Denon AV Recieiver no sound

3,250 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 76Ag
76Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've only had the receiver since February 2019. One night things are fine but the next evening I turn on the system and no sound from the speakers. I get no sound from cable TV, Xbox One or Xbox 360. Denon support had me run a speaker test and heard white noise. Speakers are connected as Denon support instructed. I have 5 speakers. What in the hell could have happened from one day to the next to lose my sound? I have not fiddled with anything until looking at things from support. I figured it was some setting but if it is I haven't tried the right thing yet. Any suggestions?
anonymousAg05
AG
You will have to set everything back up again, but you could just unplug it and wait a minute or so. Plug it back in and everything should be reset to default settings.
76Ag
AG
I will give that a try
PLUM LOCO
AG
I have sync problems all the time which results in no audio. I have to turn everything off and back on (sometimes several times) to get everything to sync up.

The hdmi protocol is absolute BS and leads to many unnecessary problems.
agdoc2001
AG
Turn off the power using Power Button .
Press Power Button while simultaneously pressing TUNER PRESET CH + and TUNER PRESET CH -.
Remove your fingers from the two buttons when "Initialized" appears on the display.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ExPLK
AG
Sounds like it is happening on multiple sources which eliminates a specific device or HDMI port as the issue. The successful white noise sound check validated that sound can make it to the speakers and rules out speaker wire issues (although it would have been odd that all 5 decided to stop working at the same time anyhow).

I agree with the others. Sounds like it may be an issue with the receiver itself. Hopefully it just got in a wonky state. Hard reboot or reset from settings may resolve it.

If it were me, I'd try unplugging it and letting it sit for a bit, plugging it back in and trying. If that doesn't work, try to reboot it (follow instructions online for your specific model). If that fails, re-initialize it to factory default. You will have to set everything else back up so jot down your important settings (which hdmi goes to which source, audio settings, etc.)

Curious on how this plays out. Keep us updated. Good luck.
76Ag
AG
Unplugged it al afternoon. No luck with that.
spanky
AG
So how is everything connected to the receiver? Each their own hdmi and hdmi to TV? Optical/coax to receiver? Any chance the digital audio assignments got messed up?
76Ag
AG
Cable box to Xbox one. All other devices conn4ected directly yo the receiver. Then the receiver is connected to TV. No sound from cable box/Xbox one or Xbox 360.
02skiag
AG
Had a similar issue with a Denon, but it was after a few years. Nothing worked until I gave it a solid tap/hit then the sound came on. I finally replaced after a while. Surely your issue is different since it's newer.
76Ag
AG
Tried changing some settings but still no satisfaction. I guess I will call Denon Indian support again but it was not successful the last time....
76Ag
AG
After talking to Denon support I am now wondering if this is an HDMI cable issue. When I installed the receiver and re-organized the wires I tested every wire before connecting each one. I found one bad HDMI cable and one bad ethernet patch wire. How often does a wire just go bad for no reason? I'm going to go home and test the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. If there is a problem that should be the one. The Play Station 4 and the Xbox One are silent when I tried them yesterday. I only get sound through the television speakers.
spanky
AG
From my limited use with active hdmi cables required for longer 4K runs, yeah, cables can go bad. They have active electronics/chipsets in the ends that can go bad. I can actually feel heat from the display labeled end connector.

For passive cables, I've had them go out mostly from bad connections. The cables we use for our tailgate setup usually last about a couple of years from the repeated plugging/unplugging and Texas heat.
76Ag
AG
No sound from either Xbox or Play Station 4. I used some HDMI cables that advertised they were for 4K UHD I purchased from Sam's Club. There is a new cable that came with the Xbox One X so I'll try that one if the existing one tests bad. Even if it tests okay I'm going to try changing it and see if that solves the problem.
ExPLK
AG
Changing HDMI cables should be a relatively easy test. What seems odd is that it impacts all inputs at the same time. I think it is unlikely they all went bad together.

Worth a shot though.
anonymousAg05
AG
What model is it? Also, do you have something like HDMI ARC enabled?

76Ag
AG
I saw an ARC input on my television. I would think there is one on the receiver, too but I am not sure. I saw a video that touched on ARC but it did not give a full explanation. Should I try to use it? The receiver is a Denon AVR-X1500H.
QBCade
AG
76Ag said:

I saw an ARC input on my television. I would think there is one on the receiver, too but I am not sure. I saw a video that touched on ARC but it did not give a full explanation. Should I try to use it? The receiver is a Denon AVR-X1500H.

