TAMUAdmissions: How does auto admit impact College of Engineering holistic review re

3,019 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ag94whoop
r12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son is a junior this year and just got his May SAT score back with a 1360 (Math 710 / Verbal 650). He is expecting to be in the top 15% of his class . . . so missing auto admit by 10 pts on Verbal. He is desiring admission into the College of Engineering and trying to decide if retaking the SAT in June is worth it.

With the new holistic review process would the 10 pts and auto admission into the university matter?

Advice?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Engineering will evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with his application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc. It is very competitive. Ten points increase on the test will help some but would not make a huge difference. Hopefully he would increase his score by more than that. As you mentioned, Engineering does a holistic review of all applicants so they will consider him on all the above factors.
r12
AG
Thank you TAMUAdmissions. This is helpful. My question is a bit more specific. Does auto admit into the university impact the College of Engineering admissions process assuming all else is equal?

For example, if there are 2 candidates with virtually equal SAT scores and class rank ... and similar leadership criteria (realize this is theoretical ) ... if one candidate met the criteria for auto admit into the university and the other did not, would this impacr the admissions process?

My son may take the SAT again just to see if he can improve ... but trying to decide if he should retake ONLY to achieve auto admit into the university.
TAMUAdmissions
AG
Automatic admission to the university does not guarantee admission to Engineering. The processes are separate. There is no preference given to a student who qualifies for automatic admission to the university when it comes to placement into the College of Engineering; however, academics are part of the holistic review. The higher achieving students both inside and outside the classroom are the most competitive for a seat in Engineering.
r12
AG
Thank you TAMUAdmissions
HECUBUS
ag94whoop
AG
My son is in the application process currently and I was under the impression that there was an essay for engineering but we can't find it anywhere in the A&M admissions site anymore nor on ApplyTexas.

Did the essay get removed? Or are we just missing it?
TAMUAdmissions
AG
There will be a question within the application if he chooses Engineering as his major.
ag94whoop
AG
Thanks
He found it and will be submitting in next week or so
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.