Home Server Question

2,817 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Txducker
danieljustin06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm building a home server from my previous desktop setup

Ryzen 5 3600X
Asus Tuf x570 wifi
AMD 5700XT
Samsung 580 Pro SSD 512 gb
2 Seagate 10 TB Enterprise
Pioneer BD-212 SATA

I'm wanting to do a NAS with media server. I would like to do it as one system and run makemkd, jellyfin, and eventually home assistant and pihole. I will do handbrake on my new desktop for 4k conversions.

I currently have TrueNAS scale installed, but I cannot get the blu-ray drive to be recognized in the makemkd app. The limited google results that come up point to TrueNAS not allowing mobo SATA devices to be passed through. I tried a cheap $20ish pcie sata card but that didn't work. I'm sure there's a way but I'm not finding it on google and I haven't been able to find it.

I'm considering ordering another 512 gb ssd and switching to proxmox and do truenas scale as a vm and then do an ubuntu server or debian vm with docker for the rest of the services I want.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I'm assuming MakeMKD is supposed to be MakeMKV.

Why not just run it on your new desktop and then upload the files to the server? I would think it simpler, and the new machine will probably handle it better.
danieljustin06
AG
Fair point. I don't have any drive bays and I don't really have a spot for an external enclosure. I also would like the ripping to be something that doesn't take from my main desktop. i.e. I can be playing a game while the server is ripping.
TMoney2007
AG
Is there a reason that you're using docker inside of Truenas Scale? In general, apps are the better way to go in Scale rather than docker containers.

TrueCharts has a MakeMKV chart that should be easier to set up.

Also, I would do 4k conversions on your server with Tdarr. I would also sell the 5700xt and replace it with an intel arc a380 for transcoding. Its super overkill for a media server.
danieljustin06
AG
I am running it as an app, misworded earlier. The app isn't seeing my bd drive since it's connected to the mobo sata ports. I can't seem to get truenas to list it either.
gumby579
AG
Have you tried tdarr? I run it in a docker on my unraid NAS and let it convert/encode everything itself.
TMoney2007
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I am running it as an app, misworded earlier. The app isn't seeing my bd drive since it's connected to the mobo sata ports. I can't seem to get truenas to list it either.
I'm not in front of my server so I can't mess around with attempting to install the makemkv app. There should be an option in there to specify a device for the app where you are required to put in a path. The default path for optical drive devices in linux is "/dev/sr0" If there is only one optical drive in the system, that should be where it is. Apparently, you have to set the PUID to 0 under container security settings.

This is for the truecharts version of the app.
I'm just going by the install guide: install guide
IrishAg
TMoney2007 said:

Is there a reason that you're using docker inside of Truenas Scale? In general, apps are the better way to go in Scale rather than docker containers.

Also, I would do 4k conversions on your server with Tdarr. I would also sell the 5700xt and replace it with an intel arc a380 for transcoding. Its super overkill for a media server.
This is a really good point on the video card, there isn't a ton of good support for AMD in hardware transcoding for Jellyfin (or competitors) and you're going to need something to be able to handle x265 4k transcoding and potentially HDR tone mapping which the intel cards and onboard video are the best at.
TMoney2007
AG
IrishAg said:

TMoney2007 said:

This is a really good point on the video card, there isn't a ton of good support for AMD in hardware transcoding for Jellyfin (or competitors) and you're going to need something to be able to handle x265 4k transcoding and potentially HDR tone mapping which the intel cards and onboard video are the best at.
They're cheap and they use very little power. You can get an A310 for ~$120. They even do AV1 encoding.

In order to get latest generation HEVC and AV1 transcoding from an Nvidia card, you'd be looking at $300 and a massive 2 slot cooler.

This single slot, low profile version just came out.
https://secure.newegg.com/shop/confirmation?sessionId=YT4G8OBDXDBFQ0G88123
IrishAg
TMoney2007 said:

IrishAg said:

TMoney2007 said:

They're cheap and they use very little power. You can get an A310 for ~$120. They even do AV1 encoding.

In order to get latest generation HEVC and AV1 transcoding from an Nvidia card, you'd be looking at $300 and a massive 2 slot cooler.

This single slot, low profile version just came out.
https://secure.newegg.com/shop/confirmation?sessionId=YT4G8OBDXDBFQ0G88123
Nice, yeah I've been surprised at how good a job intel does with transcoding. Just built a new server with an Intel alder lake cpu, full 4k transcoding with HDR tone mapping in plex and my cpu doesn't even hit 1% usage with the onboard QuickSync GPU. I've heard the standalone cards hold up very well too.
danieljustin06
AG
That worked. I was thinking it had to be an USB device.

For handbrake I can also use my laptop with a 3070 in it but I gather the 5700xt for just streaming via jellyfin is the bigger issue? I'll take a look at adding a card in the future. Already need to hold off on more expenses.
TMoney2007
AG
Great! I'm glad you got it working.

I don't know about reencoding on the 5700xt or transcoding with jellyfin. It is probably fine. Honestly, if you don't have several people streaming at the same time, it would probably do fine transcoding a stream or two on the cpu. Its more of a nice to have.

If you do a lot of ripping and reencoding, I would rather have it automatically do the reencode using Tdarr. You could also encode using AV1, which makes for smaller files with the same or better quality compared to h.265/HEVC. You could probably sell your 5700xt for more than enough to get one of the intel GPUs and you would definitely see a performance increase.

