Exercise is more effective than medicine or therapy for depression

4,579 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Gigem314
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

We reviewed 97 review papers, which involved 1,039 trials and 128,119 participants. We found doing 150 minutes each week of various types of physical activity (such as brisk walking, lifting weights and yoga) significantly reduces depression, anxiety, and psychological distress, compared to usual care (such as medications).

The largest improvements (as self-reported by the participants) were seen in people with depression, HIV, kidney disease, in pregnant and postpartum women, and in healthy individuals, though clear benefits were seen for all populations.

In an absolute shocker to no one who works out all of the time, telling someone to "just go to the gym" is literally the best advice you could ever give to them and that therapy and medicines are far less successful at actually fixing the problems.
DrEvazanPhD
Get off the couch and into the sun.
Nanomachines son
DrEvazanPhD said:

Turns out touching grass and moving around is a good thing for you! Who knew?
BadMoonRisin
AG
I would say "come with me to the gym" is actually slightly better than "just go to the gym".

I've used this once or twice to help a friend of two of mine off the mat. Others have helped me in this way as well.
Pookers
AG
Lifting Weights
C@LAg
touching (gr)ass!
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Doing your own lawn care.
Trajan88
AG
When I go for a run or to the gym, my blood pressure always goes down and consistently stays below hyper tension level
C@LAg
DrEvazanPhD said:

a lot of the transplants to Seattle really cannot handle the cloudy/dark days up here and they get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) but refuse to deal with it except turn to prescription drugs.

as stated, best thing is to get outside, even in the rain and dark, and get exercise, get some of the benefit of the exposure to limited Vit D from the light.

literal case of "get a dog" especially a hyperactive one that needs lots of exercise.

ridiculous how many excuses people will come up with.

samurai_science
DrEvazanPhD said:

Sounds like white supremacy!

93MarineHorn
Big pharma says this is misinformation. Take your meds and stay inside.
agracer
AG
Nanomachines son said:

Quote:

We reviewed 97 review papers, which involved 1,039 trials and 128,119 participants. We found doing 150 minutes each week of various types of physical activity (such as brisk walking, lifting weights and yoga) significantly reduces depression, anxiety, and psychological distress, compared to usual care (such as medications).

The largest improvements (as self-reported by the participants) were seen in people with depression, HIV, kidney disease, in pregnant and postpartum women, and in healthy individuals, though clear benefits were seen for all populations.

In an absolute shocker to no one who works out all of the time, telling someone to "just go to the gym" is literally the best advice you could ever give to them and that therapy and medicines are far less successful at actually fixing the problems.
Keeps covid (and lots of other illness) at bay, reduces heart disease, stroke, heart attacks, Type 2 diabetes (that's the fat people kind).

But Big Pharma doesn't make any money of you exercising and no one is advertising on TV generating billions for ESPN (AND pro/college sports) so no one talks about it.

Big Pharma has done more harm to our country than Big Tobacco.
Hungry Ojos
Went to war on my pecs this morning. Started lifting again a couple weeks ago. I'm turnt up on TRT and freaking jacked to the gills. Been walking around with trousers at half bulge constantly with all this testosterone running through me.
shaynew1
AG
Max effort strangling your buddies
Desert Ag
AG

On second thought.
Tex117
AG
Wrong sub-forum.
BQ78
AG
Take it to the Health and Fitness Board or I'll have to start telling you about crossfit.
C@LAg
BQ78 said:

Take it to the Health and Fitness Board or I'll have to start telling you about crossfit.
you start doing that and I will start talking about keto.
AgGrad99
AG
I 100% support this message. So much of mental health could/would be helped with better diet and exercise.

That said, some of the best athletes in the world still struggle from depression, so it's not a 'one-size fits all' cure.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Republicans should use this for a new health care initiative. Gym memberships are covered by insurance if you can maintain whatever metric of healthiness you guys want to land on.

We should be incentivizing those who cost us less money, not the ones who cost us the most.
txaggieacct85
AG
For someone who has gone through serious deep depression, but am now okay, I agree that exercise helps, but lets not trivialize depression. How many posting here have experienced real depression.

