Hypothetical: Super Bowl squares and OT

17,457 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by alvtimes
Bonfired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How would y'all handle this if you were running a board?

1. Extended 4th quarter (decide winners by 1st, 2nd, 3rd and end of game).
2. A separate 5th quarter, which could see a 5th winner (reducing the payout per quarter)...this opens up the incredibly unlikely scenario of multiple OTs being in play.
3. Ignore any OT and decide winners solely based on 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Star your preferred option below.
Bonfired
AG
Extended 4th quarter
Bonfired
AG
5th quarter (and perhaps beyond)
Bonfired
AG
Ignore OT
Goldie Wilson
1st, 2nd, 3rd, Final
Bonfired
AG
I would have to ask, huh...
Gramercy Riffs
AG
This has become a full blown argument in our office today. For the record, I didn't participate in the squares this year, but other people are pissed this morning. This is taken directly from the original email:

Quote:

First Quarter: $200.00
Second Quarter: $200.00
Third Quarter: $200.00
Fourth Quarter: $400.00

The person who typed the email, collected the money, and drew up the squares says that they never considered overtime. Fair enough.

The problem is that the person who organized it is also the person who had the winning square for the final score. Now they're saying it's "1st, 2nd, 3rd, Final", which is the way I would set it up originally, but that's not what the email said up front. Multiple solutions have been suggested, and every time someone different is upset. None of that seems to matter, because the organizer won't budge either way. (Bonus info, the 4th quarter winner and squares organizer also won the 2nd quarter.)

Regardless of how it should be, don't you have to go by what the original email says?
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

Regardless of how it should be, don't you have to go by what the original email says?

It should absolutely follow what the email said. Those were the rules laid out and that everyone agreed to play by when they put their money in. There shouldn't even be a question.
FTAG 2000
AG
If they said fourth quarter in email then they should pay out on that, not OT.

And next year it should read final not fourth.
NCNJ1217
AG
AG 2000' said:

This.

And in no way would it be required, but in order to keep the peace, the organizer in a show of good faith may want to consider removing themselves from the 4th quarter equation, i.e. Say something like, "it's the 4th quarter not Final as per email, but to show I'm not just saying that for my own benefit, I'm removing myself from 4th quarter consideration. Who's the next closest?"
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Agreed on all counts. I think it's common sense. I also think it's awesome that not only are people dealing with the first OT in Super Bowl squares history, but one person is involved as not only the organizer but as one of the potential winners as well.

I'm with you guys. The email said 4th quarter, so the 4th quarter square gets paid. Simple as that.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
NCNJ1217 said:

AG 2000' said:

This.

And in no way would it be required, but in order to keep the peace, the organizer in a show of good faith may want to consider removing themselves from the 4th quarter equation, i.e. Say something like, "it's the 4th quarter not Final as per email, but to show I'm not just saying that for my own benefit, I'm removing myself from 4th quarter consideration. Who's the next closest?"
But that's the thing - it's even worse than that. The organizer is not the 4th quarter winner. The organizer won based on the OVERTIME score!

This is a really bad look for that person. They're going against what the email said in order to keep the overtime winnings.
BMX Bandit
No question 4th quarter should get paid. That's what the email said and doesn't benefit the organizer

Only exception to me wouid be in the organizer had the 4th quarter squares. Any dispute should go against the one in charge IMO
NCNJ1217
AG
Wow. That's a really bad look on them. I misinterpreted your original post.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Only exception to me wouid be in the organizer had the 4th quarter squares. Any dispute should go against the one in charge IMO
I agree with this too. If I were the organizer, I'd want no part of any controversy. Heck, I don't even feel great about winning poker night when I'm the host.

And the organizer already won the 2nd quarter, so they're collecting money anyway.
AgEng06
AG
I agree that it should be carried out as the original email states.

That said, I run the squares in our office every year and we pay out 5 times. Last digits of Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, and Final. Final is the sum of each team's digits, reduced to a single number.

For example, last night's Final:
Pats - 3+4 = 7
Falcons - 2+8 = 10, 1+0 = 1

Also, this gives 5 people the chance to win and keeps it interesting.
agdx88
AG
I posed this question as we were signing at a party. Everyone looked at me funny "like why does it matter?" We agreed that is was end of game.

In the here, if it said paid by quarter, I would default to "end of game" as I interpret that as the intent. If it specifically said 1st, 2nd, etc
cs09
AG
Common sense would say extend to final score of the game. In a large group setting not among friends, which sounds like this is the case, go with the original specifics of the email. I can definitely see both sides.

