Did I fail during PC build?

1,889 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ag_of_08
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching Youtube videos for a while about PC installation and read the manuals.

Last night, I finally started putting my PC together. After putting the CPU in the motherboard, I installed the CPU cooler with cement and THEN started to screw the motherboard to the case. I then noticed that the CPU cooler blocks me from installing on of the screws. Will this be a problem? Does the screw actually serve a purpose besides structural?

Here is my part list if needed. part list on PC part picker

Do I need to try to take off the cooler so I can properly install the MB?

Thanks
FatZilla
AG
No, its perfectly fine. How many other screws do you have already in place holding the mobo to the case?
AtlAg05
AG
With that cooler you have to make sure the "X" bracket is setup in the correct direction for your Intel chip. There are two ways to set it, for AMD and Intel.

And when you said "cement" you mean thermal paste right?

But I would take the cooler off, clean the old paste off with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure the mount is correct for the cooler and try again.

Nothing is wrong with taking it off

Edit, read your message and realized what you were doing. What Zillow said, if you have 5/6 screws I think you'll be fine
bearamedic99
AG
there are holes for 9 screws but I think I would prefer to undo and do it correctly.

Thank you for the help, especially that I can clean off the old paste with Isopropyl alcohol. I'm just very nervous about breaking something.
javajaws
AG
Back in the old days we were doing good if you could line up 4 holes. I think you'll be fine.
chigger
AG
Yeah i rarely put more than 4-5 screws into the motherboard. Youre good on that part. Do make sure about the fan though.
Caliber
AG
quote:
Back in the old days we were doing good if you could line up 4 holes. I think you'll be fine.
+1. I never worry about how many are in as long as I feel there are enough evenly spaced to make it secure.
TX scallywAG
AG
Agreed they never fit when I was growing up. I've seen one of these personally lol.

This one is hilarious

---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Ag_of_08
AG
I hope he means paste and not adhesive. I realize most cores are not exposed on modern CPU's I've handled, but I still have nightmares of watch a friend rip a core off a brand new AMD chip with a water block !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.