Georgia's political maps must be redrawn and create more black majority districts.

2,536 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Tom Kazansky 2012
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

The new maps could result in Georgia Democrats netting an additional U.S. House seat in metro Atlanta next fall likely anchored in the suburbs west of Atlanta and narrowing the large Republican majorities in the state legislature.

Jones said the new maps must create an additional majority-Black Congressional district in metro Atlanta, and several majority-Black state House and Senate districts.

"Today's decision charts a path to correct that grave injustice before the 2024 election cycle," Rahul Garabadu, senior voting rights staff attorney at the ACLU of Georgia, wrote in a statement. "The General Assembly should now move swiftly to enact a remedial map that fairly represents Black voters."
The state is expected to appeal the decision, though in a similar case, the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld rulings ordering GOP-led Alabama to redraw its U.S. House map to add an additional district boosting Black voters.
https://www.wabe.org/breaking-federal-judge-says-georgias-political-maps-must-be-redrawn-for-2024-election/

Kavanagh (!!) and of course Robert's sided with the liberals in the AL case.
SockStilkings
agracer said:

Quote:

The new maps could result in Georgia Democrats netting an additional U.S. House seat in metro Atlanta next fall likely anchored in the suburbs west of Atlanta and narrowing the large Republican majorities in the state legislature.

Jones said the new maps must create an additional majority-Black Congressional district in metro Atlanta, and several majority-Black state House and Senate districts.

"Today's decision charts a path to correct that grave injustice before the 2024 election cycle," Rahul Garabadu, senior voting rights staff attorney at the ACLU of Georgia, wrote in a statement. "The General Assembly should now move swiftly to enact a remedial map that fairly represents Black voters."
The state is expected to appeal the decision, though in a similar case, the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld rulings ordering GOP-led Alabama to redraw its U.S. House map to add an additional district boosting Black voters.
https://www.wabe.org/breaking-federal-judge-says-georgias-political-maps-must-be-redrawn-for-2024-election/

Georgia, where racism is modernized for export to other states.
BonfireNerd04
Affirmative action for elections.
Rapier108
Marc Elias is pretty much behind all of these lawsuits.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
geoag58
AG
Racism pure and simple.
Fight against the dictatorship of the federal bureaucracy!
Ag with kids
AG
agracer said:

Quote:

OK...this ruling says they have to create another majority Black Congressional district...

I do not believe it says that they can't do that by modifying another Dem district to make it majority Black.

Boom. Blacks get their racially biased extra district but DEMS do NOT get an extra district.

BTW, I like how in these cases they just outright argue that unless you put blacks in Democrat controlled districts that they're disenfranchised...because it's not REALLY about blacks...it's about Democrats.
nortex97
AG
Redistricting along racial lines is a pathetic game that both sides are compelled to play by our judiciary. It rarely works out for the communists the way they hope it will, and often a competitive seat becomes safe in the process too.
Owlagdad
Blacks love them some power too.
That's equality.
Ag with kids
AG
nortex97 said:

Redistricting along racial lines is a pathetic game that both sides are compelled to play by our judiciary. It rarely works out for the communists the way they hope it will, and often a competitive seat becomes safe in the process too.
Very true...

And both sides and the courts refuse to acknowledge that THAT outcome actually DOES disenfranchise the voters in that district that had a chance to get their voice heard because either side used to have a chance to win in every election. Once it becomes "safe", that ends for the side on the "non-safe" side.
ABattJudd
AG
How does this not fly in the face of Shaw v. Reno?

AggieHawg, can you clear that up for me?
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
MouthBQ98
AG
It presumes the voting interests of individuals is based upon their races instead of their individual political, social, and economic beliefs by focusing on outcomes in the racial category.

The motive for the decision IS racism, and it uses racist presumptions to rationalize what it does. I thought we were getting away from institutionalization of racism but now we are moving back towards it through tokenism and focusing on race based outcomes and using different expectations based on race as policy and law.
Kansas Kid
nortex97 said:

The redistricting is done entirely on political party grounds. The fact that is ends up along racial lines is only because blacks are largely democrats. Another false claim of racism.

