Wireless Access Points vs Mesh Wifi

3 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
youandwhosearmy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have recommendations for a wireless access point for home use? Thinking of going this route over Mesh Wifi router if makes more sense economically.

Was new build construction with each room having ethernet run back to office. Currently I have an ASUS router in office. Wifi speeds in office and adjacent living room are fairly fast. Significant dropoff downstairs and in other end of house. Downstairs TV is connected is wired connection due to slow speeds.

Would like to improve wifi signal downstairs and in far end of home. Since I have ethernet ports in each room, am I better off using access points over a whole Mesh Wifi system?
FatZilla
AG
youandwhosearmy said:

Since I have ethernet ports in each room, am I better off using access points over a whole Mesh Wifi system?
Yes

Lots out there to pick from. Do you have a switch going to these ports? is it POE capable? How fast is your router / internet?

Something as simple as this in AP mode should work.
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC1200-WiFi-Router-Access/dp/B07RKYQGG4/
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
youandwhosearmy
There is a switch going to those ports, but I dont believe its POE capable (tp-link SF1005D). Our service is currently 100/10 Mbps.

If I use something as pictured in AP mode, would it be the same network (ID, password) or a separate network? Sorry for the idiot questions, this is a bit beyond my knowledge level. We have a Sonos system through the house which I believe needs to be on the same network.

FatZilla
AG
youandwhosearmy said:

There is a switch going to those ports, but I dont believe its POE capable (tp-link SF1005D). Our service is currently 100/10 Mbps.

If I use something as pictured in AP mode, would it be the same network (ID, password) or a separate network? Sorry for the idiot questions, this is a bit beyond my knowledge level. We have a Sonos system through the house which I believe needs to be on the same network.

AP mode is direct extension of same network.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/
If you have any old routers laying around they can be AP's as well without buying new ones.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.