HTC Touch vs. HTC Mogul

373 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by DAM
nactownag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Which should I get?

I'm leaning toward the touch.

I have a few modifications that I can do to make the keyboard more user friendly.

The Touch has Twice the RAM which will allow the phone to run programs more smoothly (major selling point for me). It has the same processor as the Mogul. The touch is about 50% lighter, significantly smaller, and has a better battery life.

One disadvantage is it does not have Integrated WiFi

Also, the Mogul has EVDO Rev A whereas the Touch just has Rev 0

But I don't think that I will be using the internet that often that I will require the 1 Mb/sec that Rev A offers. I think Rev 0 will be fast enough for my needs.

The Touch still has a lot of the good features of a Windows Mobile phone such as Microsoft Office, etc,. even though it doesn't really have the Windows "look"

I just really don't see how getting the touch could be a bad thing.

Besides it's $50 cheaper.

All in All:

It's not the "raw mobile pda" that the Mogul is but I don't think that is enough to keep me away from the touch.

Anyone here have experience with either of these phones?

HTC Touch Pictures:

HTC Touch Video

HTC Mogul Pictures:

HTC Mogul Video

[This message has been edited by nactownag (edited 5/2/2008 6:45a).]
DAM
AG
I played around with the touch and own a mogul. the mogul is a "business" phone. if you will be doing a lot of email and looking over documents, etc, then go with the mogul. if it's just a phone for texting, calls, some surfing, then go with the touch.

dam
nactownag
AG
Thanks for that word of advice.

It is a tough call for me but I think that Mogul is more something I would want (like you said) if I'm going to work daily and wearing a suit and tie and have more things to use it for.

This seems more handy for college life.
Thriller
AG
My Mogul drains the battery like crazy.

It's set up that when you close out of a program, it really just minimizes it. The program keeps running in the background, taking up a chunk of available memory.

I know there's an aftermarket program that I can buy that will hard close every program, but I really don't want to spend the money to buy it.
Hagen95
AG
quote:
It's set up that when you close out of a program, it really just minimizes it. The program keeps running in the background, taking up a chunk of available memory.

They addressed this issue with Windows Mobile 6. You can now close the program rather than minimize it.
ashkooly
I've had the mogul for about a month now. awesome phone! i've played around with my friend's touch, so i have a little experience with both. i would have to agree with you about the memory. if the mogul had the same memory as the touch, then it would be the hands-down choice. although it may not be as big a deal as you think.

when i first start up my phone, the only real program running in the background is activesync, so once i close that out, i'm at about 59-60% memory. i have a number of programs installed, including htc home, google maps, palringo, and slither's cube. i think slithers cube is the only program that gives me problems with the memory. once i open it, it doesn't initially take up a lot of memory, but i think theres a leak or something that it eats up more as it goes.

also, instead of paying for program to handle memory, just go download oxios closeapps. i put a link in htc home and i click every now and then and close out about another meg or two of memory.

as far as comparing both phones, its still a tough decision. like you said, if you're really not utilizing the true business aspect of the phone, then the touch would be a good choice. but also know that you'll be losing the slide-out keyboard and have a smaller screen. if the mod you have for the keyboard really helps, thats fine, but i hated using the touch's on-screen keyboard. also, the touch stlyus is smaller than a normal one. feels a little weird in my hand. the mogul has a telescoping stylus that feels better. minor quirk, but still a difference.
GreasenUSA
AG
quote:
They addressed this issue with Windows Mobile 6. You can now close the program rather than minimize it.

The phone came with Windows Mobile 6. The issue was finally addressed back in March with the most recent ROM update (still using Windows Mobile 6). You can now use the X-button at the top right hand corned to choose if you want to completely exit out of the application.

Since upgrading to the newest ROM, my battery life has increased from about 8 or 10 hours to somewhere between 24-48 hours. The GPS is cool too, along with the Revision A speeds.
nactownag
AG
Thanks ash

I plan on doing some modifications similar to yours.

Of course it comes standard with the HTC home thing. I mainly just plan on adding the keyboard and iphone contacts form.

The last thing I want is my phone running slow. I'm paranoid about that. If I got the mogul i would be adding more programs than that too.

If only they had more RAM..
WestTexAG
AG
I've had both phones. The touch is a much better device performance wise. The downfall to me though with the touch, is the pure touchscreen environment. It's not that easy to type long emails on that thing, which I do a whole lot, so I had to get rid of it. Depends on what you desire to do. If you want to type a lot, the touch won't be good for you, no matter what kb replicator you use.
nactownag
AG
Yeah Im sure its tough typing but let me ask you this....if I can type pretty dang fast on my flip phone....it can't be much worse on the touch can it?
jagouar1
AG
what provider are you with? because all providers have some new stuff coming out pretty soon.
Diet Cokehead
AG
quote:
Since upgrading to the newest ROM, my battery life has increased from about 8 or 10 hours to somewhere between 24-48 hours. The GPS is cool too, along with the Revision A speeds.

I agree with this. My battery life and internet speed has gotten amazing with the update with the Mogul.

It's like having an entirely new phone.
nactownag
AG
So I went to the Sprint store today and while I was there toying with both of these phones...the Touch froze twice in about 20 minutes. No way jose. I'm going with the Mogul.
AG
Mogul all the way!

"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
Reload8098
AG
I'm taking my mogul back, way to hard to dial, the extra step of having to slide the keyboard, start typing a name and then slide the keyboard back so you can hold it in your hand is very cumbersome to me
nactownag
AG
Reload you just need to modify it slightly.
jg07
AG
I've got gps and EVDO rev A on my touch now. It will officially be coming out probably in June, but ppcgeeks.com has it now if you are brave enough to flash your phone.

As for the comparison of the two...

I started with a Mogul but like you I'm a college student and switched to the touch because it has a much smaller feel to it. Its a lot easier to put in your pocket. The larger memory is probably the biggest difference though, it is so nice not having to worry about what programs are open and its a lot snappier.

The major drawback of course is the lack of keyboard. Some people can't get used to the on screen keyboard.

jwag
AG
If you like the form factor of the Touch but need a suretype keyboard wait for the locked Touch Dual to come out soon or buy one unlocked from www.wirelessimports.com.

Demo: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/touch-dual/htc-touch-dual-slider-video-walkthrough-306304.php

nactownag
AG
jwag...why would i shell out 599 bucks for a phone! Seriously.
jwag
AG
That's for an unlocked version, no carrier contracts/restrictions. You can get one for less soon through a carrier but you'll be locked into a phone plan for at least 2 years most likely. Just giving you the options out there.
nactownag
AG
Thanks. You think Sprint is releasing this version?

I still think i will go with the Mogul. But I won't be buying anything for the next few weeks probably.
jwag
AG
Sprint will not be releasing the Dual for a few months if at all.

FWIW, I have a work friend has the Mogul and she swears by it. Seemed like a pretty good phone in my limited experience with it.
BigAg95
AG
the mogul is over a year old, there is probably a better version coming soon if it is not already out
jg07
AG
quote:
the mogul is over a year old, there is probably a better version coming soon if it is not already out

Yeah and it only took Sprint and HTC 3/4 of a year to get a firmware out that made it usable.
GreasenUSA
AG
i bought the Mogul the week it came out in July '07
Reload8098
AG
nactown,

What do you mean modify it?

I'm lost here.
nactownag
AG
Peep this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BvnqM2x1yyg
DAM
AG
HTC Touch Diamond has just been presented by HTC, looks pretty sweet.

dam
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.