Austin Homeless Camp Map

3,324 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Tree Hugger
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.nomadik.ai/

A local austinite has created a homeless encampment map with AI software.

The guys names is Jamie Hammonds and he's been reporting on the homeless situation for a few years now. He was once homeless himself.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/08/video-shows-austins-violet-crown-trail-trashed-by-homeless-camps/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/austin-man-homeless-maps-camps-springing-city-bring-light-crisis

https://twitter.com/DocumentingATX

There's a lot of camps in austin.
torrid
AG
I'm pretty sure you don't need AI, just your nose.
Kraft Punk
What a wonderful town full of cultural diversity
techno-ag
AG
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
PA24
AG
A lot of folks reading this thread living paycheck to paycheck. One hiccup, one betrayal from being in a homeless camp.

93MarineHorn
What's both funny and sad is that the situation has gotten a lot better from it's peak during the Covid years. I'll never forgive the morons that lifted the camping ban which sent up a beacon to every drug addict in America to move here and live under a bridge.
Ghost Mech
PA24 said:

A lot of folks reading this thread living paycheck to paycheck. One hiccup, one betrayal from being in a homeless camp.

Unlikely.....there are plenty of steps down from being temporarily broke/unemployeed to being homeless, especially for former students of one of the better universities in the country.

Not saying it can't happen to Ags but 99% of folks posting on F16 have infinitely more resources than the average person who barely graduated from high school/never did and don't have networks to rely on for a safety net.
Tree Hugger
AG
93MarineHorn said:

What's both funny and sad is that the situation has gotten a lot better from it's peak during the Covid years. I'll never forgive the morons that lifted the camping ban which sent up a beacon to every drug addict in America to move here and live under a bridge.

Oregon's decriminalization of.drug use and possession turned on the beacon up here.

I'm on a couple of local FB pages and every time someone posts a pic of a new "camp" they are chastised for not having compassion for the unhoused/uanderhoused population. If they post a video of a tweaker doing methy things, they are chastised for making fun of them and taking videos without that person's permission.

I'm not sure how easy if would be to map the homeless, some of them move around a lot, some only move if forced out.
CDUB98
AG
**** 'em.

They voted for it.
Agthatbuilds
PA24 said:

Lol. Most of Austin's homeless have a drug, alcohol or mental health problem. There are a few who are just out of luck but they are also the ones most likely to get out of their situation.

I see it every day. I've seen a dude pleasuring himself, a lady without any clothes on, a guy tripping on meth so bad I had to call the ems. I had a contractor almost kill a guy by running over him. My contractor was simply driving and two guys were fighting, and one pushed the other into traffic.

I passed by numerous fires started in camps. There's a hiking trail with a little pond the fam used to go down but we can no longer access because there's a camp.

I've seen the mountains of trash in our woods. I'm harassed at nearly every stop light in austin proper. I've even had a what looked like a 10 year old girl pester me in a parking lot for money.

I had to kick a lady off a vacant house because we were tearing it down. It was an airbnb but she kept trying to camp in the back porch. She left behind her drug paraphernalia.

What the city leadership has done to austin is sickening. They don't give a **** about the common and decent taxpayers citizens of austin. They are sitting on 500 million dollars specifically to address the homeless problem and refuse to touch it.

And, to be clear, by some estimates we have 10000 or so homeless. Others put the number lower. But, if we stay with the 10k amout, we've got $50000 per person to fix the problem. And they say they want more. It's absolutely absurd.
93MarineHorn
Tree Hugger said:

93MarineHorn said:

Oregon's decriminalization of.drug use and possession turned on the beacon up here.

I'm on a couple of local FB pages and every time someone posts a pic of a new "camp" they are chastised for not having compassion for the unhoused/uanderhoused population. If they post a video of a tweaker doing methy things, they are chastised for making fun of them and taking videos without that person's permission.

I'm not sure how easy if would be to map the homeless, some of them move around a lot, some only move if forced out.
Fortunately, more and more people in Austin have lost their patience for the homeless. They're sick of having all the petty crime associated with it or they've finally realized that it's not compassionate to let a drug addict live in a tent on the side of the road.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Fortunately, more and more people in Austin have lost their patience for the homeless. They're sick of having all the petty crime associated with it or they've finally realized that it's not compassionate to just let a drug addict live in a tent on the side of the road.
But they're still pulling that D lever, so it doesn't matter how much it rustles their jimmies.
Agthatbuilds
Yep. I will say that austin did pass prop A, iirc, and the city has practically ignored it.
Tree Hugger
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Fortunately, more and more people in Austin have lost their patience for the homeless. They're sick of having all the petty crime associated with it or they've finally realized that it's not compassionate to just let a drug addict live in a tent on the side of the road.
But they're still pulling that D lever, so it doesn't matter how much it rustles their jimmies.

Yep, I commented on one of the local posts and someone evidently looked at my profile, saw the obvious TX ties and saying that no one should listen to me since I was obviously MAGA just because I was from TX.

So apparently, not being happy with people camping in the park (which is posted as "no camping" ) where I walk my dog every morning makes me MAGA. The people in the cities here act like all Republicans are evil pretty much the same way F16 thinks most Dems are morons
AgTrip
This is the best video! One store owner combating homelessness!

