Job Network
Sponsored by

Working at Chevron as an Intern

3,622 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by coastalaggie
GoodAg20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a virtual internship with Chevron as a Facilities Engineer Intern starting in the next month and wanted to see if anyone had any insight on the company's outlook and general day to day experiences they've had with the company. How has Chevron fared in its recovery from the pandemic?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Don't talk about being vaccinated, covid, masks etc. attend virtual meetings promptly, take initiative and listen more than you speak.
Petrino1
I used to work at Chevron and Im sure you can already guess, but there will be a lot of Chevron specific acronyms, lingo, buzzwords etc. Try and learn all of these as quick as you can. If you dont know what a specific acronym means then ask. The quicker you are "Chevronized" and can speak the Chevron lingo, the better it will be for you. Learn as much as you can about the business you're supporting. Who the key players are.

But most of all: show up on time, be prompt, respond to emails and requests right away, be helpful, nice, eager to learn, friendly, and pleasant to work with. This will get you far in any company, not just Chevron. You would be surprised how many people are just overall lazy and not pleasant to work with.

Oh and if youre in college I assume youre pretty good with powerpoint, excel, spreadsheets etc. And if you aren't then try and learn asap. Most older people are not very good at using these things and will rely on the younger folks for help. If you can help your boss with a lot of the technology stuff then you will be invaluable to them.
one MEEN Ag
AG
In the same vein, if the office has a big plotter printer you need to learn how to use it.

People way above my pay grade come running to me to print off large posters/charts for big meetings. I've learned things that would not have been shared otherwise.
TXTransplant
I was a co-op with Chevron from 1998-1999. Worked at a refinery (doing shift work) the first summer and then was in the process engineering group.

I don't have anything helpful to add, I'm just really curious what a "virtual internship" is.
jpd301
AG
Quote:

I'm just really curious what a "virtual internship" is.
At Chevron I have no idea - but in my industry virtual interns are simply interns that are working remotely instead of in a physical office.
TKEAg04
AG
I worked for Chevron for 5 years. Nothing to say other than the office politics are some of the worst I have ever experienced. I look back on those 5 years with nothing but disdain.
SweaterVest
AG
What type of facilities? Offshore or onshore?
aduey06
I would ask to go to the field and see if you can sit on some facilities construction. I think you would learn more that way than a virtual office internship.
one MEEN Ag
AG
SweaterVest said:

What type of facilities? Offshore or onshore?
Virtual.

Its like the Sims, but all the characters are angry when you ask them to turn a valve.
GoodAg20
Sorry I just saw your response! Both onshore and offshore. I'll be primarily completing design work this Summer. It's just unfortunate that the whole internship is remote.
GoodAg20
Thanks for the response! I think this'll go a long way in assuring that I can make the most of it. I graduate in December so I am hoping to secure a return offer. Any tips for when I should begin the conversation on potentially coming back full time? I know it'll ultimately be up to my manager and the business team, but I've been told they hire a large majority of their interns back on full time.
GoodAg20
TXTransplant said:

I don't have anything helpful to add, I'm just really curious what a "virtual internship" is.
Virtual being fully remote because most are still working from home for the company. I probably should have used remote instead of virtual. I guess its just he nature of how the pandemic has impacted the way internships are working this Summer
GoodAg20
one MEEN Ag said:

Its like the Sims, but all the characters are angry when you ask them to turn a valve.
That gave me a good chuckle lol!
GoodAg20
aduey06 said:

I would ask to go to the field and see if you can sit on some facilities construction. I think you would learn more that way than a virtual office internship.
I will definitely inquire about doing some in person work. I think its just the way things are because most of the team that I am on is still working remote.
thepartygoat
AG
I'm on the onshore side.
Learn process flow. Multiple ways to skin a cat but here's a general diagram we share internally with non facilities folk.

Ask if you can review old project AFEs to get an idea on cost estimating. Get familiar with P&IDs. If there are opportunities to attend Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) or HAZOP study try and attend. Learn about safety systems and how your facilities shut down based on different scenarios. Ask if there are any opportunities in to learn IHS Piper (pipeline modeling) or ProMax. We use ProMaX alot to optimize process flow and mitigate hyrdates. Promax has free online training. Ask your direct boss if you can attend one of these if it fits with the schedule. Online courses here:
https://www.bre.com/Training-Sessions.aspx

I'd recommend BRE 101 Oil and Gas, BRE 102 Upstream Facilities, BRE 251 Pipelines, BRE 261Equipment Rating and Sizing, and BRE 203 Hydrate Prevention.

Know the differences and applications between back pressure valves and pressure regulating valves. You'll learn operator competency is an issue. Read this https://kimray.com/training/back-pressure-regulator-vs-pressure-reducing-regulator-whats-difference

Try and ask as many questions you can about design, scheduling projects, cost estimating, risk analysis and process optimization.

m-walker
AG
Chip dip is a project management methodology, not a party appetizer.
LostInLA07
AG
m-walker said:

It's called CPMS now.

On a serious note, it can simultaneously be a fantastic and frustrating company to work for. Manage your career and there are plenty of opportunities. Global mobility is going to be a factor in your career advancement at some point, so be realistic with yourself about that.
coastalaggie
AG
m-walker said:

Man I hadn't heard that term in many a moon
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.