Current Academic Situation

1,889 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Lone Stranger
PWarner03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Really confused about my situation right now. I received a D in Accounting 210 over the summer and that was 100% my fault and my lack of dedication to that class. But this semester I stayed sick with virus like symptoms all semester and was in a state of mind thinking "I would rather just give up and try to get my feet under me then try again." Well I received C's along with one D being in my capstone class this fall semester. I haven't received a dismissal letter or e-mail yet though. I went to the doctor after school was over for a completely different reason, I thought, and it turns out the diagnosis is what was causing my sickness all semester long. I guess what I'm trying to say is has anyone been in this position where you just don't know what else to do? I feel like I was flying high my first few years at A&M but recently it's just taken it's toll on me and I feel like I'm completely beaten down with no idea what my next move is?
CrottyKid
AG
C's and D's aren't great, but they'll do. Just keep working and graduate. What's your major? Unless you are in a major where you basically have to go to grad school to get a job, just keep up the C's and graduate and get a job.
PWarner03
AG
I'm an Ag Systems Management major, I guess I'm just worried about getting the D in the capstone class for my major and worried I'll get kicked out.
CrottyKid
AG
According to the website:
A grade of C or better is required for all Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) courses; ACCT 209, AGSM 301, CHEM 119, , ECON 202, MATH 140, MATH 142 and PHYS 201, or equivalents and senior capstone courses AGSM 439 and AGSM 440.

So you'll need a C or better in the capstone to graduate. My advice is to just retake the class and do better this time. Go talk to an undergrad adviser about this.
Big Al 1992
AG
Go talk to the professor directly - sometimes they are willing to work with you.
Centerpole90
AG
AGSM '90 here.

I know I'm a lifetime removed from you today, but unless the Earth has shifted for the worse in that Dept, you're in a good place to have staff that will work with you. Like Big Al said, reach out to your prof about that class - even if you have to take it again there is nothing bad that can come from making contact.

On a bigger scale... I'd suggest picking your favorite AGEN/AGSM professor, walking in their office, and opening your heart to them; admit your deficiencies, take responsibility for your struggles and failures, but if you have it - demonstrate your commitment to finish the ride. I can tell you that doing exactly that in Dr. Calvin Parnell's office over 30 years ago changed my life - I hope that your situation can take a similar turn.
Lone Stranger
Several things for you to think about;

-It sounds like you expect to go on scho pro and are expecting "the official letter'. That will detail what you need to do next semester to stay in the program. This isn't a catastrophe....that department traditionally has quite a few of students on and off scho pro for various reasons but they typically do really well once they get the degree in hand.

-If you are in Capstone that means you are supposed to be at max 3 semesters from graduation. You are much too close to the piece of paper and have spent too much time and money to say "screw it" (in my opinion). So take Capstone over next fall now that you know you have to go to class and turn things in. Buckle down and don't make the same mistakes in Capstone II this next semester (or at least put in some effort for your team so they don't throw you under the bus at the end of the 2nd semester.

-That major is very proud of its former students "problem solving" ability. Think about how you've learned to attack problems, come up with multiple solutions and evaluate their pros and cons.

Centerpole....the retired marine colonel in charge of Ag Systems today is a Parnell prodigy. Although he isn't the pushover Parnell could be when Parnell liked you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.