Also, I think most people aren't aware that Intel is doing standalone GPUs now and I think more competition in the market would be a good thing. If you're just looking for encode/decode performance per dollar, there's nothing else out there that is close. 5 or 6 year old nvidia cards aren't even this cheap used and their encoders are 3 generations behind.
danieljustin06
AG
I'll take a look at Tdarr. I'm just now getting into backup and reencoding my disks.

I've been following the intel graphics with some interest when they launched. They're making leaps and bounds with their hardware with just their driver updates. Quite impressive. It'll be interesting to see what they can do once they have they hardware to compete with 4090's etc.
TMoney2007
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I'll take a look at Tdarr. I'm just now getting into backup and reencoding my disks.

I've been following the intel graphics with some interest when they launched. They're making leaps and bounds with their hardware with just their driver updates. Quite impressive. It'll be interesting to see what they can do once they have they hardware to compete with 4090's etc.
I think that the progress that they've made has been impressive. I haven't ever been anywhere close to in the market for high end graphics cards, even when the top of the line was only $600 or so.
danieljustin06
AG
So I read that TrueNAS will drop kubs with Electric Eel thus TrueCharts will stop updating. Thoughts on what to switch to. Switch to proxmox and vm everything? I have since upgraded to 64 gb of ram and added a 2.5 gb card to the system.
TMoney2007
AG
danieljustin06 said:

So I read that TrueNAS will drop kubs with Electric Eel thus TrueCharts will stop updating. Thoughts on what to switch to. Switch to proxmox and vm everything? I have since upgraded to 64 gb of ram and added a 2.5 gb card to the system.
It looks like they're implementing docker compose natively, so that's what I'll be moving to. I used it before and its extremely well supported. There are 1000 times as many docker compose tutorials out there as there are helms charts tutorials. I've been putting off upgrading to dragonfish because I apparently have to do special stuff to keep truecharts working,...

I don't want to wait until Q4 because dragonfish has ARC gpu support in it. I don't think hardware encoding has been working for a while on my setup. I guess I'll have to do the transition twice. I've thought about virtualizing everything in proxmox, but I don't think I would get much benefit from it in practice. I also don't have a spare ssd in the system to install proxmox onto.
danieljustin06
AG
I haven't figured out yet how to get truecharts working again. Not sure what I want to do as I already have NAS and jellyfin set up. Just a giant pain in the butt to change everything.
Txducker
AG
I have been running a linux home media server since 2012 or 2014. Debian and now Ubuntu the last couple of years. My server is performs the following services: email server, web server, ssh, mysql server, file server, and media server. I recommend a dedicated machine as your server that is not your everyday desktop because you want maximum reliability and uptime. With my desktop I can dual boot linux and windows (I need windows for some special trading software I run). I use my media server differently than your intentions.
I run mythtv software that records over the air broadcast tv and stores in a mysql database. I have an old computer in my media cabinet that connects to my tv and provides the interface for recording and watching recorded tv shows (similar to a tivo but I have unlimited storage due to me being able to upgrade the storage space on my server.
File server: smb server for network based windows backups, nfs file server for linux, nextcloud (like dropbox but way more services) for remote access to my files, photos, or videos.
I would recommend you hook up your blue ray drive to your desktop and burn your videos and then transfer to your nas server. Keep your server as simple as possible for maximum reliability and uptime.
File servers require very little cpu speed or cores. Transcoding would increase the requirement, but I never found the need to transcode and have always had plenty of bandwidth on wi-fi and wired networks. You won't know until you run some tests.
TMoney2007
AG
danieljustin06 said:

I haven't figured out yet how to get truecharts working again. Not sure what I want to do as I already have NAS and jellyfin set up. Just a giant pain in the butt to change everything.
Most of the *arr based tools have export/import capabilities that I used to set them up initially when I migrated to Truenas. I'll probably use them again to get out of TrueCharts. Plex is kind of a pain, but I never had it in the specialized app storage because I was migrating it.

I don't think anything will be that terrible to recreate in community apps. I'm not particularly happy about it though. I enjoyed having a better interface as opposed to basically having to write docker compose scripts with copy and paste/typing. I'll survive, I just need to dedicate an evening to it at some point and I'm lazy. I also have other projects coming up that are more entertaining.
danieljustin06
AG
So I'm thinking of setting up a new system for just NAS duties and transferring my TrueNAS to that and then set up proxmox on my other hardware to run all my dockers etc. I'm thinking it'll be simpler to do it that way than trying to migrate TrueNAS to Proxmox on my current box.
boy09
AG
Txducker said:

I have been running a linux home media server since 2012 or 2014. Debian and now Ubuntu the last couple of years.
Why the switch from Debian to Ubuntu? I've been doing some light research into homelab servers, and a lot of the Reddit folks seem to lean Debian. Does it really even matter much at the end of the day, or just personal preference?
Txducker
AG
MythTV server package. The developers of MythTV target Ubuntu and not Debian. Someone does port this package to Debian (not sure if official, can't remember) and I was appreciative of his work but sometimes mythtv updates failed for me. I needed the stability that comes with the Ubuntu version. For all the other server functions I listed above, Debian was rock solid and I could run for weeks and would only reboot because of package upgrades. Ubuntu makes slight changes from Debian that would break Mythtv when installed directly to debian. Very few people use MythTV, so I needed to go to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has been solid and stable for me also. My house runs Windows, Apple, and Linux but I prefer Linux and am more efficient in my scripting and automation with Linux.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.