I come to it honestly as my dad experienced a lot of depression. much if it is genetic.
CanyonAg77
AG
So instead of RuPaul's Drag Race, we need kids go get out and run races.
C@LAg
txaggieacct85 said:

For someone who has gone through serious deep depression, but am now okay, I agree that exercise helps, but lets not trivialize depression. How many posting here have experienced real depression.

I come to it honestly as my dad experienced a lot of depression. much if it is genetic.
i come by mine honestly as well:

watching Aggie Football.
C@LAg
CanyonAg77 said:

So instead of RuPaul's Drag Race, we need kids go get out and run races.
in high heels.

to build up their calves.
Medaggie
I work out 3 dys a week for the past 35 years, almost never missing a work out. Anyone who says they are too busy is just not trying and making excuses.

After a workout, I always feel great for the rest of the day. When you are in shape, have a good BMI, you tend to have good mental health. Obesity is a huge factor in mental health and its hard to tell if it is the chicken or the egg.

But we live in America where it is easy to blame someone else and pop a pill.

I am not talking about those with real mental illnesses.
Teslag
AG
Got tired of making excuses and dropped $4k at Rogue on a whim one day and downloaded the Stronglifts app back in April. Still at it and have moved on to a different program now. If I spend money I'll use it.
2girlsdad
I have a friend who's mother is bipolar. My friend is 41 and feels like she may be heading that way (her mom's really starting showing in her 40's). My friend wants to avoid meds, and while she's never worked, naturally really thin, she read how working out is so good for the brain. So, she's been forcing herself to go and has felt an instant benefit from it. If she feels a couple bad days in a row, she goes and instant relief. Now this woman who never wanted to workout is getting up at 5am to hit the gym before work.
tysker
AG
Something very human and primal comes with results from exercise that cannot be replicated. Having that knowledge that you can, if you had to, run that 3-5 or 10 miles, or swim across the lake, or pick up that 80 lb bag of whatever is so empowering.
txaggieacct85
AG
C@LAg said:

txaggieacct85 said:

i come by mine honestly as well:

watching Aggie Football.
well look what ds showed up
txaggieacct85
AG
AgGrad99 said:

I 100% support this message. So much of mental health could/would be helped with better diet and exercise.

That said, some of the best athletes in the world still struggle from depression, so it's not a 'one-size fits all' cure.
let's not trivialize real depression. exercise helps, but isn't the cure all
rocky the dog
AG
Elections are when people find out what politicians stand for, and politicians find out what people will fall for.
- Alfred E. Neuman
Burdizzo
AG
C@LAg said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

a lot of the transplants to Seattle really cannot handle the cloudy/dark days up here and they get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) but refuse to deal with it except turn to prescription drugs.

as stated, best thing is to get outside, even in the rain and dark, and get exercise, get some of the benefit of the exposure to limited Vit D from the light.

literal case of "get a dog" especially a hyperactive one that needs lots of exercise.

ridiculous how many excuses people will come up with.

There is a reason for the correlation of alcoholism and depression with northern latitudes. Sunlight is a major factor in mood.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Medaggie said:

I work out 3 dys a week for the past 35 years, almost never missing a work out. Anyone who says they are too busy is just not trying and making excuses.

After a workout, I always feel great for the rest of the day. When you are in shape, have a good BMI, you tend to have good mental health. Obesity is a huge factor in mental health and its hard to tell if it is the chicken or the egg.

There's also a lot of new cutting-edge research studying gut biomes and their affect on our brains and the development of our bodies and minds, immune system, etc. and its a startling discovery to see what an effect they have on pretty much everything.

The saying "You are what you eat" is more prescient than we once thought.

You can take gut bacteria from a normal BMI person and put it into an obese person and, along with a change in diet, they will start shedding weight. It is thought because the gut microbes can tell your brain what they want to eat and make them tell your brain to crave unhealthy things.

Healthy rats fed gut microbes from depressed people started to show symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Its bonkers.

Here's a great "explain it to me like Im 5" video about it.

Like most things, diet is the key.

txaggieacct85
AG
Medaggie said:

"Obesity is a huge factor in mental health"

I've been through serious depression and I'm not obese AND a lot of people that's are friends and family that have experienced depression... none of them are obese.

Ciboag96
DrEvazanPhD said:

Kids: OK!

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.