Daughter accepted at TAMU Galveston- transfer question

5,414 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Skittles512
AgED
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter was excepted tonight to Texas A&M at Galveston. Her preferred Major is on the main campus. Am I reading this correctly that she needs to complete one semester at Galveston and then can register for classes on main campus starting in the spring provided that she's excepted to her major?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
That is mostly correct, many majors require 12 credit hours to be completed or 1 semester before a change of major can be processed. It will depend on which major she's trying to get into and what their requirements are. For more detailed information please contact one of our Aggieland Prospective Student Center advisors at 979-458-0950
AgED
AG
Thank you!
AgED
AG
One more question - she direct applied to Galveston and main campus. Will she hear back from both or once she hears back from the first that is her admissions decision?

TAMUAdmissions
AG
She will receive an admission offer from at least one or the other. Since Texas A&M Galveston is a branch campus, she would just apply for a change of major, rather than a transfer if she decided to move to the College Station campus, given she's accepted into her major.
mwaggie
If your student applied to both, your student will hear back from BOTH TAMU and TAMU Galveston. Two of my sons (now an Aggie grad and grad student at Mays and the other a CS junior) applied to both locations and heard back from both. My twins have done the same. They have already heard back from TAMU Galveston but not main campus.
Sea Speed
AG
TAMUG is AWESOME. I recommend giving it a year of possible. I understand not having your major so I'm not lobbyinf to switch that, but simply to try and stay at TAMUG longer. I went to school late so maybe its tough missing out on freshman year at main campus but the campus experience and life in and around glaveston is so cool.
mwaggie
Update-One of my twins was admitted to main campus yesterday. He heard back from both main and Galveston. My other twin has been accepted to Galveston as well but is still waiting to hear from main campus.
BBRex
AG
I spent a few years at the Galveston campus before finishing my degree in College Station. I would have been satisfied graduating from the Galveston campus, but I decided to change my major.

One thing to consider, depending on her major, she's likely to have much smaller class sizes in Galveston, which can be helpful for students getting accustomed to college classes.
gomerschlep
AG
Former Sea Aggie here, I would send my children there. For sure.
Skittles512
My son applied to majors at both CS and Galveston. He would prefer to be in CS. He was admitted to Galveston, but we're still waiting on CS.

We're worried about housing filling up. If we accept Galveston, does that automatically take him out of consideration for CS? Or will he still hear from CS campus, regardless?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.