PS. I hate gerrymandering but it is done by both parties as a part of current day politics and modern technology has made them really, really good at it.
samurai_science
Kansas Kid said:

nortex97 said:

The redistricting is done entirely on political party grounds. The fact that is ends up along racial lines is only because blacks are largely democrats. Another false claim of racism.

PS. I hate gerrymandering but it is done by both parties as a part of current day politics and modern technology has made them really, really good at it.
Maroon Dawn
AG
Sad reality is, the VRA allows Democrats to carve out safe seats in red states while in blue states they get to gerrymander for themselves unimpeded

The only way this will end is if black voters wake up and stop voting Dem. In which case Dems will be demanding the end of the VRA immediately
CDUB98
AG
geoag58 said:

Racism pure and simple.
It's (D)ifferent.
zephyr88
AG
I've made this argument before - I truly wonder what politics would look like if we just set everything up on a standard grid system. No jerrymandering. It's all just a game to them.

State of Texas for context.

City of Houston for context.

Kansas Kid
zephyr88 said:

I've made this argument before - I truly wonder what politics would look like if we just set everything up on a standard grid system. No jerrymandering.

The problem with what you propose is you need to have approximately the same number of people in each district to comply with the Constitution.
captkirk
AG
Rapier108 said:

Marc Elias is pretty much behind all of these lawsuits.

Dude should be in prison
zephyr88
AG
Kansas Kid said:

zephyr88 said:

I've made this argument before - I truly wonder what politics would look like if we just set everything up on a standard grid system. No jerrymandering.

The problem with what you propose is you need to have approximately the same number of people in each district to comply with the Constitution.
Totally, understand... That was really to make a point against the jerrymandering that I'm against.

Especially when you get to the local level (see Houston map in my updated post).
BonfireNerd04
Quote:

OK...this ruling says they have to create another majority Black Congressional district...

I do not believe it says that they can't do that by modifying another Dem district to make it majority Black.

Boom. Blacks get their racially biased extra district but DEMS do NOT get an extra district.
Yeah, that's always been allowed. Probably a big reason why White Democrat Representatives are nearly extinct in the South.
BonfireNerd04
Kansas Kid said:

zephyr88 said:

Districting could be done algorithmically, though, e.g., with the Shortest Splitline method.
dustin999
AG
I would be fine with that, but let's keep in mind gerrymandering is one of many tools used by politicians. I seem to have heard that gerrymandering is more of a tool of the right with some quantification of that, while eliminating id checks, longer early voting, bussing voters to polling locations, and the big one (mail in voting) are tools of the left.

So if we actually want to fix it, we need to fix it comprehensively.

And this doesn't even touch the other big issue of campaign financing and all the free air time the DNC gets from hollywood, big tech, and the media.
dustin999
AG
I don't think the federal government should interfere with state elections because I think it's a state issue. I don't want Californians telling Texans how to vote.
No Spin Ag
Gerrymandering: when it goes the way people want, it's great, and when it doesn't, it's a crime against humanity.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
agracer
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Gerrymandering: when it goes the way people want, it's great, and when it doesn't, it's a crime against humanity.

Wash, rinse, repeat.
It's one thing when politicians we elect do it as we all expect it. It's another when a judge appointed for life by a president TELLS the politicians to do it for the sole purpose of race.
Kansas Kid
dustin999 said:

I would be fine with that, but let's keep in mind gerrymandering is one of many tools used by politicians. I seem to have heard that gerrymandering is more of a tool of the right with some quantification of that, while eliminating id checks, longer early voting, bussing voters to polling locations, and the big one (mail in voting) are tools of the left.

So if we actually want to fix it, we need to fix it comprehensively.

And this doesn't even touch the other big issue of campaign financing and all the free air time the DNC gets from hollywood, big tech, and the media.

Gerrymandering is a tool used by both parties. Go see NY where they even decided to violate their own laws to try to gain seats.
doubledog
Gerry meet Mr. Mander.
Tom Kazansky 2012
AG
Gerrymandering is a net benefit to all as it gives a voice to Geographical and cultural concerns of the minority.

All other grid/spit line suggestions ignore those important factors.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.