IPhone - GSM vs. CDMA and Sprint

436 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Bonfire97
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All, I am looking for a used unlocked phone to use on Sprint. However, on Swappa all the unlocked Iphone 8s they list say "works on any GSM network". I googled Sprint and it says it is CDMA, not GSM. It appears the Iphone 8 might come in a version that only supports GSM (for Tmobile and AT&T). Is that what they are likely selling?
Bonfire97
AG
OK. So, I got to the bottom of this. A GSM only phone will not work on Sprint since they use a CDMA network. Must be a Sprint CDMA phone or an unlocked GSM/CDMA phone.
UmustBKidding
Not so much.
First of all sprint does not exist anymore, nor does GSM in the US for all practical purposes.
Sprint was acquired by Tmobile and some of their infrastructure in being migrated into their network and other is being deactivated. Sprint's 5G deactivation has already been completed. GSM vs CDMA is just a historical artifact at this point in the USA. 3G (UMTS), 4G (LTE) and 5G all are CDMA air interface technologies. Historically ATT & TMobile were GSM and Verizon and Sprint were CDMA, but that is totally history now. But not all phones are compatible with others networks because of how LTE can be deployed (all cdma). There are multiple channel widths(1.4, 3.5, 5,10,20 Mhz), duplex methods (TDD, FDD, SDL), and bands (lots).
Since sprint is quickly vaporizing you want a Tmobile compatible phone unless you are on part of the sprint network that was sold to dish (Virgin and a few other parts). You also probably want a phone that supports the band segments that most other carries do not like band 14 to have optimum coverage in remote areas or within buildings.
I would look at the Tmobile website in the Bring your own device section or something like wistlehout for a guide as to if a given phone will work on the combined TMobile network.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the info.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.