Outdoors
Sponsored by

TaylorMade R540 or R580

5,809 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by Lukeno
Up&ComingAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at upgrading my driver, from the one that came with my set to one of these. I know these are older, but the price is right to test it out and not worry about if I don't like it. Does anyone have experience with either or know the difference. Also in general, what does the XD model of these mean or stand for? Thanks.
aggiegolfer03
AG
wow...welcome 4 years ago...

get the cheapest OEM 460 CC driver with the right loft and shaft for you...

the 540 and 580 are dinosaurs.

get the 580 if that's your only choices though, the 540 sucked when it came out.
aggiegolfer03
AG
the XD model is 440CC'S and is much better than the 580.

I still play with a tour version of the 580 XD.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
some people prefer the smaller head....

Used to play the 580, liked it fine. Swing a Callaway x460 now and love it.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
The 540XD with a Grafalloy Prolite was the best driver I've ever had in the bag. I hate the fact that I sold it.
DOCAG79
AG
I agree with the "old tech" comments, but if you have to choose one of those choices, go with the 580XD. I think you can get it for less than $100.
Up&ComingAg03
AG
I'm trying to regulate myself and make my game get better before I go crazy on spending several hundred on a new driver. I do know that at least some of the new technology, even within the past several years will help me. I hit all of my drives straight as an arrow, but probably only 250 if I'm lucky. I swung one of my uncle's old R580's and got it out there close to 300 and right down the middle, so that's why those clubs in particular came to mind. Would it be better to spend a little more and get a R5 or R7? As one poster said, I actually prefer a little smaller head than the R7 (my uncle has that one also) so I thought these 540 and 580 options would be good.

What about the Adams RPM Redline, anyone know about this line and model?
ILuvAgLand
I have a 580 and I still like it.

check out www.callawaygolfpreowned.com
they have other stuff than just callaway.

Lukeno
AG
in my opinion the 540 w/ a TP shaft is still the best driver out there
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.