Nitrogen Cooled Over-Clocking...

3,730 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nomad2007
scottimus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever done it?

I am seeing a lot of kits and DIYs, and I just so happen to access to liquid nitrogen every day?

I also am doing some heavy processing on a 3.3 machine and think I could ramp it up?

Sounds fun!.

Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
Capt. Obvious
looks cold
pnut02
AG
Username checks out
nipper
AG
I would be really hesitant to try something like this. A nitrogen cooled computer would be classified as a "show computer" and would be very challenging to run on a regular basis. Unless you are trying to do some ridiculous overclocking (like beyond what water cooling could handle) a system like this just isn't needed.

On the subject of outlandish cooling systems, full immersion systems are awesome:

tamusc
AG
Typically those kits are for competitive overclocking (benchmark scoreboards, raw CPU speeds, etc.), rather than as a daily driver. Fun to mess around with, but not in any way practical. There are still some sub-ambient, phase change cooling kits out there, but they carry many of the same issues with condensation that LN cooling.

You're best bet for a daily use computer is probably an open loop watercooling setup or maybe something like the immersion cooling rig posted above.
JSKolache
AG
Liquid metal cooling or gtfo
tamusc
AG
JSKolache said:

Liquid metal cooling or gtfo

I've got liquid metal on my delidded 7900X between the die and IHS. Almost 20C cooler temps than I was getting with the stock Intel toothpaste-like TIM and allowed me to run it at 4.7Ghz on all cores full time.
Ronniecoleman30
AG
Back before marriage, I was into overclocking. I used to mess with liquid nitrogen and also had a vapochill case for everyday use. Unless your really extreme a good water cooled system works just as good.
Laser Wolf
scottimus said:

Anyone ever done it?

I am seeing a lot of kits and DIYs, and I just so happen to access to liquid nitrogen every day?

I also am doing some heavy processing on a 3.3 machine and think I could ramp it up?

Sounds fun!.

So when you stop using it, all that frost build up melts and shorts out your mobo?
tamusc
AG
That definitely can if you don't insulate properly or pour too much LN into the cooler at the wrong time.

Some motherboards, like the Asus Apex series, have moisture sensors all over them for use with sub-ambient cooling like LN that can give you a warning or even trigger an autoshutdown to protect the system.
ntxVol
They need to purge the surrounding air with CO2 or nitrogen to remove the water vapor and prevent condensation.

scottimus
AG
From what I've seen in a couple kits, these LN coolers have an evaporator surrounding it to "burn" off the condensation. Interesting technique.

I'm doing 3D processing and agricultural photogrammetry. 18 hour processing days are a good day, 36 for 3D.

I was thinking of making a drip to keep it cool? I'm not going for -175 degrees consistently like some of theses guys. Just want to push the limit a little for faster processing.

I'm building a new processing rig, so my current one is open for experimentation.
Suppose I was an idiot. Suppose I was a member of congress. But, I repeat myself.
scottimus
AG
In all seriousness, LN cooling would help my bottom line, the processing is what is holding me down!
tamusc
AG
Really cool, semi-closed loop LN cooling system demoed at Computex by EVGA and Kingpin.

scottimus
AG
Nice, 75% LN2 recycled. That is awesome.

Still looks like lots of condensation can build up.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, you can see then heating elements all over the system to minimize condensation buildup on the main components,
BrazosDog02
AG
scottimus said:

From what I've seen in a couple kits, these LN coolers have an evaporator surrounding it to "burn" off the condensation. Interesting technique.

I'm doing 3D processing and agricultural photogrammetry. 18 hour processing days are a good day, 36 for 3D.

I was thinking of making a drip to keep it cool? I'm not going for -175 degrees consistently like some of theses guys. Just want to push the limit a little for faster processing.

I'm building a new processing rig, so my current one is open for experimentation.
I'm not up to speed on our processing equipment, but our 8 petaflop Cray system didn't even use nitrogen cooling, and these systems processed jobs that took 3 weeks or more to run 24/7.

Is nitrogen cooling really necessary?
benMath08
AG
tamusc said:

Yeah, you can see then heating elements all over the system to minimize condensation buildup on the main components,
So cold you have to heat it up???

How do you cool the heating elements?
tamusc
AG
benMath08 said:

tamusc said:

So cold you have to heat it up???

How do you cool the heating elements?

Seriously though, you just want to cool the CPU with the LN. The warmers keep things like the PCB and back of the socket from going sub-ambient to prevent condensation from forming on them.The warmers don't get more than warm to the touch (so don't require cooling) and are a better solution than a crap ton of neoprene (or similar) insulation that is a PITA to remove and reapply if you need to swap parts that you'd have to use otherwise.

Condensation build up = dead mobo/CPU/etc
tamusc
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

scottimus said:

I'm not up to speed on our processing equipment, but our 8 petaflop Cray system didn't even use nitrogen cooling, and these systems processed jobs that took 3 weeks or more to run 24/7.

That's because the Cray was using a bunch of slower, more efficient processors in parallel to get to that 8 petaflops of computing power. Some workloads don't work well in parallel and a system like a Cray would be wildly inefficient to process them in terms of cost.

Higher clockspeeds benefit those processes that don't run in parallel very well (or beyond a certain point). When you really start pushing silicon beyond the speeds it was designed to run at, it becomes less and less efficient, which leads to significantly increased heat generation (and therefore significantly increased cooling needs).
scottimus
AG
Right On tamusc.

The photogammetry software does not support parallel processing. The closest it will support is a GPU CUDA processing based systems (which I am about to start a thread on). I believe it will not even use more than 2 cores for processing so even multi core systems don't always hold an advantage.

Besides, don't think a Cray super computer is within my budget. Just a picture of their supercomputer cost $10 bucks! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cray-2-Supercomputer-Photographic-Print/656231108?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6720&adid=22222222227150149666&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=262120584628&wl4=pla-461524696044&wl5=9027902&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117018889&wl11=online&wl12=656231108&wl13=&veh=sem

Lol

On a serious note, I am processing 80 gigs worth of data on test bench build rig with about $1000 in components, so I am pretty low on the market for my first build. They are trying to develop a server based program for processing but it is not out yet.
BrazosDog02
AG
I see. That makes sense.
Tomdoss92
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

scottimus said:

the answer was 42, wasn't it. Pretty sure Deep Thought was a 486, so it took a little longer than 3 weeks.
nomad2007
AG
Exactly how much are people overclocking these damn processors that they need liquid nitrogen?
tamusc
AG
nomad2007 said:

Exactly how much are people overclocking these damn processors that they need liquid nitrogen?
der8auer got the new 8086K (basically a binned, anniversary edition of the 8700k just released in honor of the 40th anniversary of the 8086) up to over 7.3 GHz using LN. That's a 2.3 GHz overclock from the stock 5.0 Ghz for that CPU.

tamusc
AG
A bit more in depth video on that (semi) closed loop LN cooling setup in action.

nomad2007
AG
That is amazing
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.