Job Network
Sponsored by

Honoring intern employment?

4,118 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Hhilton82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am pretty sure how I am going to handle this situation but thought I would reach out.
I own a small (7 person) firm. Just before things got weird received an acceptance from an offer I made to an intern (6-month required as part of her degree plan).
I'm in a city that is now under WFH order. Not much I can do with (or for) her if she can't be in direct contact with my staff/me.
She is not from my area so this means she will incur housing expenses.
This will cost my firm ~20k. That is A Lot for my biz.
What to do?
Unfortunate situation for all.

07&09Ag
I think you probably already decided.

That said, as unfortunate as it is, if the company can't afford to honor it you have to do what's best for your company.

I received an email from an academic advisor a couple weeks ago trying to place individuals in similar positions. The students had internships lined up and then the company had to pull them. Whatever you decide, don't drag it out longer than necessary so they can try to start looking elsewhere although I suspect more internships will be cancelled than "honored" when this is all said and done.
gig em 02
Call the school and see if they have any advice.
texagbeliever
I agree with calling the school. See if given the circumstances if a 3 month internship plus an independent study project would count. Then have the conversation with the intern and lay that out.

If you dont think you can guarantee your side of the internship; the right thing to do would be to tell her that and let her know if she wants to start looking for another opportunity she can do soon hard feelings. She may be able to put off the internship by 6 months to a year and just go to school which may be the better option for her.
Macpappy99
AG
We have four interns for this summer. We had our call with the program sponsors in Mays almost two weeks ago. We worked out some alternatives depending on when the situation improves. The scenarios ranged from an abbreviated internship to a case study on our industry (covid-19 impact on healthcare) with intern site visits.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Macpappy99 said:

We have four interns for this summer. We had our call with the program sponsors in Mays almost two weeks ago. We worked out some alternatives depending on when the situation improves. The scenarios ranged from an abbreviated internship to a case study on our industry (covid-19 impact on healthcare) with intern site visits.

Sorry for the thread derail but curious were any of your Mays interns Finance majors? Have a kid there now, thanks.
Macpappy99
AG
We're open to all majors in Mays. Our internship is only in its second year and so far we have had finance, marketing, accounting, and business honors students. The program sponsor is the corporate finance program but we havent been able to get any of those students yet.
Win At Life
AG
My son had not only an internship revoked, but a full time job after graduation. Although there are strict penalties for students who go back on their agreements with companies, there appears to be no mechanism to track or discipline companies that pull offers on students. The company that pulled my son's offer is back recruiting on campus with no notice or reprocusions.

My son brought this to the attention of the career center, but I'm certain nothing will become of it.
TheMasterplan
Win At Life said:

My son had not only an internship revoked, but a full time job after graduation. Although there are strict penalties for students who go back on their agreements with companies, there appears to be no mechanism to track or discipline companies that pull offers on students. The company that pulled my son's offer is back recruiting on campus with no notice or reprocusions.

My son brought this to the attention of the career center, but I'm certain nothing will become of it.
100% agree with this and I was an average GPA student. Hated the lectures from the Department Head about students taking too many interviews and how it was uncouth to back out of an offer if a better one came along.

Texas is an at-will state and I'm sure the industries that recruit from aTm have individuals that agree with that stance. If that is the case, it shouldn't be "looked down upon" to accept a better offer.

PneumAg
This isn't an intern situation, but I made offers to, and received acceptance from, two candidates the first week of March, literally right before all of this garbage started. And we're not talking support staff or unskilled positions. These people are each going to gross over $200k a year. I called both of them and basically just said things are uncertain and do what's best for you, but we've never had an issue bringing in work, and we don't expect to now. I'm going to honor their offers and just trust that my colleagues and I will be able to turn it up a notch and keep us busy through the crunch. We'll see what happens, but things have a way of working themselves out when you work your ass off.
07&09Ag
^^^Just curious what is that ya'll do that a new grad is going to gross over $200k? I must have chosen the wrong profession.
AggieOO
07&09Ag said:

^^^Just curious what is that ya'll do that a new grad is going to gross over $200k? I must have chosen the wrong profession.
where does it say new grad?
topher06
PneumAg said:

This isn't an intern situation, but I made offers to, and received acceptance from, two candidates the first week of March, literally right before all of this garbage started. And we're not talking support staff or unskilled positions. These people are each going to gross over $200k a year. I called both of them and basically just said things are uncertain and do what's best for you, but we've never had an issue bringing in work, and we don't expect to now. I'm going to honor their offers and just trust that my colleagues and I will be able to turn it up a notch and keep us busy through the crunch. We'll see what happens, but things have a way of working themselves out when you work your ass off.

Pneumonia stuff has to be paying pretty well right now
Hhilton82
AG
Thanks guys.
Spoke to TAMU today.
Not surprisingly, I'm one of many.
They are scrambling tying to figure this thing (credit) out too.
Hate having to possibly not employ her. Not over yet tho.
PneumAg
07&09Ag said:

They aren't new grads. They are 6-7 year attorneys.
AgLA06
AG
Maybe offer the option for it to be unpaid if you can pick up the housing allowance.
ravingfans
AG
Does the PPP/CARES act help at all? It is a loan that is forgivable if meet the objectives of payroll headcount...
ABATTBQ11
AG
Depending on what you do, could she work remotely?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.