Arkansas Lowering Academic Standards

6,235 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Trucker 96
TexasAggie81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UA Fayetteville faculty vote to make admissions tests optional for in-state students.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2022/may/05/ua-fayetteville-faculty-vote-to-make-admissions/
TPS Reports
AG
Aren't most colleges, including A&M, test optional now? Is your point that they are voting on it as a permanent change?
aggie93
AG
Arkansas is at 50% In State students and dropping. Their In State students simply can't compete with the students from Texas going there in droves.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
MaxPower
Yeah seems they need to decide what's more important: serving the youth of their state or making money. Either way, I'd be increasing out of state tuition if I were them.
aggie93
AG
MaxPower said:

Yeah seems they need to decide what's more important: serving the youth of their state or making money. Either way, I'd be increasing out of state tuition if I were them.
It's not just money it's academics. Those Texas kids that couldn't get into A&M and Texas often still have great GPA's and SAT scores, especially the ones who get the In State tuition scholarships. Arkansas simply doesn't have a HS system that can remotely compete with Texas at the top end. Bentonville HS is the only large HS in Arkansas that would be among the Top 20 in Texas among the big schools and it would probably be around 10th. They also have very few great private/charter schools. They simply don't produce enough quality students and a lot of that is because outside of NWA there just isn't any real draw for tech workers and high income salaried parents that are involved and tend to have kids that achieve academically at a much higher rate.

Same story in Mississippi (Ole Miss is over 60% OOS), Alabama (U of A also over 60%), Louisiana, and Oklahoma amongst others. Texas has a truly impressive top end of our HS system with so many HUGE HS's that produce so many kids prepared to excel in college due to the hubs of our major cities. Where Texas is failing is we aren't providing enough quality opportunities for those kids because we are wanting to provide more opportunities for kids who aren't as prepared from lower rated HS's.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
Just visited MS State based on recommendations of some friends whose kids went there. Not as many Texas kids there as Ole Miss. Very nice people. Great culture. It reminded me a lot of A&M back in the day. They will throw a lot of scholarship money at you. Engineering facilities do not compare to A&M. Job opportunities seem much more regional. Overall I had a very positive impression of the place.
APHIS AG
Having earned my Masters at U of A, their undergraduate program is not that good. Every year, the Governor awards full scholarships to the top HS graduates in the State but they must attend State schools.

Most of these scholarship "winners" leave the State to attend out of State schools knowing that U Of A academics is really low.

This was in 1989 and I see that the standards are still dropping.
Buck Turgidson
aggie93 said:

Where Texas is failing is we aren't providing enough quality opportunities for those kids because we are wanting to provide more opportunities for kids who aren't as prepared from lower rated HS's.
I hate to say it (REALLY HATE TO SAY IT), but the state needs to help Tech move up the ladder. A&M is too big - we could easily peel off 10k kids and send them over to Tech. On top of that, the fact that a lot of good Texas students opt for out-of-state schools like Arky, OU/Bama/Ole Miss over Tech means the state is doing something wrong. Tech has some work to do to overcome their stigma as a third tier party school, even though that's just what a lot of these out-of-state schools are too.
Trucker 96
Agree 10000%. I know West Tx isn't for everyone, but it's crazy to see TT fall so far below the others with the kids in our north dallas burb. The main/few kids we know that go there are the kids where passing the STAR and graduating were a consistent question mark. TT also way over-indexes in the kind of kids that wash out and end up home after a year of partying, at least in our neighborhood. At this point I think it's a self-perpetuating issue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.