Online Backup - who's best these days?

1,068 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by merlin403
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a handful of consulting clients that I had on Carbonite as a secondary backup for their Windows Servers, but upon renewal it turns out they won't allow the personal plan on servers anymore. The business plan is about five times more expensive and my clients would prefer less expensive options.

I looked at iDrive but I see the comments at the PCMag review are pretty negative. I remembered lots of people on here singing Crashplan's praises but again - lots of negative comments in forums. I guess their new version is causing issues.

I've used Backup4All before and I see they now support back up to Amazon Glacier so I'm thinking about experimenting with that, but not sure how the costs would end up.

What say you, Nerdery?
CapCity12thMan
AG
your Amazon costs should be easy to predict, so I don't know why you can't get a better idea on that.

AWS S3 pricing

Reminder - Glacier has about a 3-4 hour request time, so you need to take that into consideration for when you need to recover/restore something you have backed up. Also, not knowing your business or how large your backups are, nor their retention policy kind of limits recommendations.

We use AWS extensively. Costs are pretty low for this type stuff. Use the link I gave to do some math and figure out your costs.

DAM
AG
Love me some Crashplan. If you have a NAS more than likely there's a headless client to take care of your stuff.

dam
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks for that link. I will do some research. I wasn't saying I couldn't figure out how much it would cost I just meant that I hadn't got around to doing it yet.
hunter2012
AG
Get the former student email and use the unlimited google drive. It's free and it'll last as long as Google does.
bco2003
AG
CrashPlan.

Their cloud backup is reasonable, but I use their free computer to computer option, backing up to a family member's computer in another state.
Al Bula
AG
I use Google Drive through my AFS account. Assuming the unlimited quota stays around, what's the advantage of another service?
merlin403
I'm also a big fan of Crashplan using a headless client. I use it to backup up my Synology which stores all of our family photos and although it was initially a little more of a pain to configure using Windows than Mac it's still doable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.