Fiddle with the 4K settings. I have several Denon receivers and this unfortunately makes a difference. Specifically, I would turn OFF enhanced 4K.

As everything goes directly into the Denon, you shouldn't need ARC. But, you can play with turning on HDMI control to see if there is a difference.
76Ag
AG
I will give that a try. What befuddles me is that the damned thing just quit over night with no changes from me. I am two inches away from ordering another AV receiver and not a Denon.
Whoop Delecto
AG
76Ag
AG
Yes, that is my plan. It's a pain in the neck to unhook everything and ship it off. I just want to be sure it's not operator error but the damned thing did just quit on me out of the blue from one day to the next.
76Ag
AG
Called up Denon support again today. I talked to a man there for about twenty minutes. He walked me through several things to check but nothing worked. Finally, he suggested a system reset which is done by turning the power off and back on while holding the tuner + and - buttons while hitting the power switch. I hit the power switch to turn it off but it came right back on by itself. I then held the button down to try and turn it off. Sometime during that the sound started working again. I never reset the receiver. I had switched the XBox 360 from one HDMI input to another right before that. He thought maybe that woke something up. I had also changed the optical wires around. The bottom line is that I don't know what really did the trick. That may be a problem if this ever happens again. I really did not want to unhook all the wires and send the unit in for service. I was tempted to purchase another receiver but I really didn't want to do that, either. These AV receivers seem unreliable. Back in December my Onkyo AV receiver had three of the HDMI ports just quit working. Are these problems normal or am I just unlucky?
Roger That
AG
You're not unlucky - they've been the most unreliable electronic device I've owned.
OldArmy71
AG
Unfortunately, receivers are unreliable in my experience. I have gone through three Onkyo receivers that all had HDMI failures. I got 3-4 years out of each one, so this last time I just bought a $200 one that sounds just fine to me.

I'm glad you got yours working!
spanky
AG
Onkyo/pioneer had a known hdmi issue that is supposedly worked out now. We will see. I'm running a 2018 model with no issues so far.
76Ag
AG
I had won =some Walmart gift cards at work so I purchased the Denon AV receiver so I could run my turntable through it. About a month later the Onkyo had the HDMI ports go out so I just replaced it with the Denon. I still have the Onkyo. Should I see about getting it repaired? I've heard the circuits need to be re-soldered but that may not be true.
OldArmy71
AG
When the HDMI on my third Onkyo went out, I took it to a shop for repair (it was out of warranty). They said it would be too expensive.

If you know how to solder, there are DIY videos on Youtube, but I personally do not feel up to that.
76Ag
AG
I can solder but I think finding the right areas to solder would be the key. Seems to me that these companies are designing the equipment to go out soon after the warranty expires.
agdoc2001
AG
76Ag said:

Called up Denon support again today. I talked to a man there for about twenty minutes. He walked me through several things to check but nothing worked. Finally, he suggested a system reset which is done by turning the power off and back on while holding the tuner + and - buttons while hitting the power switch. I hit the power switch to turn it off but it came right back on by itself. I then held the button down to try and turn it off. Sometime during that the sound started working again. I never reset the receiver. I had switched the XBox 360 from one HDMI input to another right before that. He thought maybe that woke something up. I had also changed the optical wires around. The bottom line is that I don't know what really did the trick. That may be a problem if this ever happens again. I really did not want to unhook all the wires and send the unit in for service. I was tempted to purchase another receiver but I really didn't want to do that, either. These AV receivers seem unreliable. Back in December my Onkyo AV receiver had three of the HDMI ports just quit working. Are these problems normal or am I just unlucky?
So......that thing I posted to do 10 days ago fixed it?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
76Ag
AG
Maybe, though I never held down the Tuner + and - buttons. I pushed the power button but it did not turn off. I held down the power switch to attempt to turn it off and I think that's when the sound came back. So you were partially right and I should have tried that from the first. I am not sure why I didn't.
agdoc2001
AG
Just giving you a hard time. I spend way too much of my free time swearing at electronics inside my AV closet so I've encountered plenty of these issues over the last couple years.
76Ag
AG
I do understand that! I never looked at the front of the receiver close enough to see the tuner + & - buttons so I don't think I understood your suggestion. Now I get it. Thanks. Those markings are not very distinct.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.