Draft Strategy Question

1,391 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by YNWA_AG
TX_Aggie37
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the 4th pick in a 10 man draft. I am keeping Lamar Jackson for a 13th round pick. Other relevant keepers that will be off the board are Kamara, Chubb, Derrick Henry, Ekeler.

Assuming the first 3 off the board are Mcaffrey, Saquon, and Zeke, who would you target for the 4th pick? I'm a huge Michael Thomas guy, but wondering if I shouldn't try to go RB there since there will be so few quality guys left. Dalvin Cook would probably be who I'd take. Thoughts?
YNWA_AG
AG
I think you should go rb with that pick, you will probably be left with bell, carson, gurley, etc. as your rb1 if you pass on a rb there. There is much better value with wrs than rbs.
Saint Pablo
I'd monitor Dalvin Cook's holdout situation closely. If you feel confident about him playing, grab him if he is in fact the best RB available. If his contract situation is still shaky, I'd look at Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Kenyan Drake.
dc509
AG
Quote:

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

Though drafting him at 4th is difficult for me digest he does have a lot of upside in that offense. The biggest danger you're facing is that you could end up with essentially no one at running back if take a WR there. As mentioned I would pay attention to Cook's contract situation, but CE-H is a solid backup plan.
Fredd
AG
Clyde is getting pumped up pretty high right now. With his offense and no one to compete with he could be a top 3 rb.
TX_Aggie37
AG
I would obviously make sure I landed Mattison if I take Cook. I have a really hard time taking a rookie at 4.
dc509
AG
That's a fair concern.
Farmer1906
AG
Why is that obvious?
TX_Aggie37
AG
Mattison seems to be the most likely candidate for the bulk of the work should Cook hold out unless someone has heard something different.
Farmer1906
AG
If you're really worried about the holdout I think the smarter play would be to take a safer pick(no holdout risk) then grab Maddison late as a nice low risk, high reward play. If you draft Cook earlier it costs you the high pick and the low pick (2 roster spots) to hedge your bet.
YNWA_AG
AG
Mattison looked great last year so I wouldn't worry about dalvin if you have mattison
jimmo
oops
DuckDown2013
AG
Given there are already RB's being kept, I absolutely would take RB given the position lacks depth compared to WR. Definitely would monitor Dalvin. If I draft Dalvin, I'm reaching for Mattison given the potential contract situation. Therefore, I'm probably only taking Dalvin if he falls or the value is there in an auction.
W
AG
how many WR's does this league start?

if it's three I wouldn't rule out MT in the 1st round.

and if this is a 10-team league...you're picking at #4, #17, and #24.

your RB1 & RB2 will probably be some combination of Carson, Conner, Le'Veon, Gurley, et al...which isn't the end of the world considering the rushing yardage you'll get from Lamar.

might have to take Montgomery in the 4th or David Johnson in the 5th for RB depth
TX_Aggie37
AG
We start 2 RB, 2 WR and 1 Flex. Draft is tonight. Turns out Ekeler isn't being kept. Probably going to go Cook at 4 and hope either Aaron Jones or Ekeler fall to me at 17. If not then I'll go WR at 17 and get Carson or someone at 24.
DuckDown2013
AG
Let's hear it. I'm assuming ekeler didn't make it back to you.
TX_Aggie37
AG
2nd pick (Henry keeper) took Michael Thomas so I ended up with Zeke at 4.

QB: Lamar
RBs: Zeke, Aaron Jones, David Montgomery, DeAndre Swift, Zack Moss, Tony Pollard
WRs: Allen Robinson, AJ Brown, Robert Woods, Diontae Johnson, Christian Kirk, Darius Slayton
TE: Higbee
Saint Pablo
I like that squad
DuckDown2013
AG
TX_Aggie37 said:

2nd pick (Henry keeper) took Michael Thomas so I ended up with Zeke at 4.

QB: Lamar
RBs: Zeke, Aaron Jones, David Montgomery, DeAndre Swift, Zack Moss, Tony Pollard
WRs: Allen Robinson, AJ Brown, Robert Woods, Diontae Johnson, Christian Kirk, Darius Slayton
TE: Higbee

Really like it. Two very solid RB's with 3 very solid WR's and a top Qb.
Saint Pablo
A buddy asked for help drafting in his eight man league. I haven't ran an eight man league since I was a freshman in high school...any general bits of advice? I was thinking about still going RB/RB and maybe reaching for Mahomes or Lamar in the third or fourth. I ran one mock last night and am going to try to get another one in before the draft starts.
ac04
in a league that small you must have studs, so it is even more important to be the person starting position runs instead of the person finishing them.
Saint Pablo
So grabbing Kelce in the third and Lamar/Mahomes in the fourth wouldn't be bad moves if I can do that
ac04
no, probably a good idea actually. scarcity will be much less of an issue at the premium positions, there will be top 100 players available into the 12th round of the draft. get guys who give you a positional advantage and then worry about the rest.
YNWA_AG
AG
Not sure if the league is ppr, but this shows you the scarcity of positions
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.