Dem donor Sam Bankman-Fried WON'T face federal charges over donations

4,270 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Pizza
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ex-FTX boss Sam Bankman-Fried WON'T face federal charges over $90M donations to Dems and woke causes
  • The former cryptocurrency mogul has campaign financing charges dropped after having FIVE further charges dropped in June
  • US prosecutors have conceded that their treaty obligations with the Bahamas prevent them from pursuing the charge
  • Authorities believe that Bankman-Fried conducted a scheme to siphon off customers deposits and make illegal donations to mostly Democratic candidates

Former cryptocurrency mogul Sam Bankman-Fried will not face federal charges over campaign finance donations.

Federal prosecutors have announced they were dropping the charge against the former FTX boss, citing treaty obligations with the Bahamas.

He was charged with fraud and campaign finance violations by donating $90 million of customer deposits to political candidates and political action committees.

He was extradited from the Bahamas to the United States, but the Caribbean nation later clarified that they did not intend the extradition to be on campaign charges.
C@LAg
https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2023/07/27/doj-will-not-pursue-campaign-finance-charge-against-sam-bankman-fried/?sh=28bb3b4c1fc8

KEY FACTS
The campaign finance violation charge was among eight counts present in the DOJ's original indictmentwhich also includes wire fraud, securities fraud and money launderingin December.

In a filing late Wednesday addressed to New York federal judge Lewis Kaplan, the DOJ said they had been informed that Bahamas "did not intend to extradite the defendant on the campaign contributions count."

In adherence with the government's "treaty obligations" to the Bahamas, the DOJ informed Kaplan it "does not intend to proceed to trial on the campaign contributions count."

The filing was made hours after Kaplan issued a gag order against the former crypto billionaire, after prosecutors accused him of leaking former girlfriend and business partner Caroline Ellison's personal writings to the New York Times.
CDUB98
AG
I'm truly shocked.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Click bait and misleading since he IS facing federal charges for wire fraud, securities fraud, and money laundering. This is only the campaign finance charge that the Bahamas refused to extradite him for
AgBQ-00
AG
I am so effing tired of the multi-tiered justice system we have right now.
C@LAg
ABATTBQ11 said:

Click bait and misleading since he IS facing federal charges for wire fraud, securities fraud, and money laundering. This is only the campaign finance charge that the Bahamas refused to extradite him for
bull*****

not click bait. limited character available in title

I was very clear of the additional context in the very first sentence of the post.
Gigem314
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

They should have run him for President.
PCC_80
AG
How truly convenient that SBF only contributed to Dems/Libs and those charges related to those illegal contributions gets dropped.

I wonder if those charges would have been dropped if he had given $$$$ to Republicans. My guess is No Way in Hell.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Wonder how much he contributed to politicos in the Bahamas.
Staff - take out the trash.
Harry Stone
AG
it's (d)ifferent
Harry Stone
AG
PCC_80 said:

How truly convenient that SBF only contributed to Dems/Libs and those charges related to those illegal contributions gets dropped.

I wonder if those charges would have been dropped if he had given $$$$ to Republicans. My guess is No Way in Hell.

you know that answer
Not a Bot
AG
No doubt the Bahamas had political pressure put on them to get those charges dropped, maybe even foreign aid dangled as a cudgel. Deep state does not want anyone to know he was using his fraud to fund their coffers. It's all part of the plan.

Would not be shocked if other parts of his case fall apart. He's a rich DNC donor. The laws don't apply to him in the same way.
nortex97
AG
Democrat party is a criminal organization and must be destroyed from holding any offices.
Ag with kids
AG
PCC_80 said:

Did the Democrats have to return the money?
Kansas Kid
In the fashion of someone trying to profit from the political means, he says he funneled a similar amount of donations to the Republicans as well. I think the campaign finance charges would have been the least of his problems.
Waffledynamics
AG
Dude literally admitted to knowing exactly how to donate to and manipulate politicians and American society.

How the hell this guy does not get time is.... of no surprise.
AGHouston11
AG
Wow so now the Bahamas even runs over the US

Of course all by design as the US government wants the campaign finance issues to go away

Meanwhile tell me again what is the former Republican is president facing charges over in New York

mjschiller
AG
This occurs in communist countries. What did you expect.
geoag58
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

So are you happy we won't know the names of the dims who were paid by SBF?

Wonder if those dim's had anything to do with those charges being dropped?
DargelSkout
AG
It seems dumb to me that a one country can tell another country you can't charge him for that. What if it was murder? Could they say you can't charge him for murder, but we'll let you extradite him on assault charges.
Kansas Kid
DargelSkout said:

It seems dumb to me that a one country can tell another country you can't charge him for that. What if it was murder? Could they say you can't charge him for murder, but we'll let you extradite him on assault charges.

