Disney says widower waived his right to sue the park by

4,991 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Fenrir
RikkiTikkaTagem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
signing up for a free trial of Disney+….

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/14/business/disney-plus-wrongful-death-lawsuit/index.html

Quote:

Court documents show that the company is trying to get the $50,000 lawsuit dismissed because the plaintiff, Jeffrey Piccolo, signed up for a one-month trial of the streaming service Disney+ in 2019, which requires trial users to arbitrate all disputes with the company.

Amazing. Wonder what else I have signed away.
annie88
AG
I hope this doesn't hold up.

Buying a streaming service and what happened at the park are not even related.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FDEMS TRUMP 2024.
Fight Fight Fight.
BigRobSA
Lawyers
RoadkillBBQ
As if I needed another reason to dislike Disney.
El Gallo Blanco
This applies to our country/culture as well imo...

BQ78
AG
Don't read the Apple terms if you've ever signed them!

Oh and give the guy $100K in arbitration if this dirty trick works but it shouldn't Disney+ is not a ride in the park if you will.
aggiehawg
AG
annie88 said:

Plus it is a wrongful death case, personal injury, a tort. Courts do not look kindly on claimed waivers or agreeing to arbitration in advance of an injury. That would the definition of an adhesion contract.
Tea Party
BigRobSA said:

Lawyers
Learn about the Texas Nationalist Movement
https://tnm.me
Fenrir
Considering the guy is asking for $50k it seems the best cost to the business would have been to pay it. They'll spend more on their lawyers fighting this and it's not like you're going to have a stream of people killing themselves for $50k for their families as some sort of precedent.
Hungry Ojos
They're only seeking $50k for a wrongful death??? And Disney wouldn't just settle for that?????
Fenrir
Hungry Ojos said:

They're only seeking $50k for a wrongful death??? And Disney wouldn't just settle for that?????
Seriously, that's the part I don't understand. They aren't asking for exorbitant amounts of money at all. And then to argue that they waived their right to a jury trial because they bought a ticket and used a D+ free trial? They're evil morons.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Hungry Ojos said:

Insurance carrier likely telling them not to pay for whatever reason.
Fenrir
I'd wager that Disney is self-insured.
Tramp96
Hungry Ojos said:

Disney is evil. I refuse to go back to their parks or ever take their cruise.

Now I do admit we have Disney+, but I can't remember the last time I watched anything on it (maybe the Obi Wan series?) If I could talk my wife into it, I would end that sub as well. I'm not ending my ESPN+ sub, so I will remain a hypocrite to some degree.
aggiehawg
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Might be a comorbidity issue? Florida is a modified comparative negligence state, meaning if a jury finds a plaintiff 50+% liable for their own injury, no recovery for the remaining percentage of damages.
YellAg2004
AG
Quote:

Piccolo is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 pursuant to Florida's Wrongful Death Act, as well as damages for mental pain and suffering, loss of companionship and protection, loss of income and medical and funeral expenses.

I'm guessing it's just really sloppy writing by the author as further down in the article it has this statement. I'm assuming there must be something in Florida law that has $50k as the dividing line between how certain cases are adjudicated, but I'll gladly defer to the resident legal eagles.
Fenrir
YellAg2004 said:

Quote:

Piccolo is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 pursuant to Florida's Wrongful Death Act, as well as damages for mental pain and suffering, loss of companionship and protection, loss of income and medical and funeral expenses.

I'm guessing it's just really sloppy writing by the author as further down in the article it has this statement. I'm assuming there must be something in Florida law that has $50k as the dividing line between how certain cases are adjudicated, but I'll gladly defer to the resident legal eagles.
The $50k definitely seems low for a wrongful death suit but that's how it was written. I think you may be right about it being sloppy writing.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
El Gallo Blanco said:

This applies to our country/culture as well imo...

i marvel at how smaet our founding fathers were and agree we are totally screwed. we are no longer a moral nation.
hedge
What a load of crap, I would call up Buzzbee and get him on retainer
richardag
aggiehawg said:

annie88 said:

Plus it is a wrongful death case, personal injury, a tort. Courts do not look kindly on claimed waivers or agreeing to arbitration in advance of an injury. That would the definition of an adhesion contract.
IANAL
I took one course in corporate law during the summer @ UTD. One lesson regarded a company requiring people to sign terms and conditions and other documents. These documents can't waive the company's legal responsibilities. Not sure if this applies in this circumstance.
ETA
quote from the article
  • The waiter guaranteed the couple that certain foods could be made allergen-free, which the two confirmed "several more times," according to the lawsuit. She alsoordered a vegan fritter, scallops, onion rings and a vegan shepherd's pie.

