"HDMI signal too strong for your TV"

16,260 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by TexasRebel
AgDrumma07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a brand new Vizio 24" 1080p LED TV that keeps showing "No signal" on the screen when connected to my cable box:

http://store.vizio.com/e241a1.html

It is connected directly to a brand new AT&T Uverse wireless receiver via a brand new HDMI cable. It powers up with the input set for HDMI and shows "No signal" on the screen. When I unplug the HDMI, then plug it back in, it works fine.

I just spoke with Vizio tech support and they are telling me that the HDMI signal "may be too strong" for this size TV. It sounds really weird but apparently that's what their engineers believe is the problem. They suggested changing the resolution settings on the cable box, but my plan was to split the HDMI signal to two TVs and use only one box.

I'm calling AT&T tomorrow morning but is this a possible cause for this type of issue? While on the phone with Vizio they asked me to plug in a different device via HDMI so I tried my Blu-Ray player and had no issues. I tried it with the TV off first, then with the TV on, and it worked both times.

If this is the issue, I may have to settle for a dedicated receiver for this TV. I don't think I could run component cables off the shared box to this TV.
permabull
AG
AgDrumma07
AG
I'm using a Mon..............oprice cable.
jg07
AG
quote:

I'm using a Mon..............oprice cable.
Phew. Damn good thing. The signal from the Monster cable would have probably knocked the damn thing off the wall.
PooDoo
AG
You can run component and HDMI off the same Uverse box at the same time. At least mine can.
AgDrumma07
AG
PooDoo, any special setup or just plug and play? Are you using R/W/Y or R/W/B/G/R cables?
AustinScubaAg
AG
The Visio tech support guy is a moron.

The likely cause of this is an issue with hot plug detect circuit. The issue could be on either end. If it is the hot plug detect circuit, see if the order you power on the two devices makes a difference. You could also plug a differnt device into the HDMI port and see if it works fine.

If it works with other devices my guess is it is the Uverse reciever. Once issue I have seen in the past is an incorrect resistor was instaledd in a device causing a similar issue.
AgDrumma07
AG
Austin, while I tend to want to agree with you, I had this same issue with the old Uverse box before AT&T replaced it yesterday. I can also "hot plug" my other TV (older and different model) with no issues. It doesn't matter which order I power on the older TV with HDMI.
TexasRebel
AG
So. Your 1's are too large?
permabull
AG
AgDrumma07
AG
quote:
Edit: if its brand new I would return it

I'm considering this but I no longer have the box or the manuals (wasn't expecting issues with a brand new, basic TV). I DO have the receipt...I wonder if Target will take it back...
Icecream_Ag
S
had the same issue and went back and forth with ATT for about a month on it. They kept trying to blame Samsung, but the port and cable worked fine with other devices so it was something with the box.

After a replacement box and an HDMI cable they provided with no resolution I ended up getting component cables and havent had an issue since.

It may be a tv size thing as mine is 32" and it seems all of the reports of this happening are on 32" or smaller screens, but it has been a while since I looked into the issue.
AgDrumma07
AG
quote:
After a replacement box and an HDMI cable they provided with no resolution I ended up getting component cables and havent had an issue since.

Is your cable box shared with another TV (HDMI to 1 TV and component to the other TV) or is it dedicated to that one TV?
Icecream_Ag
S
one tv.

I have a wireless box in the other room for that tv.
AgDrumma07
AG
My concern with running component cables to the Vizio is that, if it truly is the HDMI signal coming out of the box, it won't matter what kind of cable I'm using. It MIGHT be better to give the TV it's own dedicated box, but it still seems weird.
Icecream_Ag
S
I truly believe that the HDMI ports on the boxes are screwed up somehow.

If the box is near the TV I would try the component cable first just to make sure.
AgDrumma07
AG
quote:
I truly believe that the HDMI ports on the boxes are screwed up somehow.

If that was true, then my 52" Philips (which is 6+ years old) wouldn't work on the same box. But it does.
Icecream_Ag
S
like I said earlier, it only seemed to affect smaller tvs when I was having the issue.

There is something screwed up between the wall, the box, and the tv.
AgDrumma07
AG
Gotcha. I'll call AT&T and see what they say.

