Watching Narcos series

1,837 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by InfantryAg
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All I can think is how brilliant Escobar was and how much better of a job he'd do running our economy. If you can run a multi-billion $ global business while simultaneously avoiding the DEA and Colombian Government, while killing your enemies and having to move to a new location everyday, you could easily make the US economy better.
FrioAg 00
AG
The most competent people NEVER go into politics of government work. It's just not worth it.
Eso si, Que es
Muy
AG
Plus you get real world experience fast when everyone wants to kill you before you get big enough.
Ag13
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

The most competent people NEVER go into politics of government work. It's just not worth it.
Well Pablo did try to get into the government...
Muy
AG
Ag13 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Ironically that's when things went bad.
Ag13
AG
Muy said:

Ag13 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Narcos is a fantastic series. When you are finished with it go right into Narcos: Mexico
Eso si, Que es
Muy said:

If you can run a multi-billion $ global business while simultaneously avoiding the FBI, DOJ, and US Government, having to move to a new location everyday, you could easily make the US economy better.
reminds me of someone, can't put my finger on it.

ETA: things also went bad for him when he tried to get into government
Muy
AG
Ag13 said:

Muy said:

Ag13 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

Narcos is a fantastic series. When you are finished with it go right into Narcos: Mexico

This has been the best part of having Covid this week. And the meme of Escobar on the swing is exactly where I am after binging some yesterday.
Urban Ag
AG
Muy said:

All I can think is how brilliant Escobar was and how much better of a job he'd do running our economy. If you can run a multi-billion $ global business while simultaneously avoiding the DEA and Columbian Government, while killing your enemies and having to move to a new location everyday, you could easily make the US economy better.
This is a topic that I am a history nerd on. Was fascinated by the Columbian drug war when I was a kid in the 80's. Read a lot of books on it since. And yes, I absolutely loved the first three season of Narcos.

I disagree though on Escobar's brilliance. I think he was brilliant in how he formed the Medellin Cartel but once it was the largest criminal empire on the globe and he was CEO, he ran it straight in to the ground. Almost every conflict the cartel had were fights he purposely picked. He could have kept the peace with the Cali Cartel, not blown up an airliner, and not funded a (real) insurrection. Among other things. Also should have stayed out off politics.

He might still be alive and one of the richest men in the world had he stayed in his lane.
Urban Ag
AG
Ag13 said:

Muy said:

Ag13 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

We just finished Griselda. It's not as good as Narcos but it's fun. Has the same vibe but without narration.
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
He had to avoid the Colombian government as well.

Colombia. We ain't talking about stupid fishing shirts.
Muy
AG
Urban Ag said:

Muy said:

All I can think is how brilliant Escobar was and how much better of a job he'd do running our economy. If you can run a multi-billion $ global business while simultaneously avoiding the DEA and Columbian Government, while killing your enemies and having to move to a new location everyday, you could easily make the US economy better.
This is a topic that I am a history nerd on. Was fascinated by the Columbian drug war when I was a kid in the 80's. Read a lot of books on it since. And yes, I absolutely loved the first three season of Narcos.

I disagree though on Escobar's brilliance. I think he was brilliant in how he formed the Medellin Cartel but once it was the largest criminal empire on the globe and he was CEO, he ran it straight in to the ground. Almost every conflict the cartel had were fights he purposely picked. He could have kept the peace with the Cali Cartel, not blown up an airliner, and not funded a (real) insurrection. Among other things. Also should have stayed out off politics.

He might still be alive and one of the richest men in the world had he stayed in his lane.

I honestly knew way less about the timeline and connections of the cartel with the communists and what not until I watched this. Totally agree that his ego got the best of him when he had it all in the palm of his hands, just speaking of his brilliance in the business vision and operational strategies he implemented.
Muy
AG
fredfredunderscorefred said:

I edited that… I hope.
Street Fighter
AG
COLOMBIA

not

COLUMBIA
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
Muy said:

I edited that… I hope.

Nope. It's just a pet peeve of mine apparently. The MDE airport has an entire section of mugs and tshirts dedicated to the "It's Colombia not Columbia" theme. Somewhat of a pet peeve of mine I guess that I hate seeing on a college message board. Leave the idiocy for the masses.
Urban Ag
AG
No I get it. I loved that scene in S1 when he meets the Chilean guy that makes the cocaine and he says to Pablo "you know what this stuff will go for in Bogota?" And Pablo responds "who cares, you know what it will go or in Miami?"

As to the commies, that's another fun historical fact. It took years for the DEA to understand that Reagan didn't give two sh*** about the drugs, we were in Columbia to counter the communists.

pfo
AG
I'm not so sure drug cartels aren't running our government.

If I was a South American or Mexican drug kingpin, I would want an open border with rich America I could traffic drugs, drug pushers, enforcers and money across with no problem.
Yordaddy
AG
Narcos Mexico is awesome. Have recently gotten into learning about the cartels and it is WILD.

For a followup book, I HIGHLY recommend El Narco by Ioan Grillo.
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
Urban Ag said:

Ag13 said:

Muy said:

Ag13 said:

FrioAg 00 said:

We just finished Griselda. It's not as good as Narcos but it's fun. Has the same vibe but without narration.

Narcos while fictionalized at least didn't *******ize the story. Griselda Netflix is terrible as any type of accurate history. Would be like watching CNN for the news.
Urban Ag
AG
Yes, I am aware. Take it easy. It's just a show on Netflix. I complained a little to my wife that is was off the mark historically and she told me to be quiet and just enjoy it for entertainment. It was good advise and I did.
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
Yordaddy said:

Narcos Mexico is awesome. Have recently gotten into learning about the cartels and it is WILD.

Kilo by Toby Muse is also a good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Kilo-Deadliest-Cocaine-Cartels-Jungles/dp/B07WRF4BSC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=BQ6J5A83VND8&keywords=kilo+tony+muse&qid=1706900776&sprefix=kilo+toby+muse%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1
fredfredunderscorefred
AG
Urban Ag said:

Yes, I am aware. Take it easy. It's just a show on Netflix. I complained a little to my wife that is was off the mark historically and she told me to be quiet and just enjoy it for entertainment. It was good advise and I did.

Oh I still binged it for sure. But its accuracy is terrible. I feel like someone that watches it and thinks they know anything about the real story feels about like a CNN viewer
BaileyAg
AG

Yordaddy said:

Kilo by Tony Muse is also a good read.

https://www.amazon.com/Kilo-Deadliest-Cocaine-Cartels-Jungles/dp/B07WRF4BSC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=BQ6J5A83VND8&keywords=kilo+tony+muse&qid=1706900776&sprefix=kilo+toby+muse%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-1

Just downloaded Kilo
Muy
AG
I fixed it and may God have mercy on my soul.
InfantryAg
AG
Muy said:

All I can think is how brilliant Escobar was and how much better of a job he'd do running our economy. If you can run a multi-billion $ global business while simultaneously avoiding the DEA and Colombian Government, while killing your enemies and having to move to a new location everyday, you could easily make the US economy better.
Escobar has nothing on the complexity and profitability of today's cartels. They're run as good or better than any Nasdaq company and way better margins.

He did lead the way though, a pioneer is modern transnational criminal organizations.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.