which is why roundup did not work.
SWCBonfire
AG
2,4-D normally won't touch bullnettle (at least in labeled quantities for broadcast spraying).

Grazon Next is labeled for bullnettle. I think if you put it on thick enough you can kill it with Banvil/weedmaster. There is a generic form of weedmaster (banvil+2,4-D) now called Brash. Grazon next isn't a restricted use pesticide from what I understand.

We're trying the grazon next in some bad stuff... if it works on what we are spraying, it's good stuff. It is expensive, however.
AggFan06
Grazon I believe is a form of 2, 4-d. We have sprayed our pasture for years with 2 4-d and it wipes out night shades and bullnettle no problem. If you have some larger bull nettle you might need to ligtly soak the plant. We have a boom sprayer when we broadcast our pasture but we also have a wand rigged on it to soak or spot spray areas that are hard to reach.
CanyonAg77
AG
Roundup works on broadleaves, though it does seem more effective on grasses. I'll mix a little 2,4,D in with Roundup if I'm dealing with broadleaves. Is Banvel (dicamba) still around? It's pretty good for perennial broadleaves.
IBAnAggie!
Using 2,4-D with a surfactant like dish soap should work pretty well or you could use Grazon P+D. But when you are spraying these types of broadleafs, it is best to spray them early before they reach six inches.
SWCBonfire
AG
aggfan, Grazon is just a brand name... you have grazon 2,4-D, grazon P+D & now Grazon "Next". They are trying to replace the picloram in P+D with the new chemical. It also isn't a restricted use pesticide like P+D or Tordon/picloram.

And what rates are you spraying bull nettles with? 2,4-D won't touch the bull nettles/nightshade/othernonPC-named flowers we have around here if they have any size to them whatsoever. It usually takes 1-1.5 pints of P+D to kill them where they don't come back. Now you can burn the leaves off of nightshade, but they come right back.
IBAnAggie!
Round-up will kill grass, it will kill any plant. 2, 4-D will only kill broadleaf and/or woody plants. Round-up is good, but you only want to use it if it has no contact with desirable plants. But it has no soil activity, so it will not kill a plant unless it comes in contact with the vegetation.
SWCBonfire
AG
I looked up the labels for both 2,4-D and "Brash"/Weedmaster.

2,4-D doesn't list bullnettle, but suggests rates of 2-4 pints for biennial weeds.

Brash lists bullnettle at 2 pints for spraying at the flowering stage only. It also has a note that reads: "Recommended rate will provide top growth suppression only". No other rates for spraying at different stages are listed.

You can look up the label of just about any chemical online. Here are the ones I am referring to:

Brash (generic weedmaster)

Weedar 64 (generic 2,4-D)
AggFan06
SWC

We normally just keep a pretty good eye out on our pasture and try to hit them within one week of noticing them. This normally has them at a very young stage and we have definately made a difference in our pastures. We really don't have much of a problem with bull nettle just a couple of them here and there, but before we started the spraying we were beginning to have a major takeover of night shades. We have been taking very good care of our pastures for about 9 or 10 years now and the night shades are about as close to being obselete as I could have ever imagined. I do believe though we mostly use Grazon, 2 4-D. Just note that make sure there is no wind while spraying or for days to come because it can spread after it dries through dust. I unfortunately have had this happen.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
mow it real short..
BurnetAggie99
Tordon
SWCBonfire
AG
I've heard from a reputable source that Tordon/P+D is getting taken off the market, or at least Dow isn't going to renew it's registration with the EPA. Maybe someone else will make it as I'm sure the patent has expired but for now Dow is pushing the GrazonNext as a replacement for P+D.

Maybe Dow will continue to make Tordon 22k and you can just add it to 2,4-D to make your own P+D. Don't know, maybe someone else who works for Dow can amplify.
B-1 83
AG
Ask the Agronomist(TM) says .......

A "combo" herbicide is going to work best here. Weedmaster (2,4-D + dicamba) is a good choice as is Grtazon P+D or Next. Canyon has it right on the Roundup - a little D or Dicamba will make it work for spot treating (don't forget the dish soap).

quote:
But when you are spraying these types of broadleafs, it is best to spray them early before they reach six inches.

This is not right. Perennial broadleaf weeds should be sprayed at early flowering/fruiting when the carbs are translocating down. The taproot on a bullnettle is like a 4 foot carrot with a 3 inch top (nightshade has a potato on it). Both will survive an early application of 2,4-D.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
mow it down to about 1", trust me.
Old Sarge
AG
If you have a old bag of 13-13-13 laying around, put a palm or handfull if a big plant of it over it and on the base.

It will "burn" it up in a couple of days, and where I've done this there is little or no bull nettle the next year.
Ag83
AG
I'm trying to figure out why Roundup didn't work for the OP. I used ready-to-use Roundup on some bull nettle in my yard earlier this year and it killed it dead as a doornail.
B-1 83
AG
Bullnettle in your yard, or thistle? Roundup will work on broadleaves sometimes, but is very inconsistent. Good coverage helps tremendously (i.e. water and surfactant). Monsanto even recognized this years ago by selling a product called "Landmaster" which was Glyphosate + 2,4-D. Later came "Landmaster BW" for bindweed control which was glyphosate + dicamba.
Ag83
AG
You're right. Checking pics on the web, I guess it was thistle. I had always heard it called bull nettle.
johndunk2001
I knew a guy who would pee on himself and blame it on the bull nettle. Apparently on the way to school everyday, he walked through a field of bull nettle!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.