A First Look From NASA's New Air Pollution Satellite

4,360 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by GinMan
GinMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The satellite will stay parked above North America and provide scientists with hourly daytime updates on air pollution nationwide. On Thursday, researchers released their first images, which show changes in nitrogen dioxide pollution over the United States over the course of a day.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-shares-first-images-from-us-pollution-monitoring-instrument

Conveniently this won't be used on the entire planet…. Strictly over the USA

https://dnyuz.com/2023/08/24/a-first-look-from-nasas-new-air-pollution-satellite/

doubledog
So shutdown NYC, DC and Richmond. I am ok with that.
agracer
AG
GinMan said:

The satellite will stay parked above North America and provide scientists with hourly daytime updates on air pollution nationwide. On Thursday, researchers released their first images, which show changes in nitrogen dioxide pollution over the United States over the course of a day.

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-shares-first-images-from-us-pollution-monitoring-instrument

Conveniently this won't be used on the entire planet…. Strictly over the USA

https://dnyuz.com/2023/08/24/a-first-look-from-nasas-new-air-pollution-satellite/

When do we get to start paying the Nitrogen Dioxide tax? Will it be rolled into the "carbon tax"...will we need to allow the gov. to tell us how far and how fast we can drive our electric cars to reduce these pollutants?
Rydyn
AG
Wow!

No wonder liberals think that there is a problem. Get out of the big blue cities and spread out a little...Problem solved.
We live on a tax farm as free range humans.
oldcrow91
AG
They have to justify their job. They are going to find pollution and then adjust the colors to find BAD pollution.
Rapier108
They'll say the solution is for everyone to be forced to drive an EV.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
cevans_40
AG
Rydyn said:

Wow!

No wonder liberals think that there is a problem. Get out of the big blue cities and spread out a little...Problem solved.
We should really ban big cities, if we truly cared about pollution
lb3
AG
Compare that map to this pollution population density map:

nortex97
AG
So, nitrogen dioxide is the newest bogeyman? I blame all those EV's powered by coal/gas plants. The only solution is a rapid program to procure/license/construct small modular reactors, and ban EV's.
Cromagnum
AG
When it looks over at China.

MookieBlaylock
AG
You mean weather balloon ready to be shot down when needed?
GinMan
AG
lb3 said:

Looks just like the NYT Covid map AND vaccination map
tk for tu juan
It is also a map of catalytic converter thefts
cbr
AG
Oh my god! Democrats fart nitrogen dioxide!
PeekingDuck
AG
It isn't a new bogeyman. That's what they hit VW for. Problem is that lower NO2 leads to lower efficiencies. Those VW diesels were great before EPA gutted them. On a CO2 basis they couldn't be beat. Not sure if we're supposed to care about local pollutant impacts or global 'pollutant' impacts. I'll just wait for EPA to tell me what to think.
TyHolden
AG
NASA already said this is the reason for higher temperatures right now and the next 3-4 years. Get used to it. Mother Nature trumps climate change all day, every day, twice on Sunday.

Actual Talking Thermos
GinMan said:

lb3 said:

It looks like every map. The stuff happens where the people are. That's also why it's dumb every time people trot out electoral maps and point out that a ton of the land area is red, ignoring that most of the people don't live in those red areas.
fka ftc
When is the lawsuit from Captain Caveman going to court over trademark infringement by the Hunga Tonga-Hunga volcano?

Certainly it has damaged his reputation as I oft confused on whether to blame a natural disaster or a neanderthal comedian for all my dean, burnt up grass.

"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
lb3
AG
GinMan said:

lb3 said:

I bet the pollution map is also a perfect match with a Starbucks density map as well. Send in the EPA to start an investigation!
schmellba99
AG
Actual Talking Thermos said:

GinMan said:

lb3 said:

It looks like every map. The stuff happens where the people are. That's also why it's dumb every time people trot out electoral maps and point out that a ton of the land area is red, ignoring that most of the people don't live in those red areas.
Which is also why the founders specifically designed the electoral method

And it isn't dumb to show, because it clearly shows that large urban areas are dem, also shows that large urban areas have the highest crime, produce the most pollution, etc, etc, etc.

So seems that any regulations should be focused on those areas and not areas that aren't major contributing factors to whatever boogieman is being pushed on us.
Ginormus Ag
AG
I encourage everyone concerned about this is the dark areas to stop breathing.
CS78
Interesting that B/CS doesn't register on the map but other small cities do.
jja79
AG
I see it. Same color as Midland Odessa and Lubbock.
nortex97
AG
These clowns now have me wanting to see Nasa's science budget scaled back. So, so stupid. Go find cool stuff in space, don't lecture me about nitrous oxides.

Reminds me of when Barry Sotero mumbled something about wanting nasa's first mission to be making moslems feel better or something inane like that.
mbrooking
AG
OH, That's bad...

I think we need to shut down from Washington to New York!
G Martin 87
AG
Cromagnum said:

Everyone who is worried about climate change enough to demand crippling legislation in the US needs to be rounded up and shipped off to China and SE Asia. The US is one of the cleanest countries in the world. The problem is Asia, not us.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Cromagnum said:

Everyone who is worried about climate change enough to demand crippling legislation in the US needs to be rounded up and shipped off to China and SE Asia. The US is one of the cleanest countries in the world. The problem is Asia, not us.
No ***** Climate change enthusiasts want the ignorant to believe in the image below.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Tex100
AG
lb3 said:

. This . Are they going to be shocked most pollution is in major metropolitan areas?
redcrayon
AG
doubledog said:

So shutdown NYC, DC and Richmond. I am ok with that.

And Houston, Dallas and San Antonio.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Great. Now park it over China and India.
TriAg2010
AG
NOx is - in fact - bad for human health and industry has been pressed to abate NOx emissions for decades.
TX04Aggie
AG
This is what they used as the basis for expanding the ULEZ in London. Based in Nox and not CO2 or other particles.
C@LAg
Stat Monitor Repairman
Satellite will tell us where to effect climate lockdowns and for how long.

They'll run the NASA climate lockdown map alongside weather and traffic. Give people an idea how they are doing with climate efforts, and whether recreational travel restrictions might get lifted in time for summer vacation.

It'll be like the covid poop test maps but better.
Not Coach Jimbo
Surprised chicago isnt worse... is there some explained reason for that?

Something to woth the lake perhaps?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.