Keith Swim

13,701 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schmellba99
12th Man Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, why do students avoid him these days? I had him back in the early 90's and enjoyed his class. He was brash for sure, but I thought the class was great. Has he just turned into a grumpy old man over the years?
BeastmodeAg
AG
Had him in 2013, dude was a jerk and just seemed to try to always make the class harder then it needed to be.
Wicked Good Ag
12th Man Ag said:

So, why do students avoid him these days? I had him back in the early 90's and enjoyed his class. He was brash for sure, but I thought the class was great. Has he just turned into a grumpy old man over the years?
you didnt have him in the early 90s at least mpt for what he known for nowadays FYI

he didnt start teaching the 209/211 until after 2002
12th Man Ag
AG
He doesn't teach Business Law? That was the class I had him for in the early 90's. Seems to me that is still the class he is teaching.
Wicked Good Ag
he teaches MGMT 209./211...it was just 211 back then

Tought in early 90s by Glasgow/ Larson/ Bierman

Then Rodriguez and Larson

then Swim/Larson

then just Swim but that was early 2000's at a minimum

he may have taught something else but t wasnt 211 back then
12th Man Ag
AG
OK. It was Business Law, but I don't remember the number.
cledus6150
AG
I had him for 209 I think, it was the class for the non- business majors. I believe that was 2008 or 2009, thought he taught very fair, his class literally taught you to read every word of a question and every word of an answer as well.
TJaggie14
AG
Keith Swim is a good Ag.

I took his 209 class back round 2012. His class was tough, but I found his lectures entertaining. His first couple of exams were very tough, but after the Q drop deadline he would relax his tests/grading. I also remember him doing a lot of charity & toy drives for kids.

He hates those study/testing companies like 4.0 and Go and Tutor John. The rumor was that back in the day some student snuck into his office when he was not there and took an answer key to his exam and sold it to one of those tutoring companies. He was livid, and he did not want to see those colored printed notes outside his class.

I have nothing but respect for the man. I actually ended up skipping his class one week & forgetting that there was an exam that day. I emailed him asking if I could take the exam on his make up day & he asked why I missed, so I was honest with him and told him: "an Aggie doesn't lie and the truth is I forgot there was an exam this week and I should have paid more attention to my syllabus but I didn't. The only thing I can do is ask for the opportunity, but I understand I put myself in this position and will respect whatever decision you make." He responded back with "See you Thursday night for the make up exam and don't be late."

TLDR; Keith Swim is a good Ag who helped this dumb Ag out.
powerbelly
AG
He is an ass to a lot of students.

For an easy class he likes to rant and rave about tutoring companies too much.
Wicked Good Ag
I can say for certainty that 4.0 never stole anything or has ever used anything of Swim's exams. And the fact that both times he had an issue with cheating and accused in class 4.0 and was later found that they were not a part of either of the cheating situations he never said anything about that to ther class after aluding to it being 4.0 that was a part of it
TXAG 05
AG
I was in his class when the guy rode his bike across the stage causing a distraction during an exam while someone in the back stole a copy and ran out the door. Swim was super pissed
Bert315
AG
TXAG 05 said:

I was in his class when the guy rode his bike across the stage causing a distraction during an exam while someone in the back stole a copy and ran out the door. Swim was super pissed

That was actually a BYX pledge hazing. Person who took the exam actually threw it away right when they walked out the door. Swim was definitely pissed.

The craziest attempt I saw was in 2010ish. He came to his office and someone had climbed into the ceiling in the men's bathroom and dropped down into his office. Turned out the person who did it was trying to get to another profs office but got mixed up on where they were in the ceiling space and dropped into Swims office on accident. They did not find all that out until after the final but at the time they thought the student might have taken photos of his final.

I helped proctor some exams and always found him fair and a good Ag. He definitely was intense but I always found his lectures entertaining. He definitely cared for his students if they showed they cared.
apoglo12
AG
I was a TA in 2009 for Dr. Abelson, a MGMT professor. My office was the one next to Swim's TA's office when the person climbed through the ceiling. It was a mess, investigations from the university, searches of the offices, etc. Swim apparently made that test incredibly hard because of the speculation.

I enjoyed his class when I took it, but it was a lot of work to prepare for his tests. But his lectures were interesting and kept my attention the entire semester!
TXAGFAN
AG
12th Man Ag said:

There was no avoiding him back in the day, he was the only path to a BBA since all roads led through MGMT 211.
AimToMaim 06
AG
he was a jack ass in 2004, his issued at least 3 or 4 different tests per exam to prevent cheating. So each exam was different segments of business cocktail facts per chapters. worthless test giver, great professor but what he taught wasnt on the exam
Motot
AG
Quote:

So, why do students avoid him these days?
Inability to listen and read critically. Used to generally being spoon fed.
honeyhole
My daughter is in Swim's class, she could use some help with the class overall and his office hours aren't conducive to her schedule. Can someone help me with information on 4.0 & Go if it's worth it? And where to find information on the tutoring schedule? TiA
Wicked Good Ag
I tutor the class but haven't really worked with 4.0 in a while. We still push some things for each other but on my own now.

