Draft disaster at QB

3,662 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by W
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I messed around in my draft and waited on a QB, and then a run on people taking their QB2 depleted the options by the time it came back around to me.

I have Jameis Winston and then picked up Jimmy G for a backup. Goff and Daniel Jones are available on waivers.

The lesson here is for y'all to not let that happen to you!
txagman1998
AG
Unless your league has 16 teams or is a start 2 QB league, I wouldn't worry. You should have a more balanced starting lineup and deeper bench then your league mates if they drafted 2 QBs before you drafted 1. Frankly, I don't understand the strategy of having a backup QB in a start 1 QB league. In a 12 team league, there will always be options on the waiver wire to stream if your starter gets hurt.

For now, I would roll with Jameis and keep your eye on how waiver wire QBs are performing early in the season. Goff looked better late last year after the Lions fired their OC and opened up the play calling. There may also be options like Davis Mills, Matt Ryan and Baker Mayfield that can give you decent starts throughout the season. Jimmy G is just a lottery ticket at this point until the Niners trade or release him. Also, if one of your league mates has injuries at a thin position, you can trade one of your depth players for their QB2 if need be.
MookieBlaylock
AG
You drafted Jimmy G

txagman1998
AG
Just to be clear, there are certain circumstances where it might make sense to have 2 QBs on the roster. For example, if this year you decide to sign up for the Trey Lance Experience, I won't fault you for having David Carr on your bench just in case Lance doesn't work out as planned. Otherwise, I struggle to see the reason why a team would draft Josh Allen or Justin Herbert early and then add Aaron Rodgers later in the draft.
Matsui
AG
The 49s announced jimmy g would not be starting this year. Drop him
Already.
ac04
yikes
TX_Aggie37
AG
If someone is using Carr as their QB2, see if you can trade for him. I personally think he's teed up for a huge stat year, and you might be able to get him pretty cheap.
Zachary Klement
AG
txagman1998 said:

Just to be clear, there are certain circumstances where it might make sense to have 2 QBs on the roster. For example, if this year you decide to sign up for the Trey Lance Experience, I won't fault you for having David Carr on your bench just in case Lance doesn't work out as planned. Otherwise, I struggle to see the reason why a team would draft Josh Allen or Justin Herbert early and then add Aaron Rodgers later in the draft.
Odds are the guys that have studs like that and ended up grabbing a backup will cut the backup early on in the season. I would be on the lookout when that happens.
NoahAg
Meh, if you grabbed Jameis in round 9 or 10 I wouldn't worry about it.
Someone always picks a QB way to early in my league and I just roll with it. I'd rather hunt down a RB2.
Let's go, Brandon!
W
AG
need to make a trade for the likes of Carr, Cousins, Rodgers, Lance, et al

who is your RB3 or WR3?
The Porkchop Express
Watch the news like a hawk. Someone will get hurt or some young guy will suddenly figure it out and be on the waiver wire waiting for you. You can make a killing in ffl streaming quarterbacks playing vs **** defenses or qbs whose top running back is hurt. Getting a qb on a bad team means they are always down 35-17 in the 4th and wind up throwing the ball 50 times. Mahomes and Allen are great, but they also sit out a few 4th quarters per year.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
chris1515
AG
We are required to hold two QBs on the roster at all times. So in a 12 team league, 24 QBs are rostered. So the waiver wire is fairly thin. Daniel Jones and Goff are out there now, thinking about them.

I realized Jimmy G is not starting for San Fran, but my theory is that he will be starting for either SEA or CLE by week 2.
chris1515
AG
My roster outside of QB

RB-
Akers
Devin Singletary
Damien Harris
Deonta Foreman
Miles Sanders

WR
Jamar Chase
Devonta Adams
Allen Lazard
Micheal Gallup

TE
Waller

Start 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 flex

Squirrel Master
AG
Ouch.

