YouTube TV 4K

2,062 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Thisguy1
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw they were doing a free 30 day trial so I signed up. Pretty much only get games on Fox, so I'm currently watching the Astros/Rangers game. When I went from the normal channel to the 4k channel, it got worse. I researched it and it looks like you can choose the resolution, so I turned it off auto and went to 4k. It just freezes. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

It looks like on the normal channel, it's only showing it in 720p60, which is the highest it will let me choose. It's a good picture so I'm not worried, just wanted to see what 4k was all about.

I have a Sony Bravia 4k GB ATV3.
tk for tu juan
4K streaming uses around 5 times the bandwidth of 720p/1080p. It is either a limited bandwidth going to the TV/streaming device, or something in the settings for the TV/streaming device is forcing the 4K stream to a lower resolution

You can open "Stats for Nerds" in the More menu (three vertical dots) below the timeline/time scrub bar to see the connection speed, current resolution of stream, target resolution (max selected in YoutubeTV), and the viewport resolution (what your TV is set at)

tfunk02
AG
You need to consistently be getting over 25 Mbps at the device for 4K YTTV. If your internet or wi-fi signal is not causing the issue, you may need to get a 4K streaming stick. The older TV may not be able to handle it? Does it work with other apps in 4K?
Philip J Fry
AG
I think it was a YouTube tv issue. I had the same thing happen to me while trying to watch the game. No issues with bandwidth or other apps.
Thisguy1
What's this all mean?
Thisguy1
I'm not sure if works with other apps. I don't really know what to compare it to. We did hook up an Ethernet cable at the suggestion of the Suddenlink guy but I didn't like that it didn't allow me to cast anymore and I didn't know that it made a difference. We were trying to get rid of the momentary buffering on YouTube tv and some of the kiddo's shows on Disney+ weren't playing so we tried that.
tk for tu juan
Viewport: 1920x1080 - The resolution your TV/monitor is currently displaying (1080p)
Current: 2560x1440@60 - The resolution current resolution of the stream (1440p @ 60Hz refresh rate)
Optimal: 2560x1440 - The maximum resolution possible due to connection speed and settings.
Connection Speed: 18,198 Kbps - Current bandwidth of your connection to the streaming device/computer

As mentioned above, 4K streams need around 25,000 Kbps (25 Mbps) to get the full resolution of 3840x2160
Thisguy1
What decides the speed I'm getting? Is it my internet speed or what? I hooked up the Ethernet cable to see what my numbers were and I'm getting around 30000kbps with it hooked up but it has drops so it's not sustaining the picture.

I ask because I just signed up for 1G of internet and I'm getting 787 Mbps currently after running a test.
BCG Disciple
AG
Distance and obstructions from your router. Every room in your house is likely getting a different WiFi connection speed. Number of walls, types of material (insulation), etc all impact it. Not sure what your set up is, but mesh network and testing has helped me get mine dialed in.
Thisguy1
Right, but thats why I tested hooking up the Ethernet because that should eliminate those issues.
BCG Disciple
AG
Got you. Is Ethernet coming from the same router giving you WiFi? How old is the cat 5 line? Thinking it may be a 100mbps line and you're just getting loss for some reason. How are you WiFi speeds at that tv location?
Thisguy1
Brand new. Couldn't tell you the type of line though. I posted my data earlier in the thread on wifi.
LostInLA07
AG
Surprisingly, I found an old 10Mbps switch buried in our AV closet when we first moved in that was crippling all of our access points and even wired connections. I'd make sure you don't have some old hardware somewhere, unless you know your internet connection sucks. What is the headline speed for your current connection?
hph6203
AG
The Ethernet port on that TV is 100 mbps capped.
aTm2004
AG
Thisguy1 said:

I saw they were doing a free 30 day trial so I signed up. Pretty much only get games on Fox...
What you're saying is the only actual 4k content you see is Fox? If that's the case, don't pay for 4k. Just download the Fox Sports app and use your YTTV login on it. They show the big sports games in 4k, and there is a difference in that vs what is on YTTV.
Thisguy1
They have shows under the 4k menu, but so far the only stuff I've seen that I watch are sports on Fox. I'll try the app.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.