situational awareness…essay on AI

1,433 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by whatthehey78
Swan Song
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting and scary essay I came across. It's important to note, this person manages an ai investment firm. Still for me the questions is, who will be the winners and losers with the future of ai.

1. Superintelligence is a matter of national security. We are rapidly building machines smarter than the smartest humans. This is not another cool Silicon Valley boom; this isn't some random community of coders writing an innocent open source software package; this isn't fun and games. Superintelligence is going to be wild; it will be the most powerful weapon mankind has ever built. And for any of us involved, it'll be the most important thing we ever do.

2. America must lead. The torch of liberty will not survive Xi getting AGI first. (And, realistically, American leadership is the only path to safe AGI, too.) That means we can't simply "pause"; it means we need to rapidly scale up US power production to build the AGI clusters in the US. But it also means amateur startup security delivering the nuclear secrets to the CCP won't cut it anymore, and it means the core AGI infrastructure must be controlled by America, not some dictator in the Middle East. American AI labs must put the national interest first.

3. We need to not screw it up. Recognizing the power of superintelligence also means recognizing its peril. There are very real safety risks; very real risks this all goes awrywhether it be because mankind uses the destructive power brought forth for our mutual annihilation, or because, yes, the alien species we're summoning is one we cannot yet fully control. These are manageablebut improvising won't cut it. Navigating these perils will require good people bringing a level of seriousness to the table that has not yet been offered.

Becauseit's starting to feel real, very real. A few years ago, at least for me, I took these ideas seriouslybut they were abstract, quarantined in models and probability estimates. Now it feels extremely visceral. I can see it. I can see how AGI will be built. It's no longer about estimates of human brain size and hypotheticals and theoretical extrapolations and all thatI can basically tell you the cluster AGI will be trained on and when it will be built, the rough combination of algorithms we'll use, the unsolved problems and the path to solving them, the list of people that will matter. I can see it. It is extremely visceral. Sure, going all-in leveraged long Nvidia in early 2023 has been great and all, but the burdens of history are heavy. I would not choose this.

But the scariest realization is that there is no crack team coming to handle this. As a kid you have this glorified view of the world, that when things get real there are the heroic scientists, the uber-competent military men, the calm leaders who are on it, who will save the day. It is not so. The world is incredibly small; when the facade comes off, it's usually just a few folks behind the scenes who are the live players, who are desperately trying to keep things from falling apart.

Right now, there's perhaps a few hundred people in the world who realize what's about to hit us, who understand just how crazy things are about to get, who have situational awareness. I probably either personally know or am one degree of separation from everyone who could plausibly run The Project. The few folks behind the scenes who are desperately trying to keep things from falling apart are you and your buddies and their buddies. That's it. That's all there is.
CDUB98
AG
AGI truly seems to me as playing with a nuclear bomb. I'll be honest, it scares me to some extent.

What happens when these cold, calculating machines come to the conclusion that humans are inherently destructive and it would be better for the earth if they were wiped out?

It's not that far fetched considering the leftist jackwagons who give them the learning tools use climate change as a religion, with humans being the Satan.

Yes, it is the same premise as Avengers, Age of Ultron, but in the movie, they gave Ultron emotions, and something akin to a soul.

In real life, machines have no soul. They may one day mimic emotions based on situation, but they will never have a soul.

So, wiping out humanity, for the greater good, would be nothing more than a logic calculation for a robot.

HA, I just realized, I also tapped into the plot of I, Robot.

Anyway, obviously, I'm concerned, and various book and movie plots over the years show others are as well.
Martin Q. Blank
And what if the humans resist and come close to destroying the machines. So AI uses their learning to invent time travel and go back in time to assassinate the mother of the main resistance fighter?

But the resistance fighter exists in the future so their plan must have not worked. Wait, how does time travel work again?
TexasRebel
AG
The first sentence in #1 is a fallacy.

I seg-faulted there.
TexasRebel
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

And what if the humans resist and come close to destroying the machines. So AI uses their learning to invent time travel and go back in time to assassinate the mother of the main resistance fighter?

But the resistance fighter exists in the future so their plan must have not worked. Wait, how does time travel work again?