Can the two parties really not just act like adults, recognize the other side has a legit position, and split the pot taking home $200 each?
Gramercy Riffs
AG
cs09 said:

Can the two parties really not just act like adults, recognize the other side has a legit position, and split the pot taking home $200 each?
You would think so, but apparently that hasn't happened. I'm blown away by how this has been handled between two otherwise friendly coworkers.
Bonfired
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

cs09 said:

You would think so, but apparently that hasn't happened. I'm blown away by how this has been handled between two otherwise friendly coworkers.

Ours didn't come to that, but I will definitely be much more specific next year...mine was pretty low key ($5 per square), and we're all pretty friendly, so no blowback.
wheelz
AG
1st quarter
Half
3rd quarter
End of game
03_Aggie
Not an issue on ours as the same person had both sets of numbers.
Ag Since 83
AG
When I've run squares in the past I always did

1sr
2nd
3rd
4th
End of game

And made it clear as long as the game doesn't go into overtime the winner of the 4th wins the end of game as well. In the event of overtime it makes the end of game not be a bigger prize than the others but I think that's better than having 8-8 and not winning any money even though that was the score at the end of one of the quarters.
Whooooooooooooooop
AG
I set my squares where OT would change the payout structure. Put the payout structure on the squares so there is no question as to how it will be handled. Pretty easy to avoid conflict with things like this.

So, if there is no OT:

1st Quarter = $500
2nd Quarter = $500
3rd Quarter = $500
4th Quarter = $500

If there is OT:

1st Quarter = $400
2nd Quarter = $400
3rd Quarter = $400
4th Quarter = $400
OT = $400
MooreTrucker
AG
Preferred option is extended 4th qtr, but the group I was with Sunday ended it at the end of the 4th and ignored the OT.
2wealfth Man
AG
Bump from '17. I am holding Double 9's for the end of the game. Rules don't say regulation or OT. What say you?
toucan82
duel at 10 paces

good luck
Bonfired
AG
AgEng06 said:

I agree that it should be carried out as the original email states.

That said, I run the squares in our office every year and we pay out 5 times. Last digits of Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, and Final. Final is the sum of each team's digits, reduced to a single number.

For example, last night's Final:
Pats - 3+4 = 7
Falcons - 2+8 = 10, 1+0 = 1

Also, this gives 5 people the chance to win and keeps it interesting.
After what happened in the Patriots-Falcons Super Bowl, I changed ours to a version of this, but like an "if-then" statement.

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, final

If OT, final score winner is done the like the first 4 quarters, with OT being treated as an extended 5th quarter, regardless of how long it actually takes (nearly went to OT2 last night).

If no OT, final score winner is determined like the post I quoted.

To the holder of the 9-9 square, hope it gets settled. Probably the first time ever for that square to hit.
BMX Bandit
2wealfth Man said:

Bump from '17. I am holding Double 9's for the end of the game. Rules don't say regulation or OT. What say you?

What do they say? 4Q? Final?
2wealfth Man
AG
BMX Bandit said:

2wealfth Man said:

What do they say? 4Q? Final?
end of the game
BMX Bandit
then there is no controversy. its clear its end of game.
kyledr04
AG
Pools should always have the last score be the final score, not score at he end of the fourth quarter. It sucks for whoever has numbers for the tie but it's makes it much simpler.

I was on pool that used the 4th Quarter and have the big prize to that person then kicked in a much smaller bonus payment for the winner of overtime. But the organizers chose to do that from their own money on the fly. It was nice for the overtime winner but I'm sure they would have preferred to winner the grand prize.
MooreTrucker
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

This has become a full blown argument in our office today. For the record, I didn't participate in the squares this year, but other people are pissed this morning. This is taken directly from the original email:

Quote:

First Quarter: $200.00
Second Quarter: $200.00
Third Quarter: $200.00
Fourth Quarter: $400.00

The person who typed the email, collected the money, and drew up the squares says that they never considered overtime. Fair enough.

The problem is that the person who organized it is also the person who had the winning square for the final score. Now they're saying it's "1st, 2nd, 3rd, Final", which is the way I would set it up originally, but that's not what the email said up front. Multiple solutions have been suggested, and every time someone different is upset. None of that seems to matter, because the organizer won't budge either way. (Bonus info, the 4th quarter winner and squares organizer also won the 2nd quarter.)

Our's and another one that I was in were 4th quarter and ignore OT, as it also was in 2017.

Had we gone Final rather than 4th, I would have won.

Your organizer is a selfish turd with no integrity. Maybe next time, consider OT, but they even admitted they didn't this time, so that's pretty much admitting it should be 4th qtr not final.
alvtimes
I dont think i've played one that even considered OT an option…. They usually say No OT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.