What a pain in the ass just to have a TV in the kitchen!
SpicewoodAg
AG
I think Vizio is full of crap. It is also possible one or both of these boxes are out of spec handling HDMI. Pretty sad if that is true. HDMI signals have very precisely prescribed characteristics. And as a digital signal - it should vary by only minute amounts in regards to signal strength.

Any chance the Vizio could have a firmware update waiting?
AgDrumma07
AG
quote:
Any chance the Vizio could have a firmware update waiting?

I checked online and didn't see anything. I'll see if the actual TV has any info tonight.
SecAg
AG
Had this same issue a few years ago with Uverse and a new Aquos. The Uverse installer just flat out told me their boxes have trouble connecting to Sharp's via HDMI. Component worked fine so that's what I went with until the Sharp crapped out. I replaced it with a Samsung and connected HDMI with no issues.
TP Ag '87
AG
Does this ever occur with DirecTV?
QBCade
AG
Probably the Vizio tv. I've had HDMI issues with my Vizio. Sometimes the picture will just go black when I change channels on my D* or now comcast box. I'll have to cycle the HDMI inputs and then it's there. Also, have had issues with Chromecast when I have to unplug it and plug it back in. They must have some odd fw or circuit on their HDMI ports is my guess as I've never had this issue with Panny or Sammys.
permabull
AG
AustinScubaAg
AG
For what is it worth, this type of issue has nothing to do with panel size. The sad thing is it is almost always the slow speed I2C bus used to read the TV capabilities or the detect pin. For years both TV manufactures and content devices have had comparability issues because of not following the spec.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
For what is it worth, this type of issue has nothing to do with panel size. The sad thing is it is almost always the slow speed I2C bus used to read the TV capabilities or the detect pin. For years both TV manufactures and content devices have had comparability issues because of not following the spec.

I agree panel size has nothing to do with it. However the smaller panels are by definition cheaper TVs and the manuf may spec lower quality circuitry all around. The $2000 Panasonic plasma probably won't have this problem.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
I have this same issue currently with Uverse

I use the unplug/plug method and it works.

TV is a 26" Insignia that is rarely used for TV.

If it wasn't so easy for me to just unplug/plug, it would probably bother me more.

The "HDMI signal is too strong..." excuse is hilarious, BTW.

[This message has been edited by Worlds Foremost Ag (edited 1/28/2014 4:58p).]
AustinScubaAg
AG
quote:
I agree panel size has nothing to do with it. However the smaller panels are by definition cheaper TVs and the manuf may spec lower quality circuitry all around. The $2000 Panasonic plasma probably won't have this problem.

The sad thing is it costs a couple of cents to do this right. Usually source device vendors try to make sure their device works with bad implementations. My last company spent a lot of effort to make sure it worked with crappy TVs.
3rdGenAg06
AG
quote:
wasn't expecting issues with a brand new, basic TV

FWIW, "brand new" electronics are always something worth keeping the original packaging for. Never know when you'll end up with a lemon or a component that fails within the first couple months still covered by the warranty/refund period.
AgDrumma07
AG
Well, the component cable did the trick. I picked one up at Target and plugged it into the Uverse box while my main TV was hooked up via HDMI. I can now mirror the same channel on both TVs, which is what I wanted in the first place. Here is proof with the TVs set up in a test format:

Of course, my luck has it that a 6 ft. cable is about a foot short after running it through the wall. So, now I have to find an extension component cable. I don't want to have to run a whole new cable through the wall...

Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I hope anyone else that has this same issue can resolve it in a similar fashion.
Waterski02
AG
Just tape the new longer cable to the old one and pull. I've never seen a component extension cable.
TexasRebel
AG
it would just be a set of barrel connectors.

avoid it if you can
AgDrumma07
AG
Taping and pulling was how I got this one through but it took an hour to weave it past the Romex and outlet boxes in the same wall cavity. Not to mention the 5 connectors that also got in the way.

Also, I'm not worried about signal interference from the Romex. I did some research online and I should be safe. The component cable won't be bundled together or in conduit with the Romex.
TexasRebel
AG
It still shouldn't be a problem unless you bought poorly shielded component cable.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.