Engineering grads: what was the most difficult class at A&M?

7,973 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
texag86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mine was Abstract Algebra (more difficult than Diff Eq or thermodynamics)
shihitemuslim
AG
I think the early engineering classes can be rough. like Statics on ELEN214. Phys 208 and 228 had moderate difficulties. The problem with these exams is that there are four sheets for every exam and a question at the top. For the first fifteen minutes nothing is written and this is an open book exam so you are ****ting in your pants. Then the light comes on.
HECUBUS
AG
Quantum Electronics, no contest.
Ag03 CQE
AG
I took ENGR 111/112 concurrently. The content wasn't difficult but the workload was insane.
aggiedaniel06
AG
EE Major, class of '06 here...
ELEN 322 with some Asian prof named Chen or something like that. Midterm was 50% of your grade and cumulative final the other 50%. Material was hard as hell and if you bombed one test you basically fail the class.
Jack Klompus
AG
MEEN 363
CivilAg10
AG
quote:
MEEN 363

+1 as far as classes I actually took
SidetrackAg
AG
ECEN 322 with huff was pretty tough
TheMasterplan
ECEN215 with Stiblinski. I went through that entire class without understanding anything about circuits. I just hoped that some of the test problems were similar to what I did in homework (memorized them) and did enough to get enough partial credit where I'd pass or get a D. Sucked because I studied with others that actually understood it and they couldn't even explain it to me. Maybe if I went back with a different mindset things would be different but it just never clicked.

Before that, it was PHYS 208 obviously.

Oh well, still got the degree and a job and passed the FE exam.
SwigAg11
AG
NUEN 329 - it's the numerical methods class for nuclear engineers. I took it 1 of only 2 years that this one professor taught it. He treated a 4 hour course like it was 9 hours with the workload he gave. My class bonded well as we all would work on the projects together all night into the morning hours for several days straight each week.

It didn't help that our other hardest classes on our curriculum were scheduled for that semester as well.
Kate Beckett
AG
ECEN 322 with Michalski

Close second is a new ECEN 489 class called intro to large scale biodata analysis. It was terminal programming and I hated programming. He said it was ony going to be 40-50 percent of the class, when in fact it was 80%. Called us stupid when we didn't get it, was condescending towards most, accused you of full blown cheating if one line of code is the same as the other person...it was ridiculous. Had a 22 page exam. not multiple choice. He only offers it as a grad course now...thank goodness.
Ridge14
quote:
NUEN 329 - it's the numerical methods class for nuclear engineers. I took it 1 of only 2 years that this one professor taught it. He treated a 4 hour course like it was 9 hours with the workload he gave. My class bonded well as we all would work on the projects together all night into the morning hours for several days straight each week.

It didn't help that our other hardest classes on our curriculum were scheduled for that semester as well.
MEEN 357 with Arroyave was exactly like this as well. Our project was to program a rover to land on mars (integrate acceleration, fire rockets, deploy parachute, safely land, etc.) all in matlab and then race the other teams on a course. Felt like a lot of teams, with the exception of the teams that had one kid with a programming background, struggled and put in crazy hours.
CrossBowAg99
AG
quote:
I took ENGR 111/112 concurrently. The content wasn't difficult but the workload was insane.
Me to. Yawn. Nothing compared to mowing yards...
CrossBowAg99
AG
I took Phys 208 three times but made and A on the final try.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
MEEN 363 (I'm not going to say how many times I took it)
PHYS 208 (I Q-dropped that crap and took it at UNT one summer while working near home)
ELEN 215 (Dropped the first one, barely passed with Styblinski the second time)
bigbass1170
AG
quote:
MEEN 357 with Arroyave was exactly like this as well. Our project was to program a rover to land on mars (integrate acceleration, fire rockets, deploy parachute, safely land, etc.) all in matlab and then race the other teams on a course. Felt like a lot of teams, with the exception of the teams that had one kid with a programming background, struggled and put in crazy hours.
I cringe whenever I see the number 357. That class/prof scarred me for life.
Chipotlemonger
AG
My team won the 357 class Rover challenge.

I still hated the course.

Also annoying to win with our group of 3 against the entire rest of the class, only to have my grade bumped to only an 89 from 86. Arroyave did not budge to get me an A. This, in spite of my confidence in our team's rover and voting at the time of the finals to make the project winner breakdown different (before the race was ran)

What I voted for:
1st place - 5 points on grade
2nd - 0
3rd - 0

What we got (I still don't know why a bunch of engineer chose this completed useless one...odds are way against any gpa improvement when there are no plus/minus grades at A&M)
1st place - 3 points
2nd place - 2 points
3rd place - 1 point (big whoopedy doo)
GarlandAg2012
AG
In my 357 class race we had to simulate a race car. I really enjoyed the class but I had Dr. Duggleby who was great, enthusiastic, and very helpful. I also had some programming background which helped.

My hardest class was either MEEN 368 (Solid Mechanics) or MEEN 431 (Advanced System Dynamics and Controls)...I think. I can't remember all the electives I took.
light_bulb
AG
As far as hardest overall classes I ever took here: PHYS 331/332

Imagine having to learn linear algebra, differential equations, partial differential equations, complex analysis, and fourier analysis condensed into a two semester course sequence taught by a professor who specializes in string theory. That was game-set-match for many of the aspiring physics majors.

I really can't answer this question with an engineering course since all of my junior level physics classes completely desensitized me to the concept of difficulty. Made getting through Nuclear Engineering much easier.
MattAg98
AG
Its been 20 years and Phys 208 still gives me nightmares.
wbt5845
AG
The hardest class for me was whatever the senior level ME heat transfer class was. I've purged the number from my memory.
Chipotlemonger
AG
421? Thermofluids?
Ridge14
quote:
421? Thermofluids?
Glad I had Ranjan in his last semester teaching at A&M for this, he gave out way more A's than he otherwise would have. He also cancelled class the last day for everyone to go to the chicken.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think that's who I had in spring of 2013. Don't believe it was his last semester.

Or was it the other dude? There were two guys who taught it. I actually think I had the other guy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.