Take a whiff..take a schmell!

edit: nsfw language
MJ20/20
AG
can you post a link to the fb page? I'd like to participate.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

pretty much the same way F16 thinks most Dems are morons
Well, c'mon, they do prove themselves everyday.
Agthatbuilds
I had a job near this store. He has an empty lot next to his building and is just blaring opera. Still tons of vagrants hanging around. Seen a few drug deals happen. They don't particularly try and hide it.

I'll never step foot in that store.

That video nails it though. Both the fed up austinite and the privileged and pampered homeless person.
AgTrip
Agthatbuilds said:

I had a job near this store. He has an empty lot next to his building and is just blaring opera. Still tons of vagrants hanging around. Seen a few drug deals happen. They don't particularly try and hide it.

I'll never step foot in that store.
I'd shop there every day if he was doing that to deter them!
Agthatbuilds
Not when you see what you have to wade through to get in the door. Sucks for the business owner
bobbranco
AG
I thought the Austin homeless are predominantly tsips who dropped out of school.
93MarineHorn
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Yes, of course they're still voting D, but at least they're not completely immune to some self-reflection and change.
Agthatbuilds
PA24 said:

This comment still gets in my craw. There was a guy cutting trees down because the trees were cursed. A homeowner tried to approach him but he went after them with a machete. Do you know what would happen to be me if, as a builder, I cut down a tree without permission? I'd be fined nearly out of business.

There was a teenage put in critical care a couple weeks ago because a homeless dude randomly attacked him with a machete. There's many stories of business owners or their staff, particularly women, being accosted when opening or closing or having their patrons harassed.

Some of us might be a breathe away from being in financial straits, but, I doubt many of us are a step away from assaulting random people or pleasuring ourselves in public.
Agthatbuilds
Probably the same percentage as the amount of strippers trying to pay for law school.
aginlakeway
AG
Not a lot of issues in the Lakeway area ...
Agthatbuilds
Or Westlake. Or rollingwood. Or even round rock and georgetown.

Seems to be an austin problem.
Tree Hugger
AG
MJ20/20 said:

can you post a link to the fb page? I'd like to participate.

"Lane County Caught on Camera"

Another favorite is "On this episode of **** I find in Eugene"

(**** = the s word with a ! instead of an I)

Enjoy
MJ20/20
AG
You're doing the lords work.

Now it's my turn.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Do you know what would happen to be me if, as a builder, I cut down a tree without permission? I'd be fined nearly out of business.
A little silt runoff from a construction site runs into the street? REDTAG, SHUT IT DOWN, CALL THE ENVIRONMENTAL INSPECTOR!! FINE THE CONTRACTOR!!

Homeless camp on public land with open fires, dudes shooting up heroin, women prostituting themselves for a hit of fentanyl, human feces strewn about running into the Barton Creek Watershed? Nothing we can do.

PA24
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

PA24 said:

This comment still gets in my crawl. There was a guy cutting trees down because the trees were cursed. A homeowner tried to approach him but he went after them with a machete. Do you know what would happen to be me if, as a builder, I cut down a tree without permission? I'd be fined nearly out of business.

There was a teenage put in critical care a couple weeks ago because a homeless dude randomly attacked him with a machete. There's many stories of business owners or their staff, particularly women, being accosted when opening or closing or having their patrons harassed.

Some of us might be a breathe away from being in financial straits, but, I doubt many of us are a step away from assaulting random people or pleasuring ourselves in public.
..........we have quite a few people that are living paycheck to paycheck, and so deep in personal debt that it wouldn't take much to push them into the streets.

I am not speaking of druggies, mental ill, or criminals but folk with poor planning skills.

Personal debt is at an all time high, our government is in 33 trillion and counting. Not a matter of if but when and for those that are neck high in debt and just paying on the interest....not good.

aginlakeway
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Or Westlake. Or rollingwood. Or even round rock and georgetown.

Seems to be an austin problem.

Yep.
Agthatbuilds
Then, respectfully, you don't grasp the homeless problem in austin, nor the reason for this thread.
American Hardwood
AG
From the Fox article linked in the OP:

Quote:

Austin allocated $79 million to the homeless crisis in next year's budget, including $4.8 million for cleaning up encampments.

That's on par with the $179 million the city put toward combating homelessness from fiscal year 2019 to 2021, but questions have swirled about how efficiently those tax dollars are being used.
Quote:

Council Member Mackenzie Kelly requested an audit of money spent on homelessness in the past few years, and the city couldn't provide a full picture.

"There is no complete inventory of agreements and associated spending for the City's homelessness assistance efforts, and we could not determine the number of these agreements due to limitations with available data," the city auditor wrote in a report last September.

This is so absurd and so typical of a liberal run city. Spend a gazillion dollars with no results and no accountability. Never vote democrat, they are a cancer.
PA24
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Then, respectfully, you don't grasp the homeless problem in austin, nor the reason for this thread.

Druggies and mentally ill have always been a homeless problem. We have all seen those types.

I was simply pointing out that it is not that difficult to become homeless but very difficult to get off the streets once you have lost everything.

Kudos to the former homeless guy that you referenced in your post.

aginlakeway
AG
It is very difficult to get back to normal once you're homeless. I know first hand.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.