Seeking help for a WWII vet that has passed

2,827 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SPI-FlatsCatter 84
Ag_of_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Friends at a local pd contacted me this morning in refetence to a WW2 vet that passed yesterday. He has no living relatives, and their police association is trying to raise money for either a cremation or burial.

Are their any veterans groups that may be able to help? Even if it's not financial assistance, it would be nice to see more than a piper and a few officers at a man who fought for and was wounded in service to his country with the USMC.

If there is someone who can point them in the right direction, I will connect you to the detective via his city email. I dont have permission to post his name yet( I'm told they're wrapping up the case, but I do have permission to post this), and staff if you need to speak with me about legitimacy I will put you in direct contact with the detective as well.

Thanks and gig'em
BQ_90
AG
i would post this on military board
Legal Custodian
AG
As well as any other board you have access to. Outdoors, Military, General. Just curious what general area will this take place? DFW, Houston, Austin?
Schneider Electric
Legal Custodian said:

As well as any other board you have access to. Outdoors, Military, General. Just curious what general area will this take place? DFW, Houston, Austin?

this
Ag_of_08
AG
In the Beaumont area, I believe the remains will be intered in Houston at the national cemetary
one safe place
You, or someone in the police department, might try posting the details on Facebook (or other social media) or doing a search for groups pertaining to veterans, WWII, the branch of the military in which this man served, etc. A pretty broad audience can be reached that way once others start sharing the information and it can be done fairly quickly. Despite all its shortcomings, Facebook is a pretty good platform to get the word out and to target specific interests. Contacting the local VFW might help. I have seen instances where they attended with a bugler to play Taps and to accompany the coffin (not as pallbearers).

Last fall I attended a funeral of a Marine recovered from Tarawa who was in my Dad's company. As far as I know, the details were written up in his hometown newspaper and via Facebook. I think around 60 people attended.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Good bull
Ag_of_08
AG
I'm working with them, the one that contacted me has access to their PA Facebook page, and I'm trying to help them get it all shared. I'll be able to share his name later today when the case is formally wrapped up.

This was just a place I knew would care and have reach.
Schneider Electric
Good Bull

WWII vets are almost gone.
God Bless them
Ag_of_08
AG
It's really sad how few there are left. I wish I had known more about this man, I'd have gone back and tried to interview him.

We believe he was wounded in or around the guadalcanal campaign based on his service dates and what records we have.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Rusty Surrette gobbles up this stuff and his big reach
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Friends at a local pd contacted me this morning in refetence to a WW2 vet that passed yesterday. He has no living relatives, and their police association is trying to raise money for either a cremation or burial.
Maybe I am naive, but are we saying a WW2 vet would not have his funeral service and expenses paid for by Uncle Sam?
Ag_of_08
AG
I'm not familiar with him?
Ag_of_08
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Maybe I am naive, but are we saying a WW2 vet would not have his funeral service and expenses paid for by Uncle Sam?

The VA will contribute 250 to a cremation or preparation for burial. The national cemetery will provide the actual interment. The only thing not funded is the actual cremation or burial prep.

The funeral home there has offered to do the cremation for 1500, or a burial preparation for 2500. The man heading the effort is telling me they have about 500' raised from the association donating and a couple of officers who made contributions. His goal is to try and get the rest secured quickly so they can make arrangements
10andBOUNCE
AG
makes me sick to my stomach
fightingfarmer09
Ag_of_08 said:

Are their any veterans groups that may be able to help? Even if it's not financial assistance, it would be nice to see more than a piper and a few officers at a man who fought for and was wounded in service to his country with the USMC.

If there is someone who can point them in the right direction, I will connect you to the detective via his city email. I dont have permission to post his name yet( I'm told they're wrapping up the case, but I do have permission to post this), and staff if you need to speak with me about legitimacy I will put you in direct contact with the detective as well.

Thanks and gig'em

Drop an email to Michael Berry. He is from the area and this is the exact thing he loves to support. I would even call in to the show.
DTP02
AG
Ag_of_08 said:

Thanks and gig'em

Contact the VFW closest to where he lived.
Ag_of_08
AG
We likely disagree on a lot of thing, but I promise we're 100% in agreement on that. I was appalled when we started looking Into it this morning. One of the reasons I came to texags, I knew y'all might have some avenues for them
DogCo84
AG
The Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery regularly puts out calls for attendees to honor unaccompanied veterans at the time of their interment. The response is always impressive and often quite moving. My guess is that other veteran cemeteries have similar programs/pages.

Facebook Page: Central Texas State Veterans Cemetery

Ag_of_08
AG
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=798095899140200

If you need to contact the detective helping arrange it, the email is jcourts@cityofvidor.com
Ag_of_08
AG
Incredibly grateful to good people( including a poster here) that got what we needed funded in under 12hrs! Mr. Cochran, or "pop" as his caretakers said he wanted to be called, would be grateful, I have no doubt, and a little embarrassed people had gone to the trouble for him.
Independence H-D
Forwarded to a buddy with the patriot guard.
APHIS AG
This may help you out.

www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/ftsamhouston.asp
gonemaroon
AG
Try reaching out to Crenshaw or Cruz? Seems like the government would be of help?
Ag_of_08
AG
We raised about 2700 as of the last time i spoke with the detective! All of the minimal burial and transport costs are covered now, and the generosity of those who helped, and those who wish to come is greatly appreciated.

The plan looks to be sometime after Wednesday ( I will know soon) there will be a local service in vidor with at least a piper and a memorial before he's transfered to Houston, with the service there at the national cemetery . I know several here have interest, and I will make sure to update next week as we know more.
Schneider Electric
Good to see
BCSWguru
Glad this got taken care of. I've heard so many bad stories about people just getting left at funeral homes.
91AggieLawyer
AG
https://www.tapsforveterans.org/

In case you want Taps played.
Ag_of_08
AG
I think they provide a bugler at the cemetery, but we will contact them for the local service. He'll also have a piper at both, the detective that's playing it travels nationally and pipes funerals all over. I believe he was in DC with the Ft Worth pipe band recently.

Have to tell y'all, and I know everyone involved in it feels the same way, watching people come out in force to see this happen makes me extremely proud, and has restored some of my faith in humanity being, on the whole, good. I wish I could have known the man in person, I've spoken to several who knew him over the last few days, and all of them genuinely loved him. I hope, when the day comes, people will speak even a tiny fraction as good about me.
IslanderAg04
Great thread. Thank you for sharing.
TA-OP
Great thread. I know I likely won't be able to make a trip to Houston soon, but maybe post a follow-up with internment details so that others may be able.
Ag_of_08
AG
We do not know when the burial in Houston will be yet, we are still waiting on confirmation of eligibility and a time schedule( his records where destroyed in one of the fires, all we have is a certificate of service the VA had and the funeral home is awaiting word back ). I will update when/if I have more.

There will be a funeral service at Vidor Memorial Funeral Home Friday at 2pm for Mr. Cochran.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Thx
AG
https://www.memorialofvidor.com/obituaries/reginal-cochran

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.