We are probably going to lose the next war with China

5,989 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The U.S. military's decisive advantage in combat has long relied upon its superior ability to close kill chains against adversaries.

This advantage is now at risk. China has observed how kill chain dominance has enabled U.S. forces to swiftly prosecute targets with near impunity, and it has subsequently developed strategies and capabilities to obstruct or collapse the ability of the United States to close kill chains.

One such warfighting strategy, called "system destruction," is designed to obstruct kill chains by jamming U.S. datalinks and communications, degrading or destroying U.S. sensors and shooters across all domains, and forcing U.S. and coalition forces to operate outside the ranges they need to independently locate and employ weapons against targets in the first place.

The capabilities China has designed as part of this strategy are, indeed, eroding the U.S. military's ability to close its kill chains at the scale and speed required for decisive operations during a peer conflict. If the United States is unable to maintain kill chain dominance in the face of these challenges, it greatly increases the risk of losing a conflict with China.

How China will destroy the US Kill Chain
rgag12
AG
You could've just said they'll win because they have a billion more people and one of the biggest countries in the world.
Moral High Horse
Would it matter really?

GAC06
AG
It's like you heard the term "kill chain" and wanted to see how many times you can use it
D-Fens
What makes you say that?

MaxPower
Time to restart the rods from God program.
shack009
AG
Neocon military industrial complex think tanks and China hawks.
AirborneAg04
OP probably could not describe a kill chain.
Sq 17
Everybody is going to lose the next war with China FIFY
Personally don't think it happens
the CCP oligarchs are very comfortable I doubt they want to risk it
The supply chain was in shambles because of Covid, A war with China would be way worse for the supply chain massive shortages of everything global economy will cease to function
Get Off My Lawn
The reason we lose to China would be a terrain issue. If we're trying to stop their boats from crossing to Taiwan,; we probably win (even with our Navy dressed in drag). If it's a land war: they're too large, too populated, and too far for us to make much of a dent with an invasion force.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
dude at this point we can't stop some goat herders in afghanistan

FTAG 2000
AG
We already lost it. Their White House puppet is systematically trashing everything that would give us the edge.
Kozmozag
The way we are going China may not want the u.s.
ironmanag
AG

Nah we good. China is shaking in their boots.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
FratboyLegend
What is a kill chain and where do I get one?
#CertifiedSIP
BadMoonRisin
AG
I think it's like a turnover chain in CFB, but with kills.
Eliminatus
AG
AirborneAg04 said:

Definitely latched on a new to him buzzword super hard , didn't he.
ballchain
Win At Life
AG
Maybe so. But when the world runs out of oil for jet fuel, it will be really hard to stop their 200,000,000 man army on horseback.
FrioAg 00
AG
It's literally just a fancy way to say identify, monitor, attack and destroy enemy assets.

The entire premise of the article OP read is that China is working to develop its cyber capabilities to prevent identification and monitoring, basically making our surveillance info not work.

My response would be "well duh". Which military isn't working in cyber capability in the battle theatre? I haven't seen any evidence that they or anyone other than maybe Israel (an ally) are actually catching up.
Ghost Mech
D-Fens said:

What makes you say that?

FIFY.....

Kill chains don't matter when you control the top link through bribes, extortion, and crackhead sons.
FIDO95
AG

Interview with Peter Navarro by Patrick Bet-David. Navarro convinced that de-coupling from China is the only way to survive the coming conflict. The sooner the better as we our rapidly losing time. States doesn't matter how much more advanced our Navy is because they can defeat it with "asymmetrical warfare", i.e. a missile worth less than a million dollars and sink a 5 billion dollar carrier. They only need one to hit and they have warehouses of these missiles. Bet-David pushed back with the Zeihan narrative that China's demographics was in decline to which Navarro countered that that is actually going to make conflict more likely. China will resort to a "wag the dog" narrative to galvanize the country behind war with Taiwan and US. Scary stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OPAG
AG
From a simplistic point of view, to me the real question is the ability to make and deploys some sort of EMT devise that renders all our tech advantages null and void and then we revert back to old style, WWII type of warfare.
"only one thing is important!"
sodycracker
AG
ballchain said:

We could hit a few dams and some strategic urban target centers and the CCP would be crippled. Half of their population would be in dire circumstances.

Says the guy who only wishes he was a kill chain
TxTarpon
Time to let China find new consumer markets?
Imagine if they fell into economic depression with 2 billion people.
Unrest, revolution.