Tutoring starts tomorrow for the exam as I have to get done early this semester. Average is really low usually so I encourage her to try it out for exam one at least for one part. Let me know if I can help in any way. I do have a sign up but I don't think I can post in here but she can contact me at nine seven nine 777 nine seven five five
Deats99
AG
He has been teaching management since at least the mid 90's, I had him in 1996-1997 I believe for MGMT 209 and 210.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Tookieclothespin
AG
i had him in the '00s. He had an attitude that people should fail and I imagine it hasn't gotten any better.

My grade in his class was the lowest I got (for the most amount of studying btw) in all of my business minor classes. I considered myself lucky when I got a B.

If you go to every class, take good notes, and study for something as simple as business law it shouldn't be that hard to pass a test. it should be basic memorization of facts and a moderate amount of application. he tried very hard to make failure a possibility and trip you up at every turn....just like the lawyer he is.

FJB
powerbelly
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

i had him in the '00s. He had an attitude that people should fail and I imagine it hasn't gotten any better.

My grade in his class was the lowest I got (for the most amount of studying btw) in all of my business minor classes. I considered myself lucky when I got a B.

If you go to every class, take good notes, and study for something as simple as business law it shouldn't be that hard to pass a test. it should be basic memorization of facts and a moderate amount of application. he tried very hard to make failure a possibility and trip you up at every turn....just like the lawyer he is.

That is literally all you have to do to get an A. It was the easiest business class I had that semester.
Tookieclothespin
AG
powerbelly said:

Tookieclothespin said:

That is literally all you have to do to get an A. It was the easiest business class I had that semester.
Well aren't you special. Should we all clap for you now?

I got A's in every other business minor class. Finance and Accounting should have been harder than his class.
FJB
powerbelly
AG
Tookieclothespin said:

powerbelly said:

Tookieclothespin said:

Well aren't you special. Should we all clap for you now?

I got A's in every other business minor class. Finance and Accounting should have been harder than his class.
Nah, business minor classes are just easier than the major versions. It is the main reason the business minor is worthless.

His class is pretty easy. I can't imagine people struggling if they read and go to class.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's a good guy. Certainly can come across as an ass.

That said, his course was way more difficult than it needed to be IMO and I understand why some take that class with another professor. His lectures were interesting but the exams were absolutely brutal.

For those saying his class was easy, when did y'all take his course? It must have been a lot easier before 2013 because I don't know anyone who thought it was easy.
Bert315
AG
Took his course in 2007 and his exams have always been tough. I ended up helping proctor exams for him for a few years afterwards and was there the week a student dropped into the wrong office trying to cheat on another class.

Swim is a good man and Ag. He can come off a little rough but he really is passionate about his students and if you met with him with the true intention of learning and not just to try and get your grade bumped he was always willing.
texasaggie2015
AG
Bert315 said:

Swim is a good man and Ag.
I do agree with this. Like I said, he's a good guy.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Today is the first time I have scrolled through the academic forum, and I just noticed this tread. Keith Swim was my professor for MGMT 211: Business Law in fall 2013. His exams were tough, but I managed to get a B in that class.
Pos_Vibes_Neg_Results
AG
Aaaaaand Swim retires.
texasaggie2015
AG
Some of y'all are a lot smarter than me or maybe I'm just a dummy
Ezra Brooks
Ezra Brooks
AG
Keith Swim Retires
aTm2004
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

He's a good guy. Certainly can come across as an ass.

That said, his course was way more difficult than it needed to be IMO and I understand why some take that class with another professor. His lectures were interesting but the exams were absolutely brutal.

For those saying his class was easy, when did y'all take his course? It must have been a lot easier before 2013 because I don't know anyone who thought it was easy.

Took it in 2003. Didn't think it was easy, but also didn't think it was hard. If you attended class and read, you'd do fine. Can't remember if I got an A or B in it.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
I enjoyed Swim's class (business minor). Usually it was a lot of story time and taking an occasional note. Tests were way too hyped by everyone, including him. I found his shenanigans entertaining.

For anyone coming from even a semi-challenging degree the business minor classes were cake. For those coming from a kinesiology, psychology, or elementary education major those were the hardest classes they had - certainly made us engineering majors laugh.
BeastmodeAg
AG
Hope he enjoys his retirement, I still am thankful for 4.0 and go for getting me through that class.
KaneIsAble
AG
Had him in 2001; literally gave us a test on 9-12 when no one with a brain was paying attention to something like his class after something with a global impact was occurring. Thought that was a d-bag move; could've pushed it to the next class.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.