Although some of the food delivered lacked allergen-free flags, the waiter again assured them it was allergen free, but after dinner, Tangsuan, 42, went shopping in the Disney Springs area and began "suffering from a severe acute allergic reaction," according to the lawsuit.
Disney is being a total ******* considering they are ultimately responsible for her death.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
P.H. Dexippus
AG
If they are only asking for $50k, there are probably some bad case facts we don't know about.

ETA- "in excess of $50,000". It's probably to plead out of expedited case handling rules, plead into court jurisdiction or something along those lines. They will undoubtedly ask the jury (or arbitrator) for millions.
TexasAggie73
AG
The other issue is that they are blaming what she ate on the restaurant, Raglan Road, which is owned and operated by Great Irish Pubs Florida. An Irish company.

Disney doesn't own or operate the restaurant.
Saxsoon
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

Disney spent 50k for the time the lawyers charged writing that **** up
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Moral High Horse
Wow! Disney+ terms of service? That's a bold strategy, Cotton.
e=mc2
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

If I'm the family, I'm now asking for a few million.
aggiehawg
AG
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

annie88 said:

IANAL
I took one course in corporate law during the summer @ UTD. One lesson regarded a company requiring people to sign terms and conditions and other documents. These documents can't waive the company's legal responsibilities. Not sure if this applies in this circumstance.
ETA
quote from the article
  • The waiter guaranteed the couple that certain foods could be made allergen-free, which the two confirmed "several more times," according to the lawsuit. She alsoordered a vegan fritter, scallops, onion rings and a vegan shepherd's pie.

Although some of the food delivered lacked allergen-free flags, the waiter again assured them it was allergen free, but after dinner, Tangsuan, 42, went shopping in the Disney Springs area and began "suffering from a severe acute allergic reaction," according to the lawsuit.
Disney is being a total ******* considering they are ultimately responsible for her death.
Placing a big sign reading Caveat Emptor on a restaurant might not be the best marketing campaign.
one safe place
BigRobSA said:

Lawyers
Those who make a career out of *******izing the truth will eventually not know right from wrong. Then they become judges.
TexasAggie73
AG
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

annie88 said:

IANAL
ETA
quote from the article

How is Disney responsible since they don't own or operate the business?
CS78
Reason #1043 to never sign up for free trials.

South Park was ahead of their time. AGAIN.

AtticusMatlock
They are asking for an amount exceeding $50,000. That amount is the threshold needed to establish jurisdiction.

The Disney+ arbitration agreement defense is stupid and will be laughed out of court.

There may have been some sort of arbitration agreement when the tickets were purchased for park access which may be more applicable.
Muy
AG
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

signing up for a free trial of Disney+….

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/14/business/disney-plus-wrongful-death-lawsuit/index.html

Quote:

Court documents show that the company is trying to get the $50,000 lawsuit dismissed because the plaintiff, Jeffrey Piccolo, signed up for a one-month trial of the streaming service Disney+ in 2019, which requires trial users to arbitrate all disputes with the company.

Amazing. Wonder what else I have signed away.

We're not far away from the Southpark episode where we find out that the Apple terms we agree to be connected to a Human Centipede.
Muy
AG
CS78 said:

Reason #1043 to never sign up for free trials.

South Park was ahead of their time. AGAIN.

Sorry missed this.
PlaneCrashGuy
BuddysBud
AG
Moral High Horse said:

Wow! Disney+ terms of service? That's a bold strategy, Cotton.

It's better than that. They are using an expired free one month trial of Disney + from years ago to try to get out of it.

If the terms of the free trial never expire, perhaps one could argue that the free trial doesn't expire.

There's the class action lawsuit from this. Everyone who signed up for a free trial of Disney + should have all paid membership fees refunded. Since this idea is just as ridiculous as Disney claiming that the expired free trial contract applies to a wrongful death at their park, it might work.

Even if Disney loses they would pay a lot more than $50,000 to fight the lawsuit.
bmks270
AG
Shocked the Disney lawyers were permitted to use this strategy.

Part of Disney brand is customer service and experience. To use this legal tactic in this case is opposite that.

This is just an absurd request by Disney legal council.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.