cross posted in Business and Investing forum.....COBRA and Insurance question

542 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Aggie95
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a decision to make....
Previous employer insurance coverage ended 8/31. I received my COBRA sign up information today. I have until 10/31 to make an election. My new employer insurance starts 10/1.

I was going to elect COBRA for the month of September figuring it was going to be around $500 - $800....well, it's $3,000!! My view is that I can pay for any necessary prescriptions, etc out of pocket and if something worse or more expensive pops up...I can then elect COBRA and get the coverage as it goes retroactive to Sep 1.

Am I crazy for not electing COBRA now? I know my wife is going to be stressed "not being covered".
ptothemo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, you aren't crazy and this is an easy way to game the system. There are two rules that matter here:

You have 60 days to make an election, starting from the date your active coverage ends or you receive your election notice, whichever is later.

You have 45 days after making an election to make payment.

So you could not make an election until ~10/29 and not pay a dime until ~12/10 and still be covered retroactive to 9/1.
Aggie95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ptothemo said:

No, you aren't crazy and this is an easy way to game the system. There are two rules that matter here:

You have 60 days to make an election, starting from the date your active coverage ends or you receive your election notice, whichever is later.

You have 45 days after making an election to make payment.

So you could not make an election until ~10/29 and not pay a dime until ~12/10 and still be covered retroactive to 9/1.

Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.