If the US hadn't agreed to not charge him on the campaign donation issues, they wouldn't have allowed him to be extradited. The European counties generally require the US to not seek the death penalty on those being charged with murder before they agree to extradition.
Kozmozag
Our democrat statist swamp is undefeated.
agracer
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

So no discovery on money given to democrats.
Ag In Ok
AG
The greater concern is why would a treaty be crafted for a carve out related to campaign donations? Where else do we have such language in treaties? Panama, Luxembourg, Switzerland?
And why stop at campaign donations, what other irrelevant clauses exist as a means to effectively launder money?
Kansas Kid
agracer said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

So no discovery on money given to democrats.

Or money given to Republicans. SBF is on video saying he funneled similar amounts to Republicans via a co worker. He wanted it dark because it didn't fit with his progressive image. Notice how the Republicans aren't making an issue out of this decision to not prosecute? This is the true swamp in action.
Kansas Kid
Ag In Ok said:

The greater concern is why would a treaty be crafted for a carve out related to campaign donations? Where else do we have such language in treaties? Panama, Luxembourg, Switzerland?
And why stop at campaign donations, what other irrelevant clauses exist as a means to effectively launder money?

The standard language is treaties don't allow for prosecution on issues that aren't a crime in both countries. Reportedly the contributions aren't illegal in the Bahamas. I wish he could be tried on this issue and his contributions to all politicians exposed but his real crimes are the billions of money stolen from people and for that, he needs to rot in jail for a long time.
YouBet
AG
So we decide to follow an extradition treaty with one of the premier world powers in...the Bahamas?

Yet same government ignores US Supreme Court rulings and conducts coups and runs shadow governments against a sitting US President.

Cool.
ABATTBQ11
AG
DargelSkout said:

It's their choice to extradite or not. They can add whatever conditions they want to extradition. The alternative is not trying him for anything.
Ag with kids
AG
Kansas Kid said:

In the fashion of someone trying to profit from the political means, he says he funneled a similar amount of donations to the Republicans as well. I think the campaign finance charges would have been the least of his problems.
There's documented proof he gave to Dems and no proof he gave to Republicans other than "he said so".

Considering he's been charged with numerous counts of fraud, I'd say that perhaps his word is not exactly the best...
Kansas Kid
Ag with kids said:

Kansas Kid said:

There's documented proof he gave to Dems and no proof he gave to Republicans other than "he said so".

Considering he's been charged with numerous counts of fraud, I'd say that perhaps his word is not exactly the best...

It was also in the indictment that he did it.

"Bankman-Fried designated one of those executives as the company's face of donations to Democrats, and the other to donate to Republicans, even though the executives "did not necessarily support or know" the candidates, according to the filing.
The two executives "made over 300 political contributions, totaling tens of millions of dollars, that were unlawful because they were made in the name of a straw donor or paid for with corporate funds," the filing said. This was in addition to tens of millions in donations Bankman-Fried made in his own name."
Yesterday
AG
Kansas Kid said:

Ag with kids said:

Kansas Kid said:

It was also in the indictment that he did it.

"Bankman-Fried designated one of those executives as the company's face of donations to Democrats, and the other to donate to Republicans, even though the executives "did not necessarily support or know" the candidates, according to the filing.
The two executives "made over 300 political contributions, totaling tens of millions of dollars, that were unlawful because they were made in the name of a straw donor or paid for with corporate funds," the filing said. This was in addition to tens of millions in donations Bankman-Fried made in his own name."

Again no proof

This thing is so transparent. Dude donates millions to democrats. Flees to Bahamas where magically the one stipulation they have to extradite is that he can't be charged for illegal political campaign contributions.

I mean what the luck this guy has!!!
ac04
most of the money went to dems, but he definitely donated to both:

rausr
AG
Kansas Kid
You notice how Republicans aren't saying anything about these charges being dropped. Why?

"FTX Digital Markets Co-CEO Ryan Salame has donated $4 million to a political action committee aligned with Republican candidates"

This is the guy that was designated by SBF to donate to Republicans.

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2022/04/11/ftx-co-ceo-donates-4m-to-republican-pac-ahead-of-midterm-elections/?outputType=amp
Robert L. Peters
They got you all infuriated and triggered.

Muh Dems have a duel justice system. Muh Dems are ripping us off.

Trust me. It's both parties. The Ukraine fiasco is one example.

Deep state uniparty.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.