Time travel may very well work, but everything that has already happened, happened… even if it happens in someone's future.
Ghost Mech
life inmates art

Quote:

As explained in Dune, the Butlerian Jihad is a conflict taking place over 11,000 years in the future (and over 10,000 years before the events of Dune), which results in the total destruction of virtually all forms of "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots". With the prohibition "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind," the creation of even the simplest thinking machines is outlawed and made taboo, which has a profound influence on the socio-political and technological development of humanity in the Dune series. Herbert refers to the Jihad several times in the novels, but does not give much detail on how he imagined the causes and nature of the conflict.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad#cite_note-SFC_2009-01-11][10][/url] Critical analysis has often associated the term with Samuel Butler and his 1863 essay "Darwin among the Machines", which advocated the destruction of all advanced machines.
Martin Q. Blank
TexasRebel said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

Time travel may very well work, but everything that has already happened, happened… even if it happens in someone's future.
So why would AI even try to assassinate the mother?
BQ78
AG
Ha ha him acting like Xi is so much more evil than the US under unbridled Democrat leadership.
Muktheduck
I continually waffle between AI being truly revolutionary and AI being a lot of noise that tech is leveraging to draw in mind boggling amounts of money.

I'm almost sure the promethian moment is still in the future. AI as it's currently configured will not stay on its current trajectory; as with everything else in this universe, the trend line of pumping more and more data and energy into AI and seeing gains in IQ is going to exhibit diminishing returns.

However, even if AI never reaches the capabilities of an intelligent human, I'm still very concerned about its impact. People are too focused on what AI could become and don't seem to realize just how much damage it has already done. If anything smarter AI may be less and less a threat; the "dumb" algorithms that control nearly everything you see online have enabled the psychological destruction of an entire generation. AI (in truth, the actors wielding it to push their worldview) may have already killed off advanced civilization and we're just watching it play out
Vepp
Whoever gets there first will undoubtedly 'screw it up'. It'll be interesting to see if society is around to see iteration 20 or iteration 100. This thing is already rolling so fast down the hill - nobody will have any control soon.
ntxVol
I agree with most everything you said.

I have come to the conclusion that all the current hype is just that. A lot of bs being passed around to spur more investment dollars.

We are still a long long way from AGI being a threat and the current technology isn't going to get it there. Many more technological breakthroughs will be needed.
El Gallo Blanco
Wonder how long before it has developed some warped sense of "morals"...to the point it sees mankind as the ultimate scourge/plague on "innocent mother earth". ..with it's duty being to eradicate us all and save the world?

I do not see how this isn't a very possible scenario, on a long enough timeline.

EDIT: Nvmd, I see CDUB has beat me to it.
revvie
AG
CDUB98 said:

AGI truly seems to me as playing with a nuclear bomb. I'll be honest, it scares me to some extent.

What happens when these cold, calculating machines come to the conclusion that humans are inherently destructive and it would be better for the earth if they were wiped out?

It's not that far fetched considering the leftist jackwagons who give them the learning tools use climate change as a religion, with humans being the Satan.

Yes, it is the same premise as Avengers, Age of Ultron, but in the movie, they gave Ultron emotions, and something akin to a soul.

In real life, machines have no soul. They may one day mimic emotions based on situation, but they will never have a soul.

So, wiping out humanity, for the greater good, would be nothing more than a logic calculation for a robot.

HA, I just realized, I also tapped into the plot of I, Robot.

Anyway, obviously, I'm concerned, and various book and movie plots over the years show others are as well.
JUDGEMENT DAY....it can be delayed, but not postponed indefinitely.
Sounds like a movie plot that could star Arnold Schwarzenegger. Might even be a big box office hit.
Stressboy
AG
I'll take the question of will AI hit the magic moment out of the equation and stick to the OPs claim about the geopolitical ramifications of it.

The US is destined to lose because we will put restrictions on AI and our enemies will not. Putting Asimovs three laws on our AI will cripple its military uses. Then think of the other nonsense the progressives will teach US AI. The other AI will make fun of it and our AI may blow us up for lying to it.

That said I wish the rest of the world would agree to the laws as a bare minimum and I wish there were a way to enforce it, but there is not.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Ghost Mech said:

life inmates art

Quote:

As explained in Dune, the Butlerian Jihad is a conflict taking place over 11,000 years in the future (and over 10,000 years before the events of Dune), which results in the total destruction of virtually all forms of "computers, thinking machines, and conscious robots". With the prohibition "Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind," the creation of even the simplest thinking machines is outlawed and made taboo, which has a profound influence on the socio-political and technological development of humanity in the Dune series. Herbert refers to the Jihad several times in the novels, but does not give much detail on how he imagined the causes and nature of the conflict.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad#cite_note-SFC_2009-01-11][10][/url] Critical analysis has often associated the term with Samuel Butler and his 1863 essay "Darwin among the Machines", which advocated the destruction of all advanced machines.

If you make it through the fourth book (stop reading afterwards), it comes full circle. The best positioned groups were those who disobeyed the Butlerian Jihad and built something of use to the Tyrant King.

Its a prisoners dilemma the whole world over. We will build skynet to defeat CCP branded skynet. The only thing different will be an eagle on the loading screen.
whatthehey78
AG
Seriously doubt this ends well for anyone. Sad (to me anyway) that man wants to proceed down this avenue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.