Outdoors
Sponsored by

small lightweight handgun for backpacking?

5,304 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by TRIDENT
YellowPot_97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's a small lightweight pistol for backpacking? Mainly for personal protection in the woods from wierdos and to scare away bears if needed.
MouthBQ98
AG
For bears, bear spray is probably better, but if you need gun there are a lot of choices.
cohibasymas
AG
Where are you going? If you're truly in bear country, there aren't an awful lot of "small" handguns that would do you any good vs. a bear.
spaceag07
AG
I'd probably go with a Taurus Judge with .45 long colt if I was worried about bears... but you're still only going to piss them off.
Javelina
AG
Desert Eagle .50
35chililights
AG
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=14760&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

it weighs a mere 15oz empty.

comes in .38, also in .357. both with and without the external hammers (different models of course).
MouthBQ98
AG
For what it is worth, black bears have been killed with 9mm handguns before (game warden/park ranger killing bear post-attack). You don't need a bazooka. You need good aim at the vitals. If you can kill it with an arrow, a moderate handgun caliber will work also.

Brown bear? All bets are off. That's why the bear spray. If it is blinded, in pain, and disoriented, you have a good chance to get away...and you don't have to harm it permanently.
potatoshack
http://www.counterassault.com/

it'll keep crazies and bears away.
AggieChemist
AG
XD9SC or XD40SC
Vero143
Go with the bear spray. It also works against car jackers too in Houston.
TylerAg98
AG
Glock 26 or 27
Stoney
S
NM

[This message has been edited by Stoney (edited 4/2/2008 6:48p).]
AggieCowboy
AG
my bear spray
S&W 500
ursusguy
AG
Several years ago I watched a conservation officer put down a small black bear sow with his service revolver (.357). All shots were to the vitals, and he had to empty the gun. Granted, this bear had been run for a while, and was pretty hyped up. Pretty sad, she still tried getting up while he reloaded. I told the story before on here, and it made Chemist sad, so I will refrain. Moral to the story, hyped up, they can soak up a lot of lead. I endorse the spray.

"Our nation’s continued prosperity hinges on our ability to solve environmental problems and sustain the natural resources on which we all depend.” John McCain November 22, 1996
"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use our natural resources, but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."
- Theodore Roosevelt, speech, Washington, D.C., 1900

Neches21
I am no means an expert here, but a 9mm will suit you fine in the two legged dept. Just be sure of legality issues where hiking as in a national park.

Do not let the gun or the spray give you a false sense of security. They are likely to be ineffective on the bear.

Bear spray is not always effective as it has to be used in rather close proximity and is affected by wind. I've read before that unless pepper spray actually gets in the bears eyes or nasal passages, it doesnt bother them one bit. That leaves you a small area to aim for on a charging grizz that is running as fast as a horse.

None of that is to mean that you should not carry a gun or bear spray. You should and you should carry where it is easily accessible. What will matter the most though is practicing common sense and knowing the rules about hiking in bear country. Make lots of noise, eliminate the smell of food, and avoid confrontation.

[This message has been edited by Neches21 (edited 4/2/2008 7:59p).]
ursusguy
AG
Exactly, excellent point.

Actually, as you mention, unless it hits a mucus membrane, the spray doesn't do any good. If you spray it on the ground, they will actually roll around in it (ie--don't camp immediately in an areas that has had the spray discharged).

"Our nation’s continued prosperity hinges on our ability to solve environmental problems and sustain the natural resources on which we all depend.” John McCain November 22, 1996
"I recognize the right and duty of this generation to develop and use our natural resources, but I do not recognize the right to waste them, or to rob by wasteful use, the generations that come after us."

AggieCowboy
AG
Bears deserve seasoning on their food too so be sure to spray into the wind
ursusguy
AG
Not to hijack the thread, but Cowboy, did/do you spend much time in the Sun River area?
terlingua
Glock 29 - I've backpacked and hiked with one many times.
AggieCowboy
AG
Nope almost all of my time has been in the Bob on the west side from Sealy Lake North to Glacier. Hunting area around Shaw Creek Ranger Station. I can give you better specifics if you want. Its a beautiful area. If I ever disappear that where I will be...lol
AggieCowboy
AG
Ursus a few years ago, a griz study was done in my area. They collected hair from barb wire wrapped trees. Have you seen anything on this or better did you particpate in it? Have been wondering what the study turned up.
ursusguy
AG
That's some pretty country you work through. I spent several days in that area happily wandering around.

I'm familiar with the study. Actually it was because of that study that they discovered that the grizzly population was much larger in the Northern Continental Divide population that originally estimated. They were able to actually identify significantly more specific genotypes (individual bears) than the previous estimates. It proved what some biologist were saying for years that the old simple scent station sampling wasn't overly useful other than indicate presence or absense. The study was also one of the reasons there was data to support a change a status. So yeah, it was a pretty important study Dang pork barrel project to make fun of, that is going to only to allow more flexible management to the entire area.
Sorry about the hijack.

[This message has been edited by ursusguy (edited 4/2/2008 9:59p).]
AC Hopper
S
Sorry if you've seen this before, and for being slightly off topic since these guys are in a raft, .... but just to demonstrate how fast some bad **** can go down .........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw
TRIDENT
AG
I think the Glock 29 would be a good choice for your application. 10mm power in a compact, durable, reliable package.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.