Job Network
Sponsored by

NYC- job help

2,840 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by BoDog
Quantarius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
my recent A&M grad daughter is headed to NYC in August---- thought I would see if any NYC aggies had some leads for her.

ultimately sales..but for now, anything to get her started
Ag_07
AG
I don't have anything to contribute on a job prospect but my general advice would be to avoid NYC especially if she's doesn't have a job lined up.
AggieOO
can't help with a job, but as someone who moved to NYC back in '05 with no job and no place to live, ignore the above advice. I spent 7.5 years up there and it was an incredible experience. She's going to have to hustle, but if it is somewhere she really wants to be, she can make it work. At one point early on, i was working three jobs, plus a side gig. I managed to parlay that experience into a role at a marketing firm doing event work in exactly what I wanted to do.
Quantarius
AG
AggieOO said:

can't help with a job, but as someone who moved to NYC back in '05 with no job and no place to live, ignore the above advice. I spent 7.5 years up there and it was an incredible experience. She's going to have to hustle, but if it is somewhere she really wants to be, she can make it work. At one point early on, i was working three jobs, plus a side gig. I managed to parlay that experience into a role at a marketing firm doing event work in exactly what I wanted to do.

she's going....has roommates and a good place to live.

she will hustle and figure it out I am 100% sure.

I signed her up for nyc aggie club. lots of other folks passing her resume around
AggieMainland
I agree with going. Young people should go live out their dreams. Failing isnt that big of a deal when you are starting with near nothing. This will be a great experience one way or another.
Quinn
AG
It's been almost a decade since I lived up there, but the New York A&M club was a good bunch of people while I was there. I loved my time in New York, and I hope that it works out well for your daughter too!
Quantarius
AG
Quinn said:

It's been almost a decade since I lived up there, but the New York A&M club was a good bunch of people while I was there. I loved my time in New York, and I hope that it works out well for your daughter too!

appreciate the well wishes.

I'm excited for her.
Quantarius
AG
thought I'd share an update...moved her up Aug 3 and she got a software sales job last week.

she hit the ground running and met/talked w a bunch of folks.

proud of her jumping in the deep end and swimming!
Quinn
AG
That's great to hear! Hope that she is enjoying life in New York.
SEConferenceAggie08
AG
Before we met, my wife moved to NYC with no job… she was working at NOV as an accountant, hated her job, had a quarter life crisis so she quit and decided to go! Found a job within a week as an accountant and enjoyed her time in NYC but ultimately decided to come back to Houston after being there for 2 years… we met shortly after she came back to Houston. Anyways, the company she was working for didn't want to lose her so they allowed her to work remote from Houston. She's been with the company now for 12 years and has worked her way up to a director role.

All that to say, she loved her time in NYC (even though she realized it wasn't for her) and would do it again in a heartbeat. I wish I would have been brave enough to do setting like that when I was younger. Good look to your daughter and good for her for making the move!
BoDog
AG
Very funny timing coming across this post. Just had this conversation with my oldest son. At first I said no way but now I am reconsidering. He graduates in a few years.

OP, what neighborhood did your daughter decide to move to? A few years back I used to go up there once a quarter for work so I am pretty familiar. If was great in the fall and spring. I despised the winters though. They were brutal!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.