Chase/Adams in the first/second?
chris1515
AG
Correct, picked at spot 11 out of 12.
boy09
AG
chris1515 said:

We are required to hold two QBs on the roster at all times. So in a 12 team league, 24 QBs are rostered. So the waiver wire is fairly thin. Daniel Jones and Goff are out there now, thinking about them.
This is a bad rule.
txagman1998
AG
Saints don't have a Bye until Week 14, so while you may want to upgrade your backup if the Jimmy G lottery ticket doesn't come through, you should be okay at QB as long as Winston stays healthy.

Also, I noticed that you have Michael Gallup. You could put him on IR once his Week 1 status is official. You could then roster a third QB and wait until Gallup comes off IR to make your decision at backup QB.

One other question, is your league full PPR, half PPR, or non PPR?
Goldie Wilson
chris1515 said:

My roster outside of QB

RB-
Akers
Devin Singletary
Damien Harris
Deonta Foreman
Miles Sanders

WR
Jamar Chase
Devonta Adams
Allen Lazard
Micheal Gallup

TE
Waller

Start 2 rb, 2 wr, 1 te, 1 flex

Rule#2
AG
Sheesh
Matsui
AG
Keep us posted on your standings
txagman1998
AG
FYI re: Jimmy G…

chris1515
AG
I saw that. Hard to believe this.
I'm dropping him and bidding on Daniel Jones. Maybe Daboll can work some magic there and give me a decent backup option.
ac04
what are the other options?
Mumbo Jimbo
I play a 2 QB league (one is flex)
Allen and Dak
12 teams
EliteZags
AG
try to stream sneak into playoffs and stash Watson midseason?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I saw that. Hard to believe this.

I'm dropping him and bidding on Daniel Jones
well it was announced lance was starter in july, so should be easy to believe by now.

do not bid anything more than $1 for Jones.
DannyDuberstein
AG
As long as Daniel Jones' mom isn't in your fantasy league, you should be good on that $1 bid. And you'd probably be good even if she is
chris1515
AG
I picked up Jones for a $0 bid.

Dropped Jimmy G. I was certain he was getting dropped and would be starting in Seattle by week 3! Not that he would be any great in that scenario anyway…
LincolnBorglum79
AG
Playing 2 QBs totally changes draft strategy. In normal start 1 qb leagues you can get a great QB late because most only carry 1 or maybe 2. I drafted Tom Brady as the 11th QB taken last year and almost won the Super Bowl. This year I am going QB late hoping for Stafford or Rodgers.

If you are starting 2 QBs most mocks have Josh Allen as first pick in draft and 7-10 QBs going in first 20 picks. It's a totally different game.

chris1515
AG
So far this season I've started Jameis, Daniel Jones, Mariota, and Cooper Rush at QB.

Bridgewater is the starting QB for this week!
txagman1998
AG
Yeah, it's been tricky this season if you didn't get one of Allen/Jackson/Mahomes/Hurts/Herbert/Burrow. That being said, streaming and playing matchups is tough but doable, if you're willing to do a little extra research. Good luck!
ElephantRider
AG
I drafted Trey Lance. Rolling with Goff now
chris1515
AG
After rotating through numerous QBs from the waiver wire, I managed to trade for Trevor Lawrence. He got hot the last few weeks and I'm still alive in the playoffs.

But Mathew Berry made a compelling case against him in Love/Hate this week based on the matchup against the Jets, and it looked like horrible weather.

So I scooped up Russell Wilson off waivers and am starting him this week against the Rams! I'm hopeful that game will have a lot more scoring than people expect.

Lawrence scored a decent 21 points, but for me to win my matchup this week I need someone to vastly exceed their expectation and I didn't think Lawrence had a chance to do that.
MookieBlaylock
AG
how many points did you get from that garbage time russel wilson TD- Matthew Berry is a genius advising you to bench Lawrence for Russell wilson

excited as the guy counting down TD's vs Bathrooms in Russ's house is now at 11 TDs and 12 bathrooms

chris1515
AG
Berry didn't recommend that exact move. No one in their right mind would suggest THAT!

My gamble failed, but the rest of my team didn't do much either. So it didn't cost me a win. I was a heavy underdog and needed a Hail Mary to even be close.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.