General Engineering Student wants to Transfer into Mays?

2,864 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by NewOldAg
Smatson1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags! I am asking this question for my daughter ('23 general engineering). She applied to Computer Science and just received news that she was not accepted into that major (insert devastation here). She has a 3.3 and I understand that the cut off is way higher than that - that's not what I'm asking about. After much thought and discussion and visiting with an advisor, she believes that she would really enjoy MIS (which happens to be what my degree is in - so she knows a little about what that involves). However, based on the requirements to change majors into Mays (a 3.5 with less than 60 hours), she does not meet the requirements, and because of her AP and dual credit hours, she currently has 57 hours on her transcript. She was told by an advisor that she would be denied entrance into Mays but could appeal that decision, but also that "appeals are never accepted" (not even just "rarely", but "never"). She needs to make a decision ASAP so she can choose her classes for the Fall - but is unsure if it's worth it to go through the appeals process, if appeals are truly "never (or even rarely) accepted". I guess I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has gone through the appeals process - or anyone who has experience with this. What are her odds of getting into Mays?
SwissAgg
AG
I am certainly not an expert about transferring into Mays, but could she take a semester to focus on getting grades up and then transferring in?
Smatson1989
AG
Thank you for responding! The problem is - because she was counseled to take a couple of dual credit courses in high school (by the high school teachers/counselors) - and you can't choose NOT to transfer DC hours when you have a transcript sent (she took Pol Sci and an English at the community college and needed the transcript sent for those classes), she has an additional 7 hours of DC that count toward her 3.3 GPA (hours she certainly would NOT have taken as DC in high school had we known then what we know now, but alas, we can't undo it now). Also, at her Freshman Student Conference last year, she was counseled to take AP credit for 13 hours. So with these 20 extra hours, the total hours on her TAMU transcript (while misleading) is 57. To get into Mays Business School, you need a 3.5 with 60 hours or less (and they don't seem to budge on that number including ALL hours transferred in). Soooo... she has 3 hours she can take to pull a 3.3 up to a 3.5, which is not mathematically possible .
BusAg
AG
Do you happen to know what job field or fields she is considering after she graduates? Perhaps there could be a different major that might help her still achieve those professional goals.
Duncan Idaho
Can she rescind a few of the ap hours?

She isnt the first kid I have heard of that got burned by being overly aggressive with AP hours.
histag10
AG
You cant rescind them. They must be counted if they are on your transcript (excess hours and financial aid- both state and federal government track these numbers)
Duncan Idaho
That is messed up.

If I we're going to UHD and only needed one year of chemistry, I'd probably be ok with using my AP credit to bypass first year chemistry. But if I was going to aTm and going to major in chemistry, I would probably want to take it, so I can be on a level footing when i take organic.
histag10
AG
No one says you cant retake it. You can absolutely take it and then the grade would count towards your gpa. Or you can see if what you took transfers in as a non majors class, and it will then basically be an elective. But if you took it, it will still be counted towards overall hours.
NewOldAg
AG
I transferred into Mays. Unfortunately, the 60 hr number is a hard cap. However, the 3.5 number is just a safe benchmark not a bright line. At least, that's how I remember it. It has been several years.

As frustrating as it is to go through that process, Texas A&M has a ton of students and they set up the system to move you through as quickly as possible to make room for others.

This may not be a popular thought for your daughter or your family, but have she considered transferring to another school for Computer Science? If that is really what she wants to study, and who can blame her it's a great degree to have. Maybe she should value that over getting a degree at A&M.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.