We should send them our homeless people to live in their ghost cities.
----------------------------------
Texans make the best songwriters because they are the best liars.-Rodney Crowell

We will never give up our guns Steve, we don't care if there is a mass shooting every day of the week.
-BarronVonAwesome

A man with experience is not at the mercy of another man with an opinion.
Stmichael
AG
Far be it from me to get between Forum 16 and a gripe about how the end is nigh, but I've got a counter point.

China imports some 80% of their energy, the vast majority of which is shipped by oil tanker from the Middle East some 8000 miles away. For all China's hordes of people and rampant expansion of their navy, they still have not cracked the code on building or operating a navy with a range greater than a few hundred miles. Their navy is tailor made to invade Taiwan, and not much else.

This is a catastrophic vulnerability for China if any war were to break out. They would have no means of protecting the bulk of their energy supply. In less than a month, industry shuts down, and a month after that comes mass famine that kills hundreds of millions.
ClickClack
AG
KILL CHAIN KILL CHAIN KILL CHAAAAIIIIIIN AHHHHH
FrioAg 00
AG
To me it still boils down to the motivation and morale of the troops in the fight.

Relying on conscripted, inexperienced young soldiers who don't want to be there is why Russia has faired so poorly in this invasion.

Most of China's military is super untrained, underpaid and forced into service due to lack of opportunity

Do you remember how fast Iraq's "7th largest standing army" folded during dessert storm?

The real concern here is what our communist leaders have done to our own professional military, demoralizing and dismantling it. My sons are coming of age and at least two of them likely would have strongly considered a military career. Today not so much - if they want woke garbage they can get it in the private sector and have an easier life.
Old Sarge
AG
ClickClack said:

KILL CHAIN KILL CHAIN KILL CHAAAAIIIIIIN AHHHHH

So THAT was the song playing on Liquid Metal for the drive home yesterday. Soon to be on my Playlist for sure!
Ag in Tiger Country
AG
All this gloom & doom about Chinese dominance omits one key piece: a militarized Japan; the Japanese have a navy, technology, and their islands offer a staging area very close to China.

Of course our Potatoe-in-Chief and his party's assinine policies negate this and other advantages that we used to enjoy; accordingly, it's the stupidity of Progressive Liberals that offsets our advantages- NOT China (unless you recognize they're behind it all).
tremble
AG
Eliminatus said:

AirborneAg04 said:

Definitely latched on a new to him buzzword super hard , didn't he.

OP is 100% MFBarnes. I've been convinced for a while.
RoadkillBBQ
If we end up in a war with China, the most interesting dynamic will be what happens here in CONUS. There's no way China doesn't have assets here that will hit our infrastructure. There are thousands of Chinese crossing our southern border. They're not all looking for a job.
Jock 07
AG
GAC06 said:

It's like you heard the term "kill chain" and wanted to see how many times you can use it

Ha, don't tell him about F2T2EA
Jock 07
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

It's literally just a fancy way to say identify, monitor, attack and destroy enemy assets.

The entire premise of the article OP read is that China is working to develop its cyber capabilities to prevent identification and monitoring, basically making our surveillance info not work.

My response would be "well duh". Which military isn't working in cyber capability in the battle theatre? I haven't seen any evidence that they or anyone other than maybe Israel (an ally) are actually catching up.

And space/counter space
FJB24
Stmichael said:

Far be it from me to get between Forum 16 and a gripe about how the end is nigh, but I've got a counter point.

China imports some 80% of their energy, the vast majority of which is shipped by oil tanker from the Middle East some 8000 miles away. For all China's hordes of people and rampant expansion of their navy, they still have not cracked the code on building or operating a navy with a range greater than a few hundred miles. Their navy is tailor made to invade Taiwan, and not much else.

This is a catastrophic vulnerability for China if any war were to break out. They would have no means of protecting the bulk of their energy supply. In less than a month, industry shuts down, and a month after that comes mass famine that kills hundreds of millions.
That presumes we'd try to shut down their energy/oil imports. Also, they are building more and more nuclear plants, in addition to coal (lot's from Australia), plus they import a bunch from Russia as well.

Any shooting war with China (whether over Taiwan or more broadly) would be so disruptive globally it would likely be over within a month/before in-country oil reserves would be depleted, likely. Global food supply/goods should take priority over anything else.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.