529 and taxes

3,532 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by cavscout96
GoAgs92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I got a tax form from my kids school showing tuition payments

I also got a 529 tax form from distributions.

Do I reduce the tuition expense by the 529 distributions, not sure what to do?
hdrydor
AG
I'm not a tax expert, but I've done a lot of tax returns as a VITA volunteer, and my understanding is that if your 529 withdrawals were for valid educational expenses, then you owe nothing to taxes on your withdrawals.
mosdefn14
AG
The most common problem I see with 529 distributions is timing of the withdrawal. Many people won't get around to doing their expense tally until January for Fall expenses. So you get a form from the school showing education expenses in 2020, but the 1099-q from your broker shows a 2021 withdrawal.

Turbo tax can't process this in "easy" mode. I've heard mixed answers from CPA's about it - grey area supposedly. I strongly recommend taking 529 distributions in the same calendar/tax year as the expense.
cavscout96
AG
I take care of this by budgeting for the year.

I project what I will spend, take my withdrawal and then disburse it as needed. If I'm short, Its not by much and I cover it out of pocket,

The chances of being over are practically nil as you can nearly always find something that meets the QEE classification.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.