New to Linux

2,058 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cochrum
cochrum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello I have a MSI gaming laptop leopard 65 with Windows 11.

I have placed Ubuntu on the SSD storage and I am able to reboot into it.

My question is, when I reboot is Windows still running in the background because it seems by Ubuntu is running slower than I would like. The reason why I ask is because the only way to boot into Linux is by going to Windows and simultaneously clicking restart while holding down the shift button.

Is there another way to boot in without having to go into Window.

Thanks
TAMU-93
AG
No, Windows is not running the in the background.

Go to System Configuration (msconfig) -> Boot -> set Timeout to 5.

Now, you'll have 5 seconds to choose either Windows or Linux everytime you reboot the laptop.
cochrum
AG
Thank you for your reply!

My timeout is already at 30 seconds.....When the comp its starting do I need to press a certain key?
cochrum
AG
Nevermind, I changed my boot command to start up in Ubuntu everytime. Thanks!

Anybody else use Linux? I want to eventually move as far away from Windows as I can.
aggie_wes
AG
cochrum said:

Anybody else use Linux? I want to eventually move as far away from Windows as I can.

I used it exclusively for about 15 years. At this point I'm on a computer at work (have to use Windows for CAD software we run) for most of the day so I don't even mess around with Linux anymore. I did and do still like it and it's come a long way since the early 2000s when I got started with it. It's more than capable for most users now.
Jabin
Quote:

Can you explain to poorly educated lay people like me what that is? Simply curious and trying to learn more.
IrishAg
cochrum said:

I dual boot on a personal laptop only because I need some windows apps. Work is all macOS for me. But all of my servers in my homelab are either Debian or Ubuntu Server.

I used to run linux/Ubuntu as my main OS 15 or so years ago before Gnome went and decided everyone needed a new GUI with version 3. Loved the original Gnome with Compiz as my window manager. But once the Gnome forced revolution of version 3 started I took the new OSX option at work and never really got back into linux as a daily driver OS.

These days if I need a linux OS with a GUI for a laptop or desktop I either use Linux Mint with the Mate desktop environment or PopOS for the ease of drivers on something like an Nvidia card.
AmC_OldSarge
AG
I use Linux Mint as my daily driver on both my laptop (for travel) and desktop. I use VirtualBox or KVM to host my guest windows/mac OS's (and other Linux Distros). I also use Crossover for those windows apps that will function on my Mint machine without requiring I boot a guest OS. I only dual boot one machine, my gaming machine (hopefully one day most titles with run on both windows and linux with the help of Steam/SteamOS). Your machine should definitely run faster/smoother with Linux. Make sure you enable any third party drivers, especially if you have a newer GPU.
chigger
AG
Similar. I am using Linux Mint currently at work (linux system admin) but I prefer xubuntu. Just use VirtualBox for Windows stuff I need. I've used this setup for at least 15 years now.
flakrat
AG
I run hundreds of headless Linux servers, but don't do much on the desktop side short of the occasional VNC.

At home we have a bunch of Linux servers, Macbooks and 1 Windows PC for Steam games.
txaggie79
AG
cochrum said:

Sorry to be so late to the party! I switched to MX Linux 4 or 5 years ago and have never looked back. You might want to at least check it out. I'm running xfce which is pretty vanilla, but it does everything I need. I have no beef with Microsoft, but after running Linux for several years I doubt I will ever go back to Windows.
Ag with kids
AG
If you don't use vi on linux, your balls haven't dropped yet.
cochrum
AG
Jabin said:

Quote:

Can you explain to poorly educated lay people like me what that is? Simply curious and trying to learn more.

Sorry I'm late on my reply. I just do not like all the "excess bloat" on Windows. There are a lot of pointless apps that are not needed and some that are unable to be removed. I do not like the idea that Windows is always monitoring what I'm doing with all the privacy-encroaching technologies. I know Linux is not perfect either but I like the freedom to add what I want on it. It's also fun learning a new distribution and so far